PDA

View Full Version : nparticles and substeps.

stooch
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I have an emitter shooting out some leader particles with a very strong volume field affecting their positions. I want the particles to fly along the volume field as fast as possible. The problem is that I am also emitting streamer particles out of the leader particles and obviously im getting straight line segments between the leader particle positions. I cranked up my substeps to 10 on both nucleus solvers but it seems that this setting has no effect on my simulation.

How can i force maya to calculate substeps for nparticles? or does this setting only apply to collisions?

Calibrix
07-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I believe that over sampling may be what you are looking for. Although, expressions only evaluate once per frame.

HowardM
07-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Do you mean this?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=851283&highlight=particle+streaks

stooch
07-08-2011, 12:19 AM
im not using any expressions at all. trying to keep this light and fast.

the idea is to make lightning effects. its working great, i just wanted some more detail between the leader particle positions. bummer. its a good looking effect as is, just wanted to add some more cowbell.. :(

im thinking that the problem is caused by the force field, its a curve field but it only evaluates once per frame, since most of my movement is caused by the field, im thinking that the stepping is tied to that, rather than the nparticles.

Calibrix
07-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Then you might try doing the effect in slow motion and retiming the nCache to speed it back up.

stooch
07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
yeah i thought of that, would rather not have to do that but just might have to :(

it would be nice if the substeps just worked like expected. anyway, thanks for taking the time.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.