PDA

View Full Version : Which one is better for me "Nuke" or "Fusion" or "Toxik"

zelda64
07-07-2011, 01:36 AM
I use Maya.
I am thinking to learn a serious compositing package.
I'm a SFX and Rendere artist but need to learn serious post processing too.
I will combine passes and layers.

can you tell me which one is better : "Nuke" or "Fusion" or "Toxik"

Later on i may consider to buy one of the three.

Thank you.

pingking
07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
if you own maya toxik comes with it, its called maya composite

zelda64
07-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks pingking .

But is Toxik as powerful as Nuke and Fusion ?

If not which is better : Nuke or Fusion ?

pingking
07-08-2011, 10:15 AM
threads about which is better are not allowed here

zelda64
07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
OK pingking

gauranga108
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I just spent two weeks learning Composite. It was ok for my 3d render passes cartoon compositing but it's not stable. Crashes left right and centre, I think it's free for a reason, sloppy program not meant for real world work IMO. Seems like an app made by non-compositors. Iff sequences are not the recommended format, tga or exr, no iff, iff is maya's format and composite doesn't like it as much as others, BS!

I just spent last week learning Nuke and it's more then stable it's teaching me what an image really is and how to manipulate it. It's definitely a Pro app. I already feel comfortable with it's advanced workflow. It's an app designed by pro compositors tested in pro pipelines on pro projects and you feel that. If you like Maya you'll like Nuke. Python is built right in like in maya and there's loads of free tuts to get anyone up and running.

Fusion used it many years ago and I still call it Con-Fusion. Hard app to learn.

Go with Nuke because there's loads of free tutorials and support and a future. Composites future is very unknown. Fusion would be second choice if you can figure it out and work around the 32 bit less support in areas. You use Maya so you're probably use to Maya's support in forums from being the most used, well nuke is the same but in the compositing field. Maya is king and so is nuke.

pingking
08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
If you like Maya you'll like Nuke. Python is built right in like in maya and there's loads of free tuts to get anyone up and running.

Fusion used it many years ago and I still call it Con-Fusion. Hard app to learn.

fusion has also build in python scripting

for me nuke was a bit harder to learn, because all of the multi channel stuff, but in the end you can do great stuff with nuke and fusion

what do you mean by:
Fusion would be second choice if you can figure it out and work around the 32 bit less support in areas.

jaygarrison3d
08-26-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm tweaking on a composite I did in Toxik as we speak. A while back I thought i'd try a few shots in our film with it. This is before I knew better.

I made a serious effort to learn Composit (toxik). Hey it's free and it's there why not right? But yeah, as a previous poster commented, it's free for a reason. Too bad, it's so almost an amazing program, I actually like a lot of it's workflow. Just unstable, very lacking in features, no plugins, etc. There's a rare occasion that I still use it. But I would never suggest it as a primary compositing app.

My 2 cents.

behrooz
09-07-2011, 08:04 AM
does nuke suitable for 3dsmax users?

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2011, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.