PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Occlusion Pass White

mechaniac
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
hello guys,

I do have a problem with creating an Occlusion pass with the mental ray passes. Ive tried it several times on different projects and it never worked. I always had to go back to using render layers, but I think using a pass would be way more comfortable and I wanted to give it another shot on my current project.
Still no luck. It always renders blank white.
Ive created a testscene with some cubes to demonstrate the issue. As you can see, when using the renderlayer it works fine.
http://data.stan.at/pics/stan.at/temp/AO_trouble/AO_trouble_01.jpg

but when I want to use a render pass

http://data.stan.at/pics/stan.at/temp/AO_trouble/AO_trouble_02.jpg

Anybody knows what this is about?

JWRodegher
07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Have you checked in indirect lighting in the mental ray tabs, that you have ambient occlusion "on"?
If you havenīt checked it, check, if it isnīt "on", turn it on and then test the pass again. It should work.

brucem91
07-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Have you checked in indirect lighting in the mental ray tabs, that you have ambient occlusion "on"?
If you havenīt checked it, check, if it isnīt "on", turn it on and then test the pass again. It should work.
This will fix it, yes. I am curious as to why you would prefer the AO pass vs a render layer. I always create my AO in a render layer, I personally find I get more control with the mr ao shader vs the pass AO settings.

JWRodegher
07-07-2011, 04:20 AM
If you use the "ao pass" instead of render layer, you get normal/bump/displace detail with it, that's pretty neat. Plus you have less layers in your render setup and narrow down the chances for maya to screw up your scene. That's always a good thing.

mechaniac
07-07-2011, 09:47 AM
thanks guys! that did it!
much appreciated

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2011, 09:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.