PDA

View Full Version : Render Farms... most common...?

sinistar
07-06-2011, 12:58 AM
What would be the most common render farms for use with Maya? Can anyone give a quick rundown of pros and cons of some?

brucem91
07-06-2011, 06:05 AM
I personally use a 2 computer mental ray satellite farm at home. Some of the advantages:
It's free (well, with the purchase of maya)
Easy to setup slaves on Mac OS X and somewhat Linux (I've been unsuccessful with getting MR slave to run on win7)
Easy to work with. All I do is hit render on my iMac (either preview render or batch, doesn't matter) and if "use network machines" is selected and mental ray is my renderer, it will render using both computers
Also very easy to create the farm file

Cons:
May take a few min to setup if you haven't done it before
Requires that you use mental ray as your renderer (not a deal-breaker in my opinion at all)
I used to have a glitch in Maya Mac 2011 that the render would freeze if "use network computers" is turned on. Sometimes would hang until I either force-quit maya, wait it out, or remember to connect my slave.

I also recommend that all of your farm computers are on a wired network.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2011, 06:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.