PDA

View Full Version : Organic Topology/Modelling

XieHang
07-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Hello, I am now currently a student study a course on game design. And one of the module is to model a full character using Maya 2009. I have learned that faces, are not supposed to have triangles.

But what about other parts of the body? Like hands and feet, is it okay to have triangles or is it strictly no.

If anyone has some tips or advice to give and share, that would be great.

gorillajin
08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
I am not a professional, but I believe that if you are modeling a game character, it's ok to have triangles. I personally don't do game modeling so I try to make not to make any tris though. If you have to make a model with only quads, you can have a few tris in areas where is hidden. Like bottom of foot, inside ears, etc.
If you have to have tris on surface of body, make sure to make it where it doesn't deform a lot. No tris on joint area.
I am sure someone will answer in better way.

Psyk0
08-24-2011, 09:56 PM
The reason you want quads for game models is for faster edgeloop manipulation, that will speed up the workflow for UV mapping and rigging. Plus it's easier for the human eye to "read" quads.

In the end, game models are all made of triangles wether you want it or not. That is how computers handle geometry, and it's safe to assume that 99,9% of game engines will triangulate your meshes once they go through the export/import process.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2011, 09:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.