PDA

View Full Version : Computer Graphics Degree Online/Offline

CD4
07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi! I 'm a Sn.Shader artist from India.I'm having 8+ years of experience in CGI.Sadly, i 've no bachelor degree.My question: Is there any possibility that i can get Computer graphics or related to 3D development degree online from any recognized university?Please kindly let me know if anyone has any info.Thanking you all.

Peace!!
Koushik

cnadams
07-14-2011, 01:32 AM
G'Day Koushik,

The question is - Do you really need one? What type of jobs are you going for? 8+ years of experience and a portfolio of work should be enough for any shader/TD role. If you're going for a software dev style role then yes, a degree would be usefull, but you'd be better off going for a pure computer science / applied science degree from a physical university.

Hope that helps,
Cam

CD4
07-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Hi Cam,
Thanks for writing.Well,yes I got your point.yes I'm studying shader writing.so I thought having solid fundamental and in-depth knowledge in Computer graphics is necessary.But, yes having good profile and experience more than enough to apply for a Shading/TD role.A computer science degree will only help me in software development.Anyway I still do a lot of study regarding computer graphics with my own interest.Hopefully I can reach my goal.Thanks again.:)

Regards,
Koushik

gregjenings
07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
After 8 years of experience if you require degree in computer graphics then it's like going back to school again as no institute or college would provide you anything more than what you already know.
You have also not mentioned you background in terms of education so if you opt for pure science degrees as suggested by cnadams ,you may find difficult to adapt .

CD4
07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
After 8 years of experience if you require degree in computer graphics then it's like going back to school again as no institute or college would provide you anything more than what you already know.
You have also not mentioned you background in terms of education so if you opt for pure science degrees as suggested by cnadams ,you may find difficult to adapt .

Well,there is no school will teach you Computer graphics.:) You need to join university brother coz CG aint only about pressing buttons.Its about a bridge between Art and Science.Self study will take longer time to understand any damn of those algorithms,unless you are like super geek .That's why i asked for any "ONLINE" course..Yes I've got no bachelor degree ,i motioned before..Please read the threat completely and i'm not studying CG for 8 yrs tho.Btw,Computer Graphics itself is a vast subject..If you know ,you would never reply like above.I never mentioned Computer Science though.But i totally agree with Cam.Hope that helps you.A degree in Computer Graphics will help me in future for sure, at least to obtain a VISA :P.

Check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_graphics
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-837-computer-graphics-fall-2003/#description

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Graphics-Principles-Practice-2nd/dp/0201848406
( "Recommended for the hardcore programming freaks." )

gregjenings
07-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Your reply suggests that your only motto is to get visa abroad ,rather than education,I don't find an iota of truth in your post except that you are highly arrogant ,if you don't have experience in the relevant field then please don't mention it.Try to be more mature in your reply because people are here only to help you .
I don't need those links if you are well aware of it then why are you putting a post here.
In your Country annamalaiuniversity.ac.in and www.smude.edu.in (http://www.smude.edu.in) has started some new courses related to your post go and check out whether they are online or not,I suppose they are .

CD4
07-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Haha dude.Don't be so rude here.I was just kidding.Afterall we are all artists in here.I opened this thread to collect some info regarding the course,not to listen some bogus reply from you.You are noone to judge others ability right.I can only thank you for the link which you Google it and useless.Anyway,you sound immature to me now.You proved that you had no clue bout the subject I asked for and you simply replied coz I mentioned 8 yrs in my experience.Thanks for your precious time.

gregjenings
07-18-2011, 04:05 AM
well I am rude b'coz I pointed out your real motto of getting visa or b'coz I have provided you links which you yourself can google out if you wanted but well those Universities don't provide you the visa off course.Anyway if you find it rude so be it.

CD4
07-18-2011, 04:38 AM
Yeah everybody wants a job in abroad for better challenge and career..Yeah I need degree to go abroad and require degree in any studio you name it. There is no shame in it.btw the link you posted,They ve no subject regarding CG..Haha do some study about this field and come back to CgTalk.That's all I can say.I never asked for your help.:P

Gravedigger
07-18-2011, 06:29 AM
hi koushik

i think i agree with Cameron. to find a job as a shader writer you usually don't need a degree in computer science. did you try to apply for a visa already? which countries did you try? some countries are pretty nasty when it gets to distributing visa to certain countries as i've heard from some friends. usually if you get a studio interested in you they can assist you in getting a visa

studying computer graphics wouldn't help you that much in your career as shader writer. of course there are quite a few subjects that are important like signal processing for example but you don't need to know all the details of this subject to get a better understanding of what you are doing. computer science would rather be needed when you go to work in the R&D departement for example.

i would in your case rethink your possiblities and check whether a degree in computer science would really get you where you want to go

grs
Patrik

CD4
07-18-2011, 07:17 AM
hi koushik

i think i agree with Cameron. to find a job as a shader writer you usually don't need a degree in computer science. did you try to apply for a visa already? which countries did you try? some countries are pretty nasty when it gets to distributing visa to certain countries as i've heard from some friends. usually if you get a studio interested in you they can assist you in getting a visa

studying computer graphics wouldn't help you that much in your career as shader writer. of course there are quite a few subjects that are important like signal processing for example but you don't need to know all the details of this subject to get a better understanding of what you are doing. computer science would rather be needed when you go to work in the R&D departement for example.

i would in your case rethink your possiblities and check whether a degree in computer science would really get you where you want to go

grs
Patrik

Hi Patrik,
Thanks for your suggestions.Yes i totally understand the value of Computer science in RnD.I thought Computer Graphics is the core study of CGI.Well, i didnt try any company yet and i'm currently doing self study and yes some company can assist to get VISA. Here are some hints of the course description about Computer Graphics:

Course Description :
Introduction, CRT Display Devices, Transformations in 2D, Three Dimensional Graphics, 3D Viewing, Scan Converting Lines, Circles and Ellipses, Lines And Polygons, Solid Modelling, Visible Surface Detection, Illumination and Shading, Curve Representation, Anti Aliasing,Color,Soft Objects, Animation, Visual Effects,System Architectures, Digital Image Processing - Image Compression-Jpeg-Enhancements.

Shading and illumination is part of it tho.But,if i can complete or have knowledge in this study i can definitively think out of the box and will not stick to only Shader writing in future.I believe there is no harm studying under the hood.I appreciate your and Cam's point.Thanks again.:)

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2011, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.