PDA

View Full Version : project log on my site

Scott Harris
10-30-2003, 01:09 AM
If you have a minute log onto my site and cheeck out the new "projects" portion of my site. I need some feedback on the functionalilty of the site.

www.meta-phor.com

http://www.meta-phor.com/meteorites/projectsPage.jpg

Scott Harris
11-12-2003, 04:27 PM
come on guys give me some feedback here...

what is your oppinion about having a live update of projects in progress?

http://www.meta-phor.com/petra/toss.jpg

Heimdall
11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
If you need a pat on the back, consider it patted.

The Live update is a good thought, however there's not enough content on each projects to spike my curiousity.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just thought you could add a little more to each project.

The navigation buttons in your gallery, "Next, Previous....etc, kinda get lost within the background.

Maybe you could design the display a little more.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice site. The look is nice and the graphics are unique. Nice approach with your nave Bar.

-Heimdall

Scott Harris
11-12-2003, 11:04 PM
pats on the back dont help much and I get enough of it at the museum openings...

that type of advice is just what im looking for. I know the navigation is not what it could be but I'm not a web designer and crtique like that is what I'm looking for.

and more suggestions?

after all this isnt really an art piece... its more of a log...
thanks for the help have any more?

as for content...well i guess that will just take time. The two projects posted are actualy finished already and I'm actualy back tracking befor I start my next one...

I'm mostly looking for advice on the usability of this and how you guys think its working out...

Heimdall
11-14-2003, 03:40 PM
I know what you mean about lack of critiques.

I work with nothing but marketers and coders. Two groups who have alot to say, but very little qualification.

-Heimdall

mmProj
11-15-2003, 12:04 PM
hi to you,

great navigation idea there ! ... love the anim of the ground ... good work ! .. love the way you have layed out your gallery items.

ok i will try and help you out with some suggestions on your content and framing.... my crits are intended to help you... in no specific order.

MAJOR CRITS:

1. i think your site needs to be framed more ...... i would love to see sky something at the top..... similar to your ground... there by framing it all in there ...... the sky wouldnt necessarily need to be any kind of nav system

2. your text is quite hard to read ...... i know grey tones are nice but you cant sacrifice readibility for style ..... maybe use a white for your text... there is also room to make it smaller ...... MAYBE verdana white 10pt .... OR ... visit www.fontsforflash.com ... they have some very nice crisp pixel fonts.

3. consistency...... you have a great beginning of a nice theme there .... go with it throught your whole site .... use it for your gallery items when they are viewed.... use it everywhere.

4. the darker grey colours everywhere really .... like in the projects section .... your frames ........ you need some brighter highlights ....... the eye is always drawn down to your colourful ground cross section.

SMALLER CRITS:

1. i didnt notice the three different sub sections in your gallery section till i looked at your site the second time ..... maybe put in a label on each sub section ... different grass colour... something.

2. the gallery item viewing section should really be contained in your navigation system.... ie ... ground cross section below.

3. the gallery buttons "back" "previous" "next".... need to be more obvious.

4. the tween of your ground and project icons when i have selected project .... could do with some easing or a slight bounce like your gallery items have.

5. just saw your resume section ..... see white text looks great .... yellow headers work really well ! ..... except the text is unreadable....... for text boxs... ALWAYS have there x and y values as whole integers ...not 12.1 for example.... else the text blurs for some reason.

thats all i can think of for now ..... i hope this helps.

-mmProj

mmProj
11-15-2003, 12:11 PM
oh i forgot to say ....... i really cant figure out what your calendar thing is for ..... if the small squares dont represent special dates for your projects and only link to an overview of the specific project.....it is kinda confusing to have it in there.

again..... great work..... hehe love those little sphere trees.

Scott Harris
11-17-2003, 03:39 PM
damn dude... thats a whole lot of help.

Thanks alot. You bring up alot of interesting points and ideas that will really help... I always wondered why my resume looked blury no matter what I tried... never thought it might be the size of the box, so THANKS so much for the clue.

you guys rock.

Scott Harris
11-17-2003, 03:51 PM
mmProj i just looked at your site. I like it and I have a question...

when I roll off your buttons they go back to their position with reverse animation rather then just jump cutting back like mine do...

how did you do that?

mmProj
11-18-2003, 10:19 AM
hmmmmmmm ok i will have a go at explaining this ...... i hope it makes sense.

for buttons that require neat animations on roll over and roll out and click etc ........ i dont use button symbols ...... you can use movies with action script that controls what happens when you roll over etc........ dunno if its the best way to do things but its what i do.

not sure if you know but its good practice to have all your action script in its own layer... so keep that in mind when i explain.

so to achieve the buttons (actually movie symbols) you saw i created a movie with a stop on frame one keyframe in action script layer . obviously when nothing is happening ..... at frame 2 - 10 it has a motion tween with easing (for when you roll over)... on frame 10 keyframe in action script layer there is a stop .... then frame 11 - 20 there is a motion tween that goes back to where it originally was (for roll out)... in key frame in action script layer there is gotoAndStop(1)......... so thats how you set the movie up.

to control it you use the code like this.

_root.movieName.onRollOver = function() {
_root.movieName.gotoAndPlay(2);
};

_root.movieName.onRollOut - function() {
// this is so it tweens from the same spot when you roll out.. depending on how big your movie is and where the middle is the 10 might change
_root.movieName.gotoAndPlay((10 - _root.movieName._currentframe) + 10) ;
};

and ofcourse you make up what happens for onPress etc.

geesh i hope i explained properly.......if you dont get it i can just send you a fla..... oh by the way ....... its a waste of time doing this for all buttons you create ... for simple clickables just use a button symbol.

sanks
- mmProj

Scott Harris
11-18-2003, 05:56 PM
thanks for that...

I think I got it but I'd love if you could send me a FLA... if its not too much trouble.

I am keeping your advice ant crit. in mind and will update my site soon but I am just booked with work... NYC is being very good to me at the moment...

mmProj
11-20-2003, 12:01 PM
hi to you,

just sent you a pm re: the fla ... check you box.

- mmProj

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.