PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Deadly Design Website

stigma
10-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Well, I made everything on that website. The news on the right is dynamicaly loaded from a .txt file, and the images under recent art is loading from a .jpg file. Comments/Crits are appreciated.

http://www.deadlydesign.net

Annuostivix
10-30-2003, 07:10 AM
man, that's a pretty big site. I see a lot of places where I think you used jpegs, but could have used vectors. Maybe you didn't use jpegs, but it does look like it.

At any rate, I felt like maybe it could have been smaller. Something seemed wrong for the content I got, especially since the wall paper hadn't even loaded yet and such. If the base site is over 150k, that's quite a bit for a simple site. Some people might disagree, in fact a lot would, but that's my opinion anyways.

I was at a site the other night that was 2.5 megs, heh. but it had incredible animation so I'm not complaining too much.

At any rate, I felt like your site was in need of some optimization. Your load progress bar could maybe have some fancying up if you're going to keep your site large.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of out users out there are using cable, but still get rates of around 20kbps. And dial up is still a big market. The site took me about one minute and maybe a bit to load, so half way through I was considering coming back to cgtalk.

On a lighter note though, you've got a good design and I like how you took advantage of flashes dynamics in some areas. Not enough people do. I liked your menu style a lot, it was interesting. But the layout does consist of a lot of jpegs, right? And the splash screen... it took me about seven seconds to load.

I'm not tearing down your methods by any means, feel free to use larger file sizes and stuff. You will maybe end up providing services to less people though, especially in some cases like this. If someone was looking for services, shopping artound, and viewed a site similar to yours (Say they used a more optimized interface) but then came across yours, it would load slower. They might be turned off by that, and assume the other artist had a better grasp on what they were doing.

That's just my opinion still :) I like your website. I hope I was helpful. But definitely dont take what I am saying too seriously, because I'm not super experienced in flash.

Good job :D

stigma
10-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Well, one thing that makes the file sizes larger would be that the entire site is in one file because I couldn't figure out how to use the loadmovie function properly. Any tips?

IonDesign
10-30-2003, 02:54 PM
I think the layout is decent, although it is very similar to 2advanced's current site.
It could use some contrast. It seems too monotone with all the grays. Maybe you could use a bright accent color.

ID

nimba
11-06-2003, 02:45 AM
i dont get it.. it says deadly design.. but which implies skills... but.. that was tackie at best. please... whatever u do.. fix that preloader...please.

there is some 2advanced rippidge going on.. but thats not the problem.. alot of sites do that

the problem is that this is 2advanced rippage, cut out with a really dull knife.

some things u might wanna do:

speed up the animation (higher fps)

optimize the jpegs.. or use less.

involve some motion.. something to catch attention.

change the font scheme to something more professional looking

change the colour scheme to something more pollished and bright

instead of wanderful "grey" jpeg menus.. try some actual pictures blended in with the interface.

plz.. no more tacky back-grounds for people to download.

an intro would be nice too. (but plz.. dont rush that)

dont use the default flash sound effects for ur buttons.. u know.. the stuff that came with the program.. no

try www.flashkit.com for some resources.
also www.ultrashock.com is a great community

ok.... spend some time looking at other good sites, and that should raise the standard for your design. Sometimes, that counts more, and skill comes with inspiration.

Ghostscape
11-06-2003, 03:42 PM
One of your links is broken (which exited me out of the flash and forced me to start loading again), your preloader seems to spend forever at 74% this machine, I'm not really digging the blue shiny skull, the grey isn't very exciting.

That's about all I've got to contribute.

stigma
11-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Don't worry guys, I've decided to re-do it because the more I work on it, the more I hate it

and btw, I downloaded the sounds for the buttons

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.