PDA

View Full Version : Rigging the mouth

Xetil
07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi, i dont have a lot of experience with rigging, especially not the face,
so im wondering if anyone could maybe give me som pointers in the
right direction, on how you think is best to rig a human mouth as realistic as possible?
If there are some learning tutorials you know of im gladly to have a look at
them too..

Thank you

shinyprem
07-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi..!
One bone at the 2 corners of the lip and one in the middle of top and bottom lip. 1 each on the either side of the mid bone on the upper and lower lip.
Rgds,

nemeru
07-04-2011, 10:44 PM
There are oh so many ways to do this:

bone rigging - basically treat every muscle in the face as a bone and create one for it.
blendshapes - create a variety of sculpted poses that together will work and make the character believable
clusters - mostly same as with the bone setup, only different nodes.
blendshape + clusters - hit most of the needed poses with just blendshapes, but create secondary controls - clusters - along the face geometry to give the animators even more freedom so that no pose looks the same

there are whole books on how to do this... i believe in maya->character rigging is a sticky forum on facial rigging. be sure to check it out.

the way you finally choose will very depend on how you feel about sculpting, what are the studio's requirements, what type of character, and if the character will get a close-up.

-peter

Xetil
07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
alrite, thanks a lot. Ill check out that sticky too.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.