PDA

View Full Version : Maya viewport transparency sorting problem

lipuster
07-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Hello,

I have made a character entirely made of planes with textures with alpha mapped on to them. The problem is maya dosen't always sort the transparencies correctly. Depending on the camera view, sometimes planes that are behind other planes appear in front of them and vice versa. As you can see in the attached images, in the first one, the viewport displays it properly. However, in the second one, both the leg and the back arm appear in front of the torso when i zoom in slightly. During render it appears correctly. However, for me to be able to animate the chracter, I need to be able to see it properly on the viewport itself.

Ive searched around and the general consensus seems to be that it is an unsolved Maya bug. That's very demoralisng. If anyone has any solution to this, id be very grateful.

Thank you for your time.

animatedfox
07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Two thoughts,
Firstly, in your viewport, turn on polygon transparency sorting under the shading menu.
This should do the trick.
The other thought that could be of use, depending on the scale of your scene. If you have a large scene sometimes the default camera clipping plane settings can cause some display issues. Try increasing the Near Clip Plane to .5 or 1...this probably isn't the issue...but it can help in other situations.
I think the first one will do the trick...hopefully!

lipuster
07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for replying.

I had read about turning on Polygon Transparency Shading via google. However, in my case, its not affecting anything at all. The sorting is same with or without it.If, however, after turning it on, I turn off object transparency sorting, the sorting gets even more messed up.

And , sadly, the near clip plane thing didnt change anything either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.