PDA

View Full Version : 3Delight BLOCKER

gregjenings
07-02-2011, 12:26 PM
In my last production we were given this very wonderful Tool known as Blocker which we used in combination with 3delight lights,the tool provides us visual 3d representation of the gradient which blocks particular lights in that particular area of mesh. where blocker is assigned.
Now I wonder does anybody else has used similar kind of tool in their production pipeline,if yes I was wondering whether this tool is a Renderman functionality or a simple MEL/PYTHON script.
I was looking for this tool on internet but unfortunately couldn't find anything related to it.If any one has this Tool please share it.

Thanks

P.S. Can we use this tool with other renderers like MentaRay or Vray.

earlyworm
07-02-2011, 08:08 PM
It's part of the uberlight shader http://www.renderman.org/RMR/Shaders/BMRTShaders/uberlight.sl which is included with 3delight distribution. In the assignment panel assign the uberlight shader to a light (spot, directional) and create a 3delight coordinate system (rename it to something like "blocker") then within the settings for the uberlight insert the name of the coordinate system shape node (ie... "blockerShape") into the blockercoords attribute.

Not sure whether it's possible in other renderers.

gregjenings
07-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks earlyworm,I tried that but unfortunately thats not what I was looking for.
what I am looking for is visual representation of blocker an object which we can move interactively move and change values interactively in the viewport itself more over you can assign it to objects where you don't want your particular light to work where as rest of the scene remains unaffected.

leif3d
07-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Renderman Studio comes with its own blocker workflow with Slim.
I haven't used it extensively, but I know it's there and it works.

ndeboar
07-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks earlyworm,I tried that but unfortunately thats not what I was looking for.
what I am looking for is visual representation of blocker an object which we can move interactively move and change values interactively in the viewport itself more over you can assign it to objects where you don't want your particular light to work where as rest of the scene remains unaffected.

From memory, 3dl for maya has sphere and cube coordinate systems, which you could read into the ubderlight. Most places write custom openGL previews of blockers.

leif3d
07-06-2011, 05:40 AM
You're right Nick, you would have to do some custom workflow for interactivity, because RMS doesn't have an interactive workflow in the viewport either.
The relighting system might be somewhere in between though.

SebKaine
07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
if you want to get a visual representation of where your lights affects object, and were the gradient fade. By default you have the volume light , that i find interesting. You can use it as a sphere and cone to simultate point and spot light. It works fine in mental ray. i encounter some pb with vray and i never try it with 3Delight.

with volume light you can control precisly the gradient intensity and color of your light.Keep in mind that you don't have access to photon or area light with them ... at the begining they looks pretty strange but after some few test i think they can do the job you need .

Anyway I don't know if they are fast and reliable compare to spot and point ? Maybe a mental ray guru can be more helpful on this topic ... :)

gregjenings
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I am aware of 3delight plane and sphere shape blocker but what I am looking for is 3 dimensional blocker which can be modify into cuboid or any other shape and there is gradient control for light falloff effect.

earlyworm
07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately it sounds like the controls your after (volume blocker, falloff, ui) are something custom built by the studio (as Nick pointed out, most studios write custom locators to help visualise this type of thing). Currently the uberlight only offers 2d blockers.

There is a slim template at the end of this paper which was used in Final Fantasy which talks about using blockers with volume. Someone might be able to help you include it into the uberlight or your own custom shader...

http://pharr.org/matt/notes/sig01c48.pdf

gregjenings
07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks earlyworm you understood my point clearly and thanks for that pdf.
The Blocker with volume works far better and they can be used with not only with uberlight but also with any other light too unfortunately I was unable to find a way to implement it( I am not very technical).That is reason I started this thread hoping somebody could help me.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.