PDA

View Full Version : I need to recreate this background

geestring
07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
http://adamgee.ca/test_bg.jpg

My designer made this background in photoshop and forget how she made it! So, I've been given the task of recreating it. I've come close by adding a layer effect>gradient to my pen stroke with pen pressure and applying a radial blur>zoom. However, it's just not the same.

Perhpas, one of you will know where I'm going wrong.

I also used the quickmask mode to paint area where I wanted blur.

Thanks

bellwether
07-03-2011, 07:29 AM
If it were my task, I would start by tracing the outline curves with the pen tool and create a vector masks to simulate the 'brush stroke'.
Attach these masks to individual group layers and use a sub layer with a Gradient Fill Adjustment Layer applied to it inside each group.
Adjust the basic gradient with the Gradient Editor (double click on the gradient in the Gradient Fill window to open it) for each 'brush stroke group'. You can sample the colours for your gradients from the design file with the Colour Sample tool (eye dropper).

You will have to address the areas where the colours tighten up separately on a new layer above the gradient. Looks like some motion blur has been applied to a solid colour. May even have some warp on it.

This will give you plenty of flexibility and maintain editability.

The black background is easy enough.

Also, give your designer a friendly kick up the arse and remind them to be more professional and take notes next time. You are part of a team after all (I presume). ;)

(Do this in RGB mode and make sure your colour profiles are calibrated and correct (i.e. is your designer using the same profile on their machine as yu have on yours). If this is for commercial print output let the printer convert to CMYK and keep your RGB file layered with it's colour profile attached)

gruhn
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
The blur looks like a plain motion blur to me.

lokki
07-11-2011, 06:05 AM
I agree with gruhn... it looks like the shapes were laid down as simple strokes (pen tool), then given a small horizontal motion blur. That layer could then have been duplicated and set to something like Multiply to get the variation. The gradient could be done on a simple Color blend mode, with the black background being all by itself.

Quadart
07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Horizontal motion blur is how itís done, as gruhn suggested.

Just create a vector path, stroke it, then color the line with a soft brush (or gradient filter) and apply the blur.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/bill_77/ribbonX2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.