PDA

View Full Version : .hrd file format

Brettzies
06-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Iím using RSMB_vector with the 2dNormal vector pass out of Maya2010/mentalray. Seems like I can only get .exr files to work with it. Thatís fine, except the files are so big and Iím just working on a personal film, so I try to keep file sizes down if possible(Iím dealing with lots of frames and passes). I tried using .hdr file format out of Maya, and they report as 32bit in Toxik, but they donít work with the RSMB_vector blur. They also look ďoffĒ in color compared to the .exrís. They look more like the 16bit iffís.

So, Iím wondering, is this normal for the .hdr format? Is there something Iím doing wrong in Maya perhaps? Are there any other 32 bit formats I could try with maya/mentalRay/toxik combo?

Kakkoii
06-29-2011, 11:20 PM
HDR's are a linear format and are gamma corrected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging#Comparison_with_traditional_digital_images

Use a gamma correct node and adjust it back to sRGB level.

Isn't Maya IFF meant to support 2d vector passes directly to Toxik also?

Also, what compression are you setting on the EXR's? Perhaps they are so big because of no compression or the wrong type. When you switch to EXR a compression option enables below it. By default, Maya leaves it at None.

ZIP tends to be best for images, especially ones that have lots of solid color blocks like a motion vector pass. And in such situations is usually 2/3 the size of RLE compression, and almost a quarter the size of no compression. ZIP is also lossless.

But when working with 1080p motion passes and 32bit files, file sizes start to get pretty big. If you're really strained for space, just don't render them to the same file. Keep your default pass as something like a PNG (so you can keep transparency if you need it, and still lossless), and set your motion pass to a 32bit format. And just import them separately to Toxik.

Also, this thread might be helpful:
http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/motion-vectors-out-maya-nuke-t24558.html

Brettzies
06-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. I do keep all my other passes in a different format. Right now I'm just rending the vector pass as .exr. One version easily takes 500megs for one shot. Whereas a matte pass of the same frame length could be 7mb for all frames. Could be a mentalRay thing in terms of iff. When you use mentalRay, the iff16 option goes away. I would use the Maya software render with iff16 to output a vector pass, except I'm rendering fur in mentalRay. So, I don't think the mattes would match up. I should probably just give it a shot and see what happens.

Something strange, the "compression" option in Maya under the file format selection pulldown has always been grey-ed out for me for every single format type. Not sure what's going on there. I've wondered why it was even there in the first place. Iff's get compressed by default, tgas do not and grey-ed out compression option. I'll look into and see if I can get it working.

SePu
06-30-2011, 12:18 AM
is gray out because Maya 2011 and earlier didn't support it 2012 and 2011 SAP you can change the compression ...

Kakkoii
06-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Something strange, the "compression" option in Maya under the file format selection pulldown has always been grey-ed out for me for every single format type. Not sure what's going on there. I've wondered why it was even there in the first place. Iff's get compressed by default, tgas do not and grey-ed out compression option. I'll look into and see if I can get it working.

Ahh, yeah, as SePu said, 2011 SP1 and 2012 support compression changing. Although currently in 2012 you can only change compression for OpenEXR. Most other formats don't have other types of compression anyways.

Targa uses a compression similar to RLE.

I wonder if there's a way around that.. Doesn't seem to be =/

Brettzies
06-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Ahh, yeah, as SePu said, 2011 SP1 and 2012 support compression changing. Although currently in 2012 you can only change compression for OpenEXR. Most other formats don't have other types of compression anyways.

Targa uses a compression similar to RLE.

I wonder if there's a way around that..
Well, I'm on subscription so I can use 2012 if need be, but I haven't wanted to upgrade in the middle of this. I was using Targa in 2010 and manually compressing afterwards when I could remember to, until I discovered iffs are compressed. 720p frames are about about 3.6megs uncompressed, an iff matte frame can be as little at 14k. Just seems efficient, I hate wasting space for no good reason.

I wonder if I could install 2012 and grab the file formats somehow. Probably not, but you never know. I should look into it though, moving to 2012, I've been putting it off for a while now.

Turns out the compression button in 2010 and previous is for avis/videos, only one it works on.

Kakkoii
06-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Well I haven't had any problems with things not working when opening 2011 scenes in 2012. So doesn't seem like that big of a process. Install, copy shelves and prefs from 2011 folder in 2012. And install any 2012 versions of plugins that you use..

And yeah I tried that and sadly no. The format options and compression settings are controlled by the ExtensionLayer.dll. Using the dll from 2011 SAP in 2011 throws out an exception error before Maya can even open. =/

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2011, 01:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.