PDA

View Full Version : Procedural texture position problem in vRay

douglasfigueira
06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Hello guys!

I am new in vRay and having some problems with procedural textures position when rendering. The same doesn't happen when rendering in software render or mr.

Maya Software:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4854/softi.jpg

The same image rendered with vRay:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2862/vray.jpg

I am using Maya 2012 and vRay 1.5SP1.

Any advice is very welcome!

Thank you,
Douglas

VanDerGoes
08-24-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm having the same problem. Maybe vray can't translate perfectly maya 3d textures. Can anybody tell if this is solved on vray 2.0?

douglasfigueira
08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm having the same problem. Maybe vray can't translate perfectly maya 3d textures. Can anybody tell if this is solved on vray 2.0?

Yes VanDerGoes, the issue is now fixed in vRay 2.0! :thumbsup:

VanDerGoes
08-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Well, I just tried the 2.0 demo and it's not fixed. I'm trying with a cloud 3d texture on a plane, its place 3d tex scaled by a lot (like 500). Depth of the texture = 20. Software render gets all the fine detrail, vray renders a very blurred image.

douglasfigueira
08-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Well, I just tried the 2.0 demo and it's not fixed. I'm trying with a cloud 3d texture on a plane, its place 3d tex scaled by a lot (like 500). Depth of the texture = 20. Software render gets all the fine detrail, vray renders a very blurred image.

You can send me a simple test file and I can try here!

djx
08-25-2011, 06:11 AM
I dont think vray does an exact conversion of these procedural textures, although it attempts to preserve the same look and feel. I have not done any direct comparisons, but I've noticed that some procedural attributes have no effect in vray.

David

VanDerGoes
08-25-2011, 09:46 AM
http://www.fisheyestudio.it/ftp/Vray_3dTex_problem.zip

Here you can find a test scene.

VanDerGoes
08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I dont think vray does an exact conversion of these procedural textures, although it attempts to preserve the same look and feel. I have not done any direct comparisons, but I've noticed that some procedural attributes have no effect in vray.

David

Yes, it seems that vray doesn't go over 2 or 3 fractal recursions.

douglasfigueira
08-25-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.fisheyestudio.it/ftp/Vray_3dTex_problem.zip

Here you can find a test scene.

Sorry VanDerGoes :banghead:

Just now I realize that you are working with 3D texture... The issue fixed in vRay 2.0 was about 2D procedural textures. When I made this thread, I was trying with vRay 1.5 and and having problems with 2D textures.

It's a pity that a great render like vRay continues with this basic level of issue!

But I think there is any way to troubleshoot this, if not, only wait for 3.0 version!

Hamburger
08-26-2011, 12:12 AM
It's not Chaos Group's fault. They aren't told how these shaders work or have any access from Autodesk to them like mental images do, as I take it anyway - like djx mentions, that they have to guess how it works, like fur, paintfx, ocean shader etc... I think they do a very good job in that regard.

thev
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Currently we only support the Noise and Volume noise exactly as they are in Maya; the guys at Autodesk were kind enough to provide an explanation of how they work. However we still don't have information about the other procedural textures.

Best regards,
Vlado

Bitter
08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
They aren't told how these shaders work or have any access from Autodesk to them like mental images do, as I take it anyway

Oddly enough, Autodesk does the integration of mental ray, not Nvidia (mental images) which is why they have access. . .it's their own self doing the work.

However, a lot of these things are legacy from the Maya Software days that really really would be nice if they would open them up to everyone. Then more things could be made from the results or extend it.

Might alleviate some frustration for everyone.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.