PDA

View Full Version : Crysis 2 Mod tools and dedicated server files out. Cryengine SDK out very soon.

SheepFactory
06-29-2011, 05:00 PM
http://www.mycrysis.com/support/

"
We’re pleased to announce that today we are releasing the Crysis 2 Mod SDK package which includes the all-new Sandbox 3 Editor, allowing you to create custom maps, mods and content for Crysis 2!

The package also includes various tools, such as FMOD Designer, Poly Bump, plugins for Maya and 3ds Max and more! We’ve also included some sample assets to help you discover the possibilities with the Crysis 2 Mod SDK package.

Running alongside the release of the Crysis 2 Mod SDK package, we’re also pleased to release the all-new Crymod (http://www.crymod.com/) website, a place for modders of all skill levels to join in, share and be part of our community."

-------

This should give those of us interested in cryengine sdk a headstart. Hope to see some kick ass Crysis 2 maps from fellow cgtalkers :)

ambient-whisper
06-30-2011, 03:24 AM
In another thread someone posted a link to the the docs page for sandbox.

its good stuff.

http://sdk.crymod.com/dashboard.action

There is also a cryengine 3 cookbook being released.

http://www.amazon.com/CryEngine-3-Cookbook/dp/1849691061

ndeboar
06-30-2011, 07:27 AM
possibly dumb question: Can I render from Maya straight to the engine using this? Be interesting to have a play.

doCHtor
06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
You mean something like streaming data directly from Maya to CE and rendering it in real time? If you mean that, I think that's not possible.

Kanga
06-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Looks like an amazing engine.

The proof for me will be how easy it is to get a custom character into the editor. Looking at some of the documentation here my heart sinks when I see I may have to learn a Lua scripting language. I hope the documentation for this engine will not be as fragmented as others I am attempting atm.

Its been a long week.

TheWraith
06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
possibly dumb question: Can I render from Maya straight to the engine using this? Be interesting to have a play.

You will need to setup your shaders and textures in the Sandbox. Getting your static models into the engine is pretty quick and easy, from there its just a matter of creating/tweaking materials, textures and lights. It gets slightly more complicated if you need to animate anything, such as the model or a camera.

For non static meshes, as an artist, you just need to know how to do some basic .xml things. For the most part, you can get away with simply modifying existing .xml and .lua scripts.

Kanga
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
For non static meshes, as an artist, you just need to know how to do some basic .xml things. For the most part, you can get away with simply modifying existing .xml and .lua scripts.
That sounds like good news!

DanielleEber
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM

The "CryEngine" includes it's own rendering software, with shaders, environment settings,etc. From Maya you would export your model using the provided Maya plugin (2009-2012 is supported). The exported files are placed in the Crysis 2 game directory.

The "Sandbox 3" editor functions similar to most 3D programs, in that you can place objects in the scene, and adjust material settings. It renders in real time using the CryEngine into the perspective view window while you are working on things. If you are doing high quality rendering or complex scenes you can program the camera motions, etc and send frames to a file instead of to your screen, and then play it back at full speed later. The settings to use for the rendering can be stored in simple text "config" file, which can be entirely different than what you use in the editor. That lets you edit at a useful speed and render at a much higher quality and much slower speed.

That kind of offline rendering is useful for cinematic or architectural type work. For playable game development, you would keep the settings the same as what the end-user would see.

fablefox
06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
for those who already download the sdk, does they include what was show as "Cryengine for cinema"?.

I'm into machinima thingy. And what is the largest render resolution for offline? 4K? 2K? Or just HD? Thanks!

DanielleEber
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
for those who already download the sdk, does they include what was show as "Cryengine for cinema"?.

I'm into machinima thingy. And what is the largest render resolution for offline? 4K? 2K? Or just HD? Thanks!

"Cryengine for Cinema" is a differently licensed version with extra tools for movie making, but the basic engine has tools to capture video. Take a look at this page about setting up offline renders: Capture Track (http://sdk.crymod.com/display/SDKDOC21/Using+Capture+Track+to+render+an+Image+Sequence)

The resolution is set using console commands, which can be optionally pre-set in a config file. I have had it as high as 3840 wide to spread it over two monitors. I don't know what the upper limit is.

fablefox
07-01-2011, 03:25 AM
thank you for the info.

i already contact them twice regarding this, and twice they ask me to send the NDA. I guess one man is not important enough for them to deal regarding the cryengine for cinema thingy.

but i'll get my feet wet through this i guess. i hope some blenderhead would make an exporter for blender though.

DanielleEber
07-01-2011, 05:16 AM
i hope some blenderhead would make an exporter for blender though.

The "Resource Compiler" is the program in the SDK which converts files to the native CryEngine formats. The various plugins they supply basically call that program to do the conversion. It supports the Collada .dae format (see the SDK documentation (http://sdk.crymod.com/display/SDKDOC3/Using+the+Resource+Compiler)), and some of us used Blender with the CryEngine 2 in the Blue Mars virtual world when making assets. So it may work already if you run the rc.exe from a command line.

doCHtor
07-01-2011, 05:48 AM
i already contact them twice regarding this, and twice they ask me to send the NDA. I guess one man is not important enough for them to deal regarding the cryengine for cinema thingy..
Afaik they don't license the full engine to individuals, only to companies. But in august we should be getting UDK like cryengine3 sdk (including possibility to do commercial work).

HughBowen
07-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Afaik they don't license the full engine to individuals, only to companies. But in august we should be getting UDK like cryengine3 sdk (including possibility to do commercial work).
its for commercial titles. Also may be including core access of the Crysis 2 build version,as I hope it does. IF they did I doubt we get the amount of update we do for UDK.

ashrafazlan
07-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Playing around with it right now and I have to say it's such a joy to use compared to other engine editors. Not having to worry about rebaking everytime I change something is awesome. That, and sandbox is very easy to learn. Good job Crytek :)

doCHtor
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
If you have DX11 capable gpu, be sure to switch editor to "ultra mode" and "dx11 mode" in the Config Spec menu.

Not sure if it's only my setup, but I had to manually modify editor.cfg in Crysis 2 root folder to get DX11 features (like local reflections or tesselation) in editor.
This is what I had to put/change there:

sys_spec_shading=4
sys_spec_gameeffects=4
sys_spec_objectdetail=4
sys_spec_particles=4
sys_spec_physics=4
sys_spec_postprocessing=4
sys_spec_shadows=4
sys_spec_sound=4
sys_spec_texture=4
sys_spec_water=4

; changes icon sizes
ed_toolbarIconSize=20

aydinu
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Too bad that they removed the vehicle editor in this version.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.