PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Rigging Reel?

LucentDreams
06-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Thanks fot the new thread, this is something I am starting to focus on and try to specialize a bit more in, Soon I will be doing a portfoilio focusing on character rigging, anyone have any advice on what to have for that kind of demoreel and portfolio for rigging, I know Life Drawinf and anatomy studies are important, and I have many ans still drawing more every week, but What kind of clips should i have, I want to make sure they can see that the rig allows for great animation abilities, but not show them a bunch of great animations so they think I am applyingfor animation (unless they wanna hire me for animation, then I'll go gladly.)

As well, for anyone else withRigging demo reels, Are all modles yours or is it good to get permission to also use some other modelers models to show how you are capable of rigging other peoples work as well?

LFShade
06-06-2002, 03:42 PM
I've been wondering the same thing lately, since rigging seems to be my strongest area. I was thinking of maybe doing some vidcaps of Max and Maya, just manipulating the characters in various ways to demonstrate the customization and workflow/functionality of my rigs. I would imagine it's acceptable to use someone else's models, just as long as you get permission and give proper credit. Personally, I would tend to use my own models -- you never know, a company may decide to offer you a modeling job instead. I'd rather have my reel show off the full range of my abilities, but just focus on the rigging a bit more than other areas.

LucentDreams
06-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Yeah I agree, its just that I also would like to show quite a few rigs rather than just one, and I don't have time to make a whole bunch of models myself. Plus I would like to get a few various styles in their too, to show that I am able to make rigs for various needs and such. You know, realistic, anime, cartoon, robots, small character, tall skinny uys, and one big hulkin character.

fxgogo
06-06-2002, 04:45 PM
I would think showing the 'process and result' procedure would work quite well. You could show clips of specific areas like the shoulder. First off displaying just the bones and then a final render, all the time there is a simple move applied to the character.

I would also still think of cinematography and lighting to show what you want in a good light. Maybe drop some still drawings and notes which you pan across quickly. Almost showing your thought process to rigging.

As always, have a good edit that shows off pace and excitement.

toonman
06-08-2002, 06:15 PM
If you're applying for a techincal position (such as character rigging), artistry is not as important... you can get away with screen caps of your rigging process. I wouldn't mind someone using someone else's model, as long as you get permission. Some other important areas you should cover in your reel (for a character TD position) would be skinning, procedural animation, and programming (expressions/MAXScript/MEL/whatever). If you show at the end a short animation of your character moving, you get a big plus... you can get an experienced character animator to do that (if you feel you're a bit weak in that area), and also get some feedback from him on your rig. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

LucentDreams
06-08-2002, 06:31 PM
Cool thanks a lot for that toonman, this is exactly the kinds of thing I have been considering but just wasn't sure.

wowdermonkey
07-06-2002, 08:23 AM
A good idea is to separate your reel into motion systems and deformations systems. Your motion systems demos sould consist of interesting bone setups, expressions, and procedural systems that you might have developed for your character. The deformation systems should show a breakdown of any kind of deform you might be doing (ie, how are you using blendshapes or influence objects). It is important to show a strong understanding of anatomy and motion. Also, test animations are good becasue they show what a model is capable of and more importantly, where it might break. Music is optional. Remember, if you are applying specifically for a rigging position, you will be dealing with technical individuals so treat your reel as such.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.