PDA

View Full Version : one shader to control them all!

neuk
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
i have a scene with a variate of different shaders each with its own shading group because of displacement maps. now say i want to make everything glass but still preserve the shading groups because of the displacement maps. so i create a new shader for each object with the disp map applied. is there a way to control all of these shaders through a set of controls or something instead of having to input it into every single shader every time i make an adjustment?

Bitter
06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
What version of Maya? 2012 has the user data shaders User Data (http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/2012/ENU/mental%20ray%203.9%20Help/files/shaders/userdata/userdata.html)

Kakkoii
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
If you don't have 2012 like Bitter suggested, just select your objects and their materials, expand their connections in your work area, and connect the single material you want to use to each of the shading groups. Just middle click drag from the material to the SG's, and choose Default, this will set up the proper connections for you instantly, so it won't take long to do.

Now you'll have a single material controlling them all, but each will still have a different shading group that can have a different displacement map.

nookie
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
you can try with the "single switch" utility too

neuk
06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
thanks everyone for your quick replies. all methods are equaly great, i managed to get it fixed with the atribute spread sheet :curious: which i presume is not the best of methods, so ill give one of these methods a shot. thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.