PDA

View Full Version : Having problems rigging this Spartan model

Ibeechu
06-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey guys :) First off, I'm an animator, not a rigger at all. But Bungie Day (July 7th, a holiday within the Halo/Bungie community) is coming up and I'd really love to do a little shot, maybe animating a Spartan to a piece of Bungie-related dialogue. Trouble is, as far as I can tell, there are no rigs available at all of a Spartan from anything later than Halo 1. I've found a model of a Halo 3 (Beta?) Spartan (which, as far as I can tell, was ripped right from the game data), but it's not rigged. I've been spending the last few days trying to figure out how to rig it by following Digital Tutor videos, but I've hit a snag.

I've done some very, very light rigging before, but I never paid attention to the details of it, really. But in all the tutorials I've found, they all show how to set up a joint system with the character in either a standard T- or A-pose. But this model I have isn't in either. The feet are pointing a little to either side, and the arms are out in front and more relaxed. This has made figuring out where exactly to place the joints and how exactly to orient them very frustrating.

Now, ideally, I'd love one of you supergeniuses to just set up the joints for me (I can put in all the controls and stuff no problem. It's just these joints in the first place that are killing me), but I understand that that's probably an unrealistic wish. But, seriously, if you guys have any sort of tips at all for what I should be doing, you have no idea how much I'd appreciate it :)

Here's a screencap of what the model looks like:

http://i53.tinypic.com/bhg7q9.jpg

By the way, I got this model for free by searching around the Internet. But, if this sort of thing is off-limits because it was taken from a game, please let me know.

Thanks, guys!

~EJ

bentllama
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
gee, if only I could give you my rig for that old masterchief...

Ibeechu
06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
gee, if only I could give you my rig for that old masterchief...

Well, I just got an email informing me I'm the winner of the Zimbabwe lottery, so maybe we could work something out...

duld
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
you could parent geometry to the joints as you are orienting them to help you visualize whats going on; something like a cube scaled out in y a little bit or something. The "long" bit of the cube could represent the "up" axis of your joint, which is most likely the y axis of your joint chain. I like locators myself but sometimes actual geometry helps and there is no reason why you couldn't use both.

to actually get your orientation you could go into the joints component mode and tweak its local rotation axis that way or you could unparent any child of that joint and go into the joint's attribute editor and while holding ctrl middle mouse button drag in that joint's "joint orient" channel box. If you get a result you don't like deselect the joint and just ctrl z back. Conversely you can just rotate that joint if its easier and then add the rotation values to the joint orient channel. Chances are you will only need to tweak the X channel of either channel. And if you end up somehow with values in both the rotate and joint orient channel just add those two values together in the joint orient channel and zero out the joint's rotation and that should fix it.

After that its just a matter of tweaking and testing, you could even try a couple smooth bind tests to see how the geometry will move. These smooth binds are only intended to test simple relationships which depend on the orientation of your joint; where does the hand move when you're rotating/bending the elbow joint, same with the foot when you rotate/bend from the knee and every finger when you rotate each joint of that finger (minus the tip) equally.

just a bunch of trial and error until you can lockdown something you like.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.