PDA

View Full Version : Vray: Light select (render element) and SSS shader

JWRodegher
06-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Has any of you tried to use the light select render element with sss shader? I tried and for the life of me I just can't make it work. It works great with everything else, and even the diffuse and specular elements of the sss shader render properly, but the subsurface won't render in those passes.

Is it a know limitation or there's some workaround for this?

Thanks for reading.

cgbeige
06-28-2011, 02:52 AM
I know that the lightselect RE doesn't do GI so probably that's why it doesn't do SSS, since it involves bounces

JWRodegher
06-28-2011, 03:47 AM
I see.

So beside that, what you are saying is that there's no way to get SSS in Vray without using some sort of photon raytracing/bounces? I'm wondering cause I'm pretty new to vray, so there's stuff I really don't know how works "under the hood".

Thanks for replying by the way.

cgbeige
06-28-2011, 04:07 AM
well, unless there's a faking going on, the SSS phenomenon is all about bounces inside of an object so it makes sense that the light select RE doesn't work with it since light select doesn't work with secondary bounces (GI). That was the reason I made a Per Light Render script for V-Ray:

http://vimeo.com/21765676

You can just use an SSS RE if you want that.

JWRodegher
06-28-2011, 04:47 AM
It makes perfect sense, plus that explains some flickering I'm getting from the sss.
Too bad there's no faking for the sss, since I don't really need physical accuracy (even if it is pretty cool though). I guess my mind can't help to work the mr way yet.

I'll take a look at the video.

I'm aware of the SSS RE, but I was trying to have control of all the lights in the scene. Thanks for everything man. I Appreciate it!

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2011, 04:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.