PDA

View Full Version : Maya/MR proxy error

remco_t
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm currently working on a scene with quite a large number of trees and high res polys init so I wanted to use the MR proxy assemblies for the trees. This didn't turn out to be efficient enough (quickly ran out of my 12GB RAM) so i disconnected all the trees' connections under the shape nodes and replaced them with connecting the mip_binaryproxy under the transform node. Success! It worked and now my scene manages to render locally with just 65% memory load!

Only thing now is that the old connection (the .mi file under the shape node) is somehow stll acting up. When disconnecting those nodes I just selected the string (path) to the .mi file and deleted it but now when exporting it to a renderfarm it still sees a connection and tries to find the proxy file ""... an empty string. Since obviously that file doesn't exist it return an error.

Any way of really clearing that proxy file attribute without replacing it with an empty string? I'd really hate having to replace all my 200 odd trees with manual random transforms...

InfernalDarkness
06-27-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm currently working on a scene with quite a large number of trees and high res polys init so I wanted to use the MR proxy assemblies for the trees. This didn't turn out to be efficient enough (quickly ran out of my 12GB RAM) so i disconnected all the trees' connections under the shape nodes and replaced them with connecting the mip_binaryproxy under the transform node. Success! It worked and now my scene manages to render locally with just 65% memory load!

If you're running out of RAM, you're not doing it right really. Instancing and Proxies are here for us to only have to load a specified geometry once into RAM to test against. That is to say, your scene should take up no more RAM with one instance in it than with 1,000.

remco_t
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Heh, that much was obvious yes, that I was doing something wrong :blush:

Then again, using the MR proxies it works now, it just seems to remember there has been a value in the Render Proxy path and that's now set to an empty string, instead of having no value at all...

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.