PDA

View Full Version : Making Lego explode and rebuild as something else?

Sonicpie
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and only just getting into particle systems, so I'm not sure if this is being posted in the right place or not.

I'm trying to create a Lego model that breaks into the individual bricks and then forms something else using those same bricks. I've modelled each of the bricks using 3dsMax and was hoping you guys would have any tips on how the create such an effect using a particle system, to avoid hand animating each brick.

Thanks in advance ^_^

hirendodiya
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
you need to use Particle flow to do that thing.

first you will have 2 objects,1.which s explode., 2.particles which reform on this shape.

you need to create several events in Particle flow to finish full animation,

so start to explode first object,

update scene as you work.

-------------------------
Hiren Dodiya
http://blog.hirendodiya.com/

JohnnyRandom
06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Basically what was mentioned, yes.

To add to it:

If you intend to have any type of interparticle collision detection and physics you will need to use Particle Flow Tools Box#2.

The basis of what you are looking to do is a technique called Object A to B, you can search for similar terms and find a bunch of threads/posts. The base of your pflow system consists of a script operator that reads the current position of each particle and writes it to the Script Vector channel. A Find Target Test is then used in a later event to read those stored particle positions and return particles to their original position.

I wrote a tutorial here:
http://www.orbaz.com/visualguide/particleflowtools/box2/PhysXSwitch.html

Note: that this stores the particle rotations as well.

gjeoffreys
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm looking to do pretty much the exact same thing.

So a few questions for JohnnyRandom then, I looked at the physixSwitch tut. All makes sense, but I need the blocks to maintain their physics collisions while rebuilding the new shape. Whenever I try to do this they knock the other blocks out of place. Is there a way to lock/bond the particle positions on the final build so they try to maintain their positions? And I assume I need to just create a birth group and script for each "object" in my sequence, how do i tell the build which script it which, I'm not very familiar to scripting, how do I create different sets of the stored pCont data?

Thanks very much
Gavin

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.