PDA

View Full Version : mib_volume in reflections

lauras
06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Hello,

Is there a way to setup a mental ray render with mib_volume visible in reflections?

I am using Maya 2009 x64. I have a mib_volume node attached to my camera as a volume shader. This setup works great for creating simple haze effects but it's effect on geo is not visible in reflections. Please see test image attached, top image is without volume and the bottom with volume added. In the second image the blue sphere is covered in the volume but is still visible in the reflective floor plane.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is any additional information I could provide that would be helpful.

Thanks,

L

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/laura0666/VolumeTest.jpg

InfernalDarkness
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I believe the mib_volume is a post-rendering effect. Which means you're out of luck on reflections/refractions, etc.

Are you familiar with the parti_volume shader? It's a pain in the neck, but can produce the effects you're looking for. But also a z-depth render would do the trick; then you'd just add all this glow in postwork.

lauras
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
I believe the mib_volume is a post-rendering effect. Which means you're out of luck on reflections/refractions, etc.

Are you familiar with the parti_volume shader? It's a pain in the neck, but can produce the effects you're looking for. But also a z-depth render would do the trick; then you'd just add all this glow in postwork.

Thanks so much for the reply!

Yes I am familiar with the parti-volume shader. I'm looking for something that renders faster. A z-depth render works to add the initial haze to the blue sphere in comp but not to create the proper reflections, for that I need to also create a reflection matte, then do a haze color correct on the reflection using the matte as a mask.

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.