PDA

View Full Version : The Tree of Life :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
06-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Hey there,

VFX Supervisor Dan Glass walks CGSociety through the production of The Tree of Life from branch to branch, trunk to leaf. Check out the video at the top of the story. Such an engrossing film, with nods to Koyaanisqatsi and 2001: A Space Odyssey, I want to see it again, and again.

Click the image. Come back to comment.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/tol_featureplug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=6324)

TyroneMaddams
06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
So much emotion and warmth in that video...

Just beautiful

- Ty

Mr.Tyler Durden
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for making this topstory. Really hope that brings this artwork to broader recognition.

It simply has to be seen and appreciated.

Tyler

DutchDimension
06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for this article.

As a fan of Terrence Malick's work, I'm very excited about the prospects of this film.
I'm glad to see production utilized the expertise of Doug Trumbull and that practical techniques were utilized for some of the effects work as opposed to going all digital.

TheThidMan
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Kind of reminds me of the use of live action footage of chemicals and chemical reactions for use in backgrounds in space in Aronofsky's The Fountain:

http://www.awn.com/articles/production/ithe-fountaini-vfx-petri-dish

http://www.spiritualteachers.org/images/fountain.jpg

If you guys are fans of Mallick, you should definitely check out the new BD release of Thin Red Line. Easily the best BD transfer i've seen. The sound quality is just on another level.

DimeS
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Terrence Malick composes shots more beautifully than any director I can think of. He's a true master of angles, colors and lights.
Even if you don't like the stories in his films, they're undeniably great to look at.

Very excited for this film, and the snippets of effects shots I've seen look great. I'm jealous of the people who got to work on this.:)

everlite
06-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Oh wow! ... i can't believe i didn't know this existed. Terrence Malick's work is without question, some of the most beautiful work i've seen. The New World is by far one of, if not my favorite film.

IMDB trailer http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi612735001/

The space shots are very beautiful, as mentioned above, very similar to The Fountain, another beautiful film.

If you haven't seen The New World, i can highly recommend watching it before watching this, judging from the trailer, they feel very similar. And watch the uncut version, so much more beautiful :)

Qual
06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I saw this movie in the cinema with my gf.
Firs time in my live I never seen so many people leaving the cinema or fall in sleep because of such a boring film.

Good to promote this film because of the art you see for about 20minutes in the 2h20min film.
But as a film lover, I want to warn people do not watch this film because of this art.
Wast of money and time.

Quote (link-review (http://www.flixist.com/review-the-tree-of-life-now-with-more-second-opinions--199105.phtml)):
Tree of Life is a movie so assured of its own subject matter and presentation that it forgot to actually make something watchable.

DutchDimension
06-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that this movie is not suitable to those with short attention spans, inability to reason beyond a Uwe Bol/Peter Jackson/Michael Bay type plot or those addicted to the likes of X-Factor/Jersey Shore/The Simple Life level of entertainment. That rules out the majority of movie going public.

ThirdEye
06-26-2011, 11:55 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that this movie is not suitable to those with short attention spans, inability to reason beyond a Uwe Bol/Peter Jackson/Michael Bay type plot or those addicted to the likes of X-Factor/Jersey Shore/The Simple Life level of entertainment. That rules out the majority of movie going public.

Agreed. I liked it a lot, it's not boring at all if you can pay some attention.

Qual
06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Agreed. I liked it a lot, it's not boring at all if you can pay some attention.

I did pay attention, hope at the end of the film it might change my mind so I did keep my attention but it didn't. I watch all sort of genre of movies from all over the world. This movie was my top 5 worst movies in my live and many people around the world agree with me.

So its not about if you pay attention or not.

DutchDimension
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM
...and many people around the world agree with me.

That's just my point. The vast majority of the movie going public are popcorn heads that can't reason a film's intent beyond the size and quantity of the explosions and the on-screen romance of the Hollywood's pretty people calling themselves actors. Please don't think I'm questioning your intelligence, but to argue your point by saying most people around the world agree with you is doing your credibility more harm than good.

everlite
06-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Rolling Stone -

"Like its predecessors (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World), Tree delivers truths that don't go down easy. No one with a genuine interest in the potential of film would think of missing it."

New York Times -

"With disarming sincerity and daunting formal sophistication The Tree of Life ponders some of the hardest and most persistent questions, the kind that leave adults speechless when children ask them."

rottentomatoes - (86%)

Wall Street Journal -

Daring in concept, occasionally daffy in execution and ultimately unforgettable, Mr. Malick's film offers a heartfelt answer to the question of where we humans belong - with each other, on this planet, bound by love.

Quoted from the following;

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_tree_of_life_2011/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/criticreviews

Qual
06-26-2011, 01:55 PM
That's just my point. The vast majority of the movie going public are popcorn heads that can't reason a film's intent beyond the size and quantity of the explosions and the on-screen romance of the Hollywood's pretty people calling themselves actors. Please don't think I'm questioning your intelligence, but to argue your point by saying most people around the world agree with you is doing your credibility more harm than good.

Yes by saying most people around the world, I take that fact by reading many reviews after I watch the internet. I have seen many many movies in my live, not only US fighting films as you might think, but also many culture/life/romance movies from France/Asia with same kind of genre of this film but then many times better.

everlite
06-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes by saying most people around the world, I take that fact by reading many reviews after I watch the internet. I have seen many many movies in my live, not only US fighting films as you might think, but also many culture/life/romance movies from France/Asia with same kind of genre of this film but then many times better.

Can you give a more articulate critique of what you didn't enjoy about the film?

DutchDimension
06-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes by saying most people around the world, I take that fact by reading many reviews after I watch the internet.

Show me any viewpoint/opinion and I'll show you a compendium of links, articles and reviews. Such is the nature of media on the internet these days. Everybody has an opinion and feels theirs is predominant. One sees what one wants to see.
For a film as idiosyncratic as this, it's probably best not to let one's opinion be swayed (especially not beforehand) by the mélange of 'many reviews'. :)

How do you measure something so intangible as being 'fact' by the way?

Fede
06-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Just wondering, that image of the orange/blue nebula is exactly from the CMI VFX training Photoshop For 3D Compositing http://www.******.com/images/tutorial_thumbs/61-PSD_3DC.jpg

What's up with that?

everlite
06-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Just wondering, that image of the orange/blue nebula is exactly from the CMI VFX training Photoshop For 3D Compositing http://www.******.com/images/tutorial_thumbs/61-PSD_3DC.jpg

What's up with that?

That is interesting.

leif3d
06-27-2011, 06:00 AM

What's up with that?
That's just the helix nebula. It's pretty famous.
You can get the image from NASA's site. (apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090303.html)
In the article they mention that they used lots of NASA images.

I liked the film a lot. I thought it had masterful and almost revelatory moments, but I thought it was at it's best when it stayed away from religious messages. It was too obvious an off-putting at times, especially because the very little narration the movie had was truly perfect, it didn't need the religious underpinning.
I loved how the film juxtaposed biology, the universe and family into a balance. It was really magical at times, but then it really threw me off with some dinosaurs and heaven references.

Overall, the film took really big chances and I really appreciate that. I really enjoyed it.

Fede
06-27-2011, 06:15 AM
That's just the helix nebula. It's pretty famous.
You can get the image from NASA's site. (apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090303.html)
In the article they mention that they used lots of NASA images.
Ha, fancy that!

Nefertiti
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
The movie was truly a unique experience. As much as I loved it, this movie is totally NOT for the average moviegoer. Those expecting a story, a standard movie structure or any kind of pace will be sorely disappointed. I think it would be best for anyone not sure about going to see it to check out previous Malick movies first. I think many were drawn by the hype and the fact it won the "Palme d'or" at Cannes. Some people walked out of the movie when I went, and I heard snoring...

That being said, I loved the visuals, and I'm glad for this article. I didn't know how much was digital and how much was actual footage. The movie does run a bit long, and after seeing it, as much as I loved it, I wasn't sure about seeing it again, because it takes you in so much. But now that some days have passed, I keep thinking that I do want to go see it again...

Go see this one in a digital theater, it made a HUGE difference as opposed to a regular film, it really pushes the movie one step further into greatness.

ivanisavich
06-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Just got back....what an intensely boring movie.

Breathtaking cinematography that took us all over the Universe...but forgot to tell us an interesting story. It just kept going on and on while getting more and more pretentious.

To each his own, though. I realize many people enjoyed it.

leif3d
06-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Just got back....what an intensely boring movie.

Breathtaking cinematography that took us all over the Universe...but forgot to tell us an interesting story. It just kept going on and on while getting more and more pretentious.

To each his own, though. I realize many people enjoyed it.

It's tough to remember that once upon a time, before hollywood was king, movies with no story were common, situational themes and movies solely about an idea were not that uncommon.
They do exist today as well, but not advertised through pop culture, so it's hard to see them at the theaters. Koyaanisqatsi is one example that got pretty famous.
Now a days Indie films are everywhere (...and by indie I mean the more"artsy" versions, not really indie as in independent, which there's a lot of crap out there that mimics hollywood without the big budgets and usually fails miserably IMO), and this is kind of what the "Tree of Life" is, a really high budget indie film (oxymoron much?). Which I happen to find a very good film, but I agree, it's not for everyone.

It had its ups and downs, but mostly ups IMHO.

digikris
07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I buy the comments of Christopher Nolan and David Fincher. That is good enough for me. I am going today to see this movie. Check out the featurette on trailers.apple.com

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.