PDA

View Full Version : Hi resolution polypainting on low poly objects?

japetus
06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Just a quick question. I'm guessing it's not possible, but I was hoping there was away to apply hi res poly painting to lower res geometry. For example similar to how it would look if you just applied a high resolution texture to a low poly object, is there anyway to get the higher resolution polypaint out of spotlight (or other tool) without cranking up the subdivisions on my object? Naturally when I paint on my low poly object with spotlight it applies it all blurry and nasty but would be nice to have it be like the source images instead. My reasoning is that I have a mechanical object with a lot of greebles and pipes. It's not the most suitable thing to be subdividing but I would love to paint a texture on the geometry. I feel like I might just be having a brainfart about it because I use zbrush so infrequently. Thanks in advance.

japetus
06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Actually I think subdividing with smoothing turned off is giving an ok result. Would like to know if there is a better way however.

ezekiel66
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Polypainting is nothing more than the coloring of individual polygons, painting a high resolution texture on low resolution geometry is impossible unfortunately.

japetus
06-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah makes sense. That's what I figured. So is there a way to paint ON the texture map itself in zbrush while seeing your mesh instead of by pure number of polygons?

japetus
06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Well I was able to come up with a compromise. I can paint a really rough placement for things with polypaint and then crop and fill the texture to zbrush and continue painting and then grab it for a texture at that point.

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.