PDA

View Full Version : slowing down physics ?

steadiworkz
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Am just learning houdini coming from C4D (yikes lol)
Is their a way to slow down physics to create a slow motion type effect like with my C4D project - http://vimeo.com/22368869
Seems quite around the houdini forums which seems a shame.

mr Bob
06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Seems quite around the houdini forums which seems a shame.

Thats because most Houdini people post over at the sidefx forum or odforce.

As to your question > seems to me from the video you want to be rendering everything real world and then slowing the footage and effects in comp.

b

dangerweenie
06-22-2011, 12:43 AM
change your "time scale" to be less than one in the DOP/AutoDOP network node's parameters.

www.odforce.net is great.

Houdini's help file is not bad, either.

steadiworkz
06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
change your "time scale" to be less than one in the DOP/AutoDOP network node's parameters.

www.odforce.net is great.

Houdini's help file is not bad, either.

Ah nice one, I see the 'scale time' is the one to change ! Is this keyframable though as I want to time ramp from normal to slowmotion if possible ?

When you say houdinis help file is this something in the GUI or should it be in the application folder as I can't seem to find it ?

Many thanks !

steadiworkz
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Thats because most Houdini people post over at the sidefx forum or odforce.

As to your question > seems to me from the video you want to be rendering everything real world and then slowing the footage and effects in comp.

b

Do you mean setting the FPS to say 1000 and then ramping in post ?

I did originally post this over at sidefx but only recently got a reply and its pretty technical for a new user like myself.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=22453

when importing your objects (by fetching them from DOPs) apply a timeshift SOP afterwards. You can change playback speed by altering the Frame parm, for example: $FF/4. Turn Integer Frames off.

Now your sim should play back @ a quarter of the original speed.

Lots to learn it seems....

mr Bob
06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi ,
Its pretty simple > do your sim in DOPs > Then apply a timeshift SOP to the geometry thats coming back into SOPs.

Lots to learn it seems....

Of course there's lots to learn its Houdini not Notepad ! . You should be a dropping a timeshift sop down and looking at the help / examples. Next it might help if you actually run a simple sim first to get the basics down.

b

steadiworkz
06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi ,
Its pretty simple > do your sim in DOPs > Then apply a timeshift SOP to the geometry thats coming back into SOPs.

Of course there's lots to learn its Houdini not Notepad ! . You should be a dropping a timeshift sop down and looking at the help / examples. Next it might help if you actually run a simple sim first to get the basics down.

b

Yup I appreciate its not notepad and yes I have been running simple sims. I've been following the introduction tutorials at the sidefx site anywhere else I can find.
I've no problems following the tutorials etc however the problems i'm getting are when I try and do anything creative on my own i'm constantly running into brick walls.
I'd love to do a course that would ease me into it all properly but as ever random tutorials will have to suffice.

rurik
06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Hey Matthew

I migrated from C4d myself...Houdini is not the same beast.
My advice is to hang on keep playing with it. What usually happens with experienced Houdini users is that they are constantly breaking a barrier in understanding of some crazy concept. Then they forgot what it was like to not understand it...So they can often give very cryptic or too short answers.

In this case the Timeshift SOP is used a retiming device. Just lay it down, and then hit the question mark in the parameter window to launch the help card for that node.

I don't think you will find exactly what you need tutorial wise. Your best bet is to check out Peter Quint on Vimeo, some ****** stuff, CG-MASTERS.net, and a few other sources, but essentially just power through.
C4d is great, but fails to expose the real deep concepts of 3d. Houdini does just that all the time. You need to understand the difference between a point and a primitive, between a vector and a float-3, etc... But this is all very useful stuff, they are the building blocks of your practice as an artist.

Good luck!

steadiworkz
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Rurik you are a true gent, thanks you so much for taking the time to respond. :bowdown:
I shall indeed be persevering with Houdini as i'm blown away with its depth !
Perhaps i'll even start doing my own tutorials as I go, I think their is a gap in the market perhaps for people like myself ?
Either way thanks again for being patient :)

mr Bob
06-22-2011, 11:31 PM
I've no problems following the tutorials etc however the problems i'm getting are when I try and do anything creative on my own i'm constantly running into brick walls.

The thing I like about Odforce and the sidefx forum over cgtalk is the lack of being able to upload example files.Maybe that's why its rather dead in this forum. So get over there and upload a file showing what you have done so far .........

b

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2011, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.