PDA

View Full Version : Gardenbot

Engelszorn
10-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Well, this is a finished piece and i am quite pleased with it, too. But i would like to hear some opinions nonetheless. I think, i still lack technique - at least i wasn't able to color it like a had in minde. Pencils, colored in Photoshop 6.0.

Pictures without words, but full of story are exactly what i'm looking for.

http://www.engelszorn.de/gb.jpg

d_hansbury
10-28-2003, 11:40 PM
very peaceful, kinda sad though. I can't say it evoked a lot of emotion, but I enjoyed looking at the piece itself.

oracle
10-29-2003, 02:11 AM
I don't know if I'm right, but I think you're trying to convey a feeling of pity for the robot. It's almost there, but I don't feel sorry enough for him; perhaps you can an an element of ridicule to the scene, but I can't think of what?

Maybe the the farmer and his wife (it looks like he's on a farm) sitting down to a relaxing cup of tea. Or maybe some kids throwing laughing and/or throwing rocks at it? Just throwing some ideas into the air.

Engelszorn
10-29-2003, 04:50 AM
Nope, pity is wrong. What i tried to achieve was peacefullness, a little sadness and dignity :) A lot of people liked the concept of it so i thought i'd give it a try here, to see if i was going in the right direction.

Drakaran
10-29-2003, 05:31 AM
it comes off as sad, etc, cause of all of the brown tones. it's an interesting message I'm getting from this, like technology is taking care of life kinda thing. The pic appears like it was drawn kinda small and a little too sketchy appearing. also, add some more background detail, the image is too flat at the moment. I like the concept.

Engelszorn
10-29-2003, 05:45 AM
Thanks. It is a pencilsketch drawn on DIN A4 copy-paper. I scanned it in at 300 DPI and it is rather big, but i am aware that it looks rather sketchy. I will not revise the image itself, but i do want to learn and understand how i could improve it since i plan to draw more paintings with this character.

Omnicrola
10-29-2003, 05:52 AM
The brown tones definatly give it a more sad mood. If you wanted to go more for a peaceful serenity, it might help to add some more color to the grass, plants, etc.
I like the outfit he's wearing though, it's exactly what you'd expect to see on a regular ol farmer in the 60+ age range.

Drakaran
10-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Engelszorn
...plan to draw more paintings with this character.

Alrighty... looking at it, I realized another problem is the bot isn't in perspective, it's basically half a bot, I would have rotated the shoulders a bit and showed bot's right arm somewhere. *smile*

Engelszorn
10-29-2003, 07:53 AM
The right arm is there, but i understand that i didn't get the perspective right ;) . Thanks for the input, i'll remember to draw better backgrounds and i'll draw a character-sheet of the robot before i start new paintings to nail the design. Glad to hear the color-scheme worked...

EricMLevy
11-09-2003, 10:04 PM
The emotion only comes through within the whole of the picture. The facial expression and body language needs to be pumped up more, so you can control how people perceive the robot.

Also, there should be a reason for the picture to be out of the normal 4x6 photograph dimensions. If you can't think of a reason for yourself, I don't think it should be out of that normal proportion. If you have a reason, fine, but you don't want to draw attention to an oddity like that, taking away from what people should be seeing: The actual picture.

-Eric

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.