PDA

View Full Version : CGTalk Meetup in Vancouver

JCork
06-21-2011, 04:49 AM
I've been a bit quiet on the forums lately, but have not forgotten. I am going to be a team leader at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver this year and have been going religiously for the past 4 years or so (including the conferences in Asia).

One of the highlights I can always think back on is the CGTalk meetups that usually happen every year. Just wondering if anyone had started talking about this or not...

I haven't heard much about any official parties yet, but can imagine that is a byproduct of the extra travel cost to Canada, eh? I dunno. Either way, I have asked around and it seems like there is much interest in using the CGTalk Meetup as an excuse to keep the party alive during the week! :beer:

UPDATE:

Here are the official details for the meetup. Hope to see everyone there!

Sunday, August 7
7pm--
Steamworks Brewing Company
Gas Town
375 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 5C6
Ph: 604.689.2739 Fax: 604.669.2329
http://www.steamworks.com/

JeremyK
06-21-2011, 02:32 PM
If The Josh Corken is going, so shall I.

:wip:

BobbyCanciello
06-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey Jeremy and Josh.
I just created an account here.

Kev3D
06-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Sounds good to me!

PaulHellard
06-24-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm certainly going to be there. I don't know Vancouver at all.

(I have been informed that it is one of my favorite cities, even though I haven't been there. So it can't be all bad.)

Yes, there will be an unofficial CGTalk Meet up somewhere and I hope someone can pick up the baton on where/when.

RobertoOrtiz
06-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Well I am there...
Looking forward to being there guys.

Mark-J
06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Somebody mention beer! Yep, all being well I'll be there too

malducin
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Well in the other thread a local suggested the Steamworks Brewing Company by the Gaslamp area. The other option would be top have it at a headquarters hotel restaurant, though of those 2 the only one that has any real option is the Showcase restaurant at the Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle Downtown.

The date would probably be more problematic (especially after the experience in New Orleans), though it seems there won't be that many parties this time around except the Reception on Monday and the Chapters Party later in the week. I would vote to have it Sunday night.

JCork
06-24-2011, 03:43 PM
If The Josh Corken is going, so shall I. :wip:

Awesome, Jeremy. Haha!

And I saw that post about the Brewing Company too. I agree that would probably be a good location. Sunday night would work! Like you said, the hardest thing is to make sure we don't get tied up scheduling this during a party, but so far it seems clear. Plus, that would be nice to meet everyone the first night of the conference to get aquainted before the week's shenanigans really start. Thanks for the suggestions, malducin! Let's do this thang!

Mark-J
06-24-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm always up for a Brewing Company, can't beat real ales and you know us Brits!

jeremybirn
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I'll be there! Looking at the schedule:

Sunday might be good, unless some people might not be in town yet?

On Monday, the reception is from 9-11 (if you're full conference), but dinner time Monday's a good option.

Tuesday could also be good. The conference is in full swing, and the expo opens that day, so I expect maximum attendance in the convention center area that day.

-jeremy

malducin
06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
The only thing is that on Sunday, I'll be fashionably late since I'll be at the Fast Forward Papers Preview. Though it doesn't matter since in LA the party was just starting at that time and we stayed until they threw us out.

JCork
06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
The only thing is that on Sunday, I'll be fashionably late since I'll be at the Fast Forward Papers Preview. Though it doesn't matter since in LA the party was just starting at that time and we stayed until they threw us out.
Maybe we could just schedule the meetup to start shortly after the Fast Forward event then? Most people are interested in seeing that usually. Nice call.

roderickweise
06-26-2011, 11:36 PM
The Steam works brewing would be best I am down to attend it would be fun.

JCork
06-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Somebody mention beer! Yep, all being well I'll be there too
Also, for the record Mark-J, you were the first one to bring up beer in this thread. Haha! Somebody has their mind in the right place, though.

polarBearMarch
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Neat! I can't wait

Heber
06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Sound good! I would be down for this as well :)

malducin
06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Maybe we could just schedule the meetup to start shortly after the Fast Forward event then? Most people are interested in seeing that usually. Nice call.

Probably not necessary, last time my friend and I went to the meetup (I think they scheduled it 6 or 7pm, maybe Roberto or Paul Hellard remembers) after the Papers Preview and there were plenty of people in there, in fact there were no available tables/chairs at the moment. Actually it seemed like were the only ones that had come from the event anyway. If you schedule it at 7pm by the time people arrive and start ordering it should be around 8 pm just when the papers Preview is finishing.

JCork
07-04-2011, 07:40 AM
True that. Either way, we can always continue to hang out or go to other bars later in the evening to continue the meetup festivities. That goes for the beginning too, for those who can get there early or aren't attending the FF event.

So what do we think... Sunday, August 7 at the Brewing Company from 7pm - whenever?

Mark-J
07-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Sounds good to me. Unusually for flights over from the UK this time at least mine touches down nice and early on the Sunday. Missed the last few meet ups.

PaulHellard
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
OK, thanks guys, I reckon we've got a time and place. Great stuff!

jeremybirn
07-04-2011, 05:06 PM
OK, "Sunday, August 7 at the Brewing Company from 7pm - whenever?" sounds great to me too! I'll be there. Spelling it out:

Sunday, August 7
7pm--
Steamworks Brewing Company
Gas Town
375 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 5C6
Ph: 604.689.2739 Fax: 604.669.2329
http://www.steamworks.com/

Who's in charge of reservations? Do we need a head-count, or should we just reserve with a guess like 24 people and then figure more could find another table? Do we know the hours they are open on Sunday?

@ Josh Corken - As a convenience, could you edit your 1st post with the info?

-jeremy

malducin
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Maybe a head count would be prudent, but then again it's sometimes pointless. Last year there was a head count of maybe 30 but probably 50 or 60 people showed up, so there was a bit of a scamble to find available tables.

reservation probably better done by a local, last time we did it over email (New orleans) wasn't the ideal situation (though there weren't any local volunteers to help with that). Actually their webpage lists a phone and email for reservations of over 25 people. Probably need to find out if there are any fees booking one of the event rooms, might be worthwhile to have everyone together if that's cheap.

Worst case scenario do it over email and pray to the beer gods for everything to go smoothly. It'll probably require some sort of form fill out and then anyone Sunday morning could go there to confirm.

roderickweise
07-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Maybe a head count would be prudent, but then again it's sometimes pointless. Last year there was a head count of maybe 30 but probably 50 or 60 people showed up, so there was a bit of a scamble to find available tables.

reservation probably better done by a local, last time we did it over email (New orleans) wasn't the ideal situation (though there weren't any local volunteers to help with that). Actually their webpage lists a phone and email for reservations of over 25 people. Probably need to find out if there are any fees booking one of the event rooms, might be worthwhile to have everyone together if that's cheap.

Worst case scenario do it over email and pray to the beer gods for everything to go smoothly. It'll probably require some sort of form fill out and then anyone Sunday morning could go there to confirm.

I am a local I can do it if we get a head count I can call and reserve spots for the amount of people that is going to show up.

Kev3D
07-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Sounds good to me!

I am a local I can do it if we get a head count I can call and reserve spots for the amount of people that is going to show up.

Best to double whatever figure you get for the head count.

jeremybirn
07-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Best to double whatever figure you get for the head count.
If you ask to reserve too many seats, they'll probably say "no," or else ask you to pay some fee to book a room for a private event. 20 or 25 is probably more reasonable. If more parties arrive later, they can get their own tables.

-jeremy

JCork
07-07-2011, 03:42 AM
That's great we have a local helping us out. Thanks, roderickweise! I'd say double the figure if you can as well, but we wouldn't want to push anything or screw someone over by getting a reservation fee slapped in their face. Maybe feel them out and see what they say when you throw a low number, then slowly bring up the possibility of...say...twice as many. Lol!

But really, I think either way, we will be fine. It seems like a place that could seat some extras.

jd1981jr
07-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Count me in!!!

Juan

SpaXe
07-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Checking in. Will be there for sure. Thanks Josh!

roderickweise
07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
I will call Monday and book it and let everyone know whats up.

JCork
07-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Right on! Thanks again, roderickweise!

tctdvm
07-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I'll try to make it.

I actually had lunch there a couple of summers ago, it wasn't good at all. Kinda felt like a failed attempt to jump on the microbrew bandwagon.
Great location with lots of outdoor seating, though.
If they don't want the business, I'm sure there's better breweries around.
Boundary Bay is world class, but it's a bit of a drive and involves crossing the border (Bellingham, WA) :)

Tim

Heber
07-13-2011, 02:21 AM
No one is going to drive to Bellingham from Vancouver just to get beer, there is PLENTY of good places to drink in Vancouver hehe also far more convenient as far as meeting places go.
Steamworks aint bad I am also not a fan of the food there either, could try "Rogue" right inside Waterfront station , was there last week they had plenty of drink options and the food was not bad either.

PaulHellard
07-13-2011, 02:48 AM
LOL! I hear they make beer in Canada too :beer:

Yeah I'm flying from Australia, direct Sydney - Vancouver, so I don't have to go thru customs/immigration in USA to then go to Canada. No way am I gonna go over the border for a pint. ;) :bounce: and :beer: again.

I'll try to make it.

I actually had lunch there a couple of summers ago, it wasn't good at all. Kinda felt like a failed attempt to jump on the microbrew bandwagon.
Great location with lots of outdoor seating, though.
If they don't want the business, I'm sure there's better breweries around.
Boundary Bay is world class, but it's a bit of a drive and involves crossing the border (Bellingham, WA) :)

Tim

tctdvm
07-13-2011, 03:23 AM
...just to get a beer, he says... :D

Although, I don't actually think I've ever had a Vancouver born beer.

I did a Victoria beer tour many years back, but that was pre-BeerSnobbery.

Yaletown seems like it caters to larger groups, but it was across town and didn't seem to have a legitimate physical location... just saying, if Steamworks doesn't want us.

T

JeremyK
07-14-2011, 02:13 AM
:buttrock:

/is this 10 characters yet

Kev3D
07-14-2011, 05:56 AM

Yeah I'm flying from Australia, direct Sydney - Vancouver, so I don't have to go thru customs/immigration in USA to then go to Canada. No way am I gonna go over the border for a pint. ;) :bounce: and :beer: again.

Ah Lucky! I've gotta go through LAX, so not looking forward to the whole security thing there. Going across the border again probably wouldn't be ideal for me either.

malducin
07-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Lucky man, couldn't find cheap direct flights, but at least I'm not making a stop in Phoenix!

So are we sticking with Steamworks? Did a little research and found several places some very close to the convention center. Like Mahony & Sons Public House (http://www.mahonyandsons.com/), Moose's Down Under (http://www.moosesdownunder.com/), St. Regis Bar and Grill (http://www.stregisbargrill.com/), Elephant & Castle (http://www.elephantcastle.com/marine_bldg/), Goldies Pizza (http://www.goldiespizza.com/), and Kingston Taphouse & Grille
(http://www.kingstontaphouse.com/)
Any locals want to comment?

polarBearMarch
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I have a layover in toronto. :/ But in comparison my flight aren't very bad compared to everyone elses since i am flying out of albany, ny.

I am going to have to google the meet up place. I suck at navigation and get lost easily.

dial-a-cliche
07-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Count me in!

Ceirn
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I'll be there!! :beer:

Dysgenic
07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Sounds very good, hope i can make it !!
I just started to use these forums .... but i guess that won't be a problem ;)

SheepFactory
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I will be there as well. I can be a Vancouver tour guide to you guys. :D

Druie
07-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I'll be there! I'll also be bringing a friend! +2 headcount :)

I'm looking forward to meetup with everyone!

MonkeyMHz
07-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Count me in as well. Should be fun, :beer:

sciics
07-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I'll gatecrash.. if i can get over the jet lag.

jlelievre
07-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Psyched! 2 weeks to go until the insanity begins! See you all there and bring your livers!

migusan76
07-24-2011, 02:10 AM
This sounds awesome, Count me! Look forward to meeting you guys out there.

Edgemaster
07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Sweet...I look forward to the CGtalk meet up!

jlelievre
07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
If Steamworks doesn't work there is the Lions Tavern which is almost across the street from the venue. Great place with a good sized patio and lots of brews on tap.

malducin
07-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Probably too late to change the venue, people are already posting the location all over the place, maybe Roberto or Paul would like to chime in? Plus it seems not many people are checking the threads this year.

If not it'll be like New Orleans where people were confirming and anoucing the Oyster Factory before even trying to contact the place or find out if we could fit as a group.

Anyway as long as the food is acceptable, I don't care.

PaulHellard
07-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Hey!

I'll Skype the call from here if you like, just to find out if this number would be able to be held in there. Being Sunday night right before a big conference, (something I'm sure they'd be ready for), I reckon there'd be no problem.

And I agree. Anyway as long as the food is acceptable, I don't care either.

roderickweise
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Sorry to post so late but Steam Works Brew would only take reservations for 8 people.

Kev3D
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Sorry to post so late but Steam Works Brew would only take reservations for 8 people.
This could be problematic. Worth hitting up Lions Tavern maybe? If people start rocking up at Steam Works they could be directed across the road.

jeremybirn
08-01-2011, 05:07 AM
If we changed places now, there'd be people showing up at the wrong spot. Could we maybe have 2 or 3 more people each make reservations for 8?

-jeremy

PaulHellard
08-01-2011, 05:28 AM
If they say no, do this! --> :bounce: :bounce: :cry: :bounce: :bounce: :cry: :bounce: :banghead:

jlelievre
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Steamworks has a pretty large patio from what I can remember. But yeah maybe having a few people call and book a table is the way to go.

malducin
08-01-2011, 02:15 PM
You can book online via OpenTable. Also I emailed them about the costs of the wine room for events out of curiosity (if they reply I'll post here).

If 2-3 people are going to book 2-3 tables, it'll probably be best if it's going to be people who are going to be there at 7, I myself will go after the Papers Fast Forward.

JCork
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm with Paul on this one. If that doesn't get through to them, it will at least put them into a seizure!

That's a good point, malducin. I'll be going to the Fast Forward event too, so I will be there late. I think reserving multiple tables at the Brewing Co. is the best alternative, though.

Can't wait to see/meet you all!

girloftomorrow
08-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Space wise, Steamworks is a huge restaurant/bar so it should fit a lot of people! Let me know if you have any questions, I'm a local to the area.

migusan76
08-02-2011, 02:37 AM
So I checked out possibly trying to setup a reservation, seems that 7pm that time is booked up. So hopefully the guys here made the Reserve. If not I guess we will have to crash the place.

malducin
08-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Here are the details about booking a room (the smallest one, 40 people) at Steamworks:

To book it, there is a minimum spend of $800-$1500 before tax and gratuity. To confirm a booking, we require a deposit of half the minimum spend. It is not applied to the bill on the evening but is refunded the business day following the event. For parties over 20, we require that you order from our set menu in the attached menu package.

I guess it depends how many people show up. Anyone have any idea how much was spent las year in LA? I'm guessing at least $1000 since there were like 50 of us at least during the night.

MrPositive
08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
You know I'm in again. :) Who is this spunky Corken kid?

polarBearMarch
08-05-2011, 11:10 AM
If they say no, do this! --> :bounce: :bounce: :cry: :bounce: :bounce: :cry: :bounce: :banghead:

I am good at that!

Simon
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I'll be up for some drinkings. Will you guys have a sign or should I just look out for lots of unkempt geeks? ;)

jeremybirn
08-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I'll be up for some drinkings. Will you guys have a sign or should I just look out for lots of unkempt geeks? ;)

It's a good idea if everyone wears CG-related T-shirts or crew jackets.

-jeremy

JCork
08-06-2011, 07:34 PM
You know I'm in again. :) Who is this spunky Corken kid?

Spunky, eh? I like it!

See you soon, Clint!

JCork
08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
As far as the meetup goes...maybe we won't need a reservation? What do you think about that? Maybe we can all go out to Granville street after as well for anyone wanting to continue the party that night? That place is hoppin'!

I unfortunately don't have that money to front the cost, although I totally would if I could. I think your estimation of our expenses last year is pretty accurate, though, malducin. Any other thoughts?

PS. A decent amount of student volunteers have expressed interested in attending the meetup as well. At least those familiar with CGTalk (some not). That may tack on addicitonal bodies to the night.

SheepFactory
08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
So it's at 7pm tonight at steamworks?

RobertoOrtiz
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I will be there.
-R

MikkoK
08-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Sounds good, I'm coming as well!

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2011, 01:15 AM
guys we re at the papers preview.
we will be there at 8:00

Heber
08-08-2011, 02:11 AM
sat at the bar for 2 hours, made attempts to find other people got some weird looks when I asked if they were there for the "cgtalk" meetup then I went home, worst meetup ever guys :hmm:

Korrax
08-08-2011, 02:47 AM
There's a big group of us waiting infront of a reserved SIGGRAPH sign in basement floor.

Kev3D
08-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Well I talked to some staff at Steamworks and they said they got some groups that were too big and got turned away so... Where is everyone?

MonkeyMHz
08-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Lol!, Heber same thing with us.

Me and a few friends waited a bit there, no one seemed to show up. Super awkward, we ended up checking out Rogue at waterfront since that's affiliated with Steamworks. We didn't find CGTalk people, but we did find a bunch of Blender people and we chatted with them, great group of people.

But yea..

SheepFactory
08-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Now I don't feel too bad for missing it.

Syndicate
08-08-2011, 03:29 PM
We waited around a bit, but then sat down for a beer and had a chat with a small group.
No sign of Roberto or the others... are they alive?

MonkeyMHz
08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
If anyone wants to meet up today, PM me on here and ill send you my cell number. And we could arrange a hangout or something before the chapters party event.

Mark-J
08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
unless we just reschedule for later in the week. I couldn't make it last night but still up for beers.

SheepFactory
08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Lets set up a new one.

Started a new thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7076177#post7076177

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.