PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

polygnome
10-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, i used blender for a little more than 6 months and i really like the program. But what questions me is a mirror functino in Blender, how do I mirror a mesh? Also, if someone knows *working* SMD exprter for gmax v 1.0/1.1, please, post a link here.

dreamsgate
10-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Mirroring is simple

Select your object, take your hand off the mouse(very important). Push "S" and "X or Y" keys. Push enter.

all done :)

Apollux
10-29-2003, 03:53 PM
If you just want to mirror the mesh that you already have then do as dreamsgate told you ... not using the mouse while doing it is REALLY IMPORTANT.

But many times one wants a mirrored duplicate of a mesh.. let's say you have the left half of a head and want to create the right side by mirroing the left side.

On this case: select the original mesh, make sure you ARE NOT in edit-mode, press Alt-D to create a linked duplicate, and them select the newly created duplicate and do as dreamsgate told you. (DO NOT PLAY WIHT THE MOUSE).

Then you will need to move the mirrored half to the desired location.

There is a really easy way to let Blender automatically handle the location of the mirrored object, but I'm afraid that I can't explain it without a step-by-step screen capture .. and I don't have where to upload it. :annoyed:

SHORCUT: What dreamsgate told you can be done by just selecting the object (when it is NOT in edit-mode), press N and add a minus (-) sign before the scaling number.

For example, If you want to mirror along the Y axis, press N and it reads Size Y: 4.00 (could be any number), then you change the value to -4.00 and that does the trick!!!

polygnome
10-29-2003, 05:38 PM
ok, thank you i'll try that as soon as possible.
but what about those plugins for gmax? i've got four versions of smdexp.dle plugin but neither of it works :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.