PDA

View Full Version : which tablet is best?

packjazz
10-28-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm relatively new to the digital art world. Just got my copy of PS 7 and was wondering what the best tablet to use with this particular program is?

I figured this would be a great opportunity to get professional opinions on what the best tablets are and why!

ZEROSKULL
10-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi,

Im no a professional but majority professional use's wacom. You can find it at http://wacom.com for more details :)

packjazz
10-29-2003, 08:27 AM
;) Thanks zero, I'd heard that name mentioned before but didn't realize what it was. I checked out the site and the tablets seem pricey, for someone who isn't yet a professional and on a students budget, but they look great. Maybe I'll check ebay to see if there are any used ones out there.

I notice some people create beautiful art with a mouse. I'd be interested to know who out there prefers what tool when it comes to digital art.

ZEROSKULL
10-29-2003, 11:03 AM
No problem. Right now im using Graphire 2 6x4 which is good for begiiner. But if you want to get a tablet you should go for big area spaces.

Ian Jones
10-29-2003, 01:51 PM
This question seems to crop up every few hours... unfortunately. :rolleyes: :D

Do a search or look at the other threads in this forum. Read other ppl's posts and questions and you'll probably find you hardly ever need to ask a question again. I learn a lot that way.

Oh, and ZEROSKULL... not everyone actually likes using a big tablet. Many people suggest that you choose a tablet that suits your drawing style. For example, if you draw small and delicately then obviously a large tablet is going to be pretty clumsy, and vice versa. The Wacom website actually has a 'which tablet should I choose' FAQ that may help you.

yinako
10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
wacom have a new series graphiers, seems to be targeted at amature/avid digital painters.

bumskee
10-29-2003, 09:23 PM
This question seems to crop up every few hours... unfortunately.

very true, all the time...

yeah also true about the size, depends on how you like to work. As I recall the most favoured size was 6X8, some claimed 4X6 too small and 9X12 too big.

yeap check wacom.com and also try group search on google too.

TheWriter
10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
I have been debating on getting one myself (again). Though last time there were hardly any decent tutorials I could find at all on drawing/painting with tablets so was a bit weary.

jbw
10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
TheWriter - drawing and painting with a tablet is similar to doing it with a pencil or paintbrush? Yeah it works a little different with software and you've got to deal with the whole 'I'm looking at the screen whilst drawing somewhere else' but if you can hold a pencil you should pick it up reasonably quickly. :)

I've used a few different sized tablets ranging from the oversized A4 to the 'wee' A5 Intuos 2 I have at work now. I also have an A5 Intuos at home. The oversized A4 was, for me, a joke! After a weeks drawing on it my arm would be exhusted. I personally prefer the A5... but each to their own.

Also be weary of cheap tablets, the company I work for thought they'd hit the jackpot when they forked out for around 20 tablets at about 40 a pop. Seemed sweet until the artists started using them... no-one could draw a smooth curved line! I'm not suggesting stick with Wacom, just make sure you buy from somewhere you can get your money back if you're not happy with it!

ta,
jbw

packjazz
11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks all! I think a medium sized Wacom is going on the top of my x-mas list!

TheWriter
11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Im still debating on that.. Wacom or Bigger monitor..

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.