PDA

View Full Version : Character: Alien-Head

cg-freak
10-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Hello you all,

Found my plastic model-kit of this baby when I was cleaning up my cave and tried to model the head.

This is the result in chrome-look, please let me know what you think of it...

http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/alien_head.jpg
http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/aliens.jpg

Grtzzzz...

CG-Freak

cg-freak
10-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah, some wires for the wirefreaks;)

http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/alien_wires.jpg

mactabilis
10-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Wow! tons of detail! I'd love to see that textured and in a fitting environment.

The Chrome look is alright, but I think the chrome-looking mucous/spit doesn't turn out well.

Christoff
10-28-2003, 02:00 PM
wow! i like that alot! love the attention to detail. i always wanted to model something out of geiger. i agree with the comment about the texture though. keep up the good work! :buttrock:

Lates.

cg-freak
10-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Thank you very much for the c&c.

The saliva is supposed to be waterlike, but what you see is refraction of the chrome and the background, wich is a kitchen by the way, (hope I never find a rat like this in mine, hehehe:) )

I wanted a clean background for these renders, so pulled the thingy out of the alpha in PS to give it a clean backdrop. The downside of this is that you don't see what is refracted by the saliva/spit:drool:

I agree that he/she should be placed in a scene with some nice texturing. Am going to work on that...

http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/alien_head_uc.gif

Grtzzzzzzzzzzzz...

CG-Freak

xeno
10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
awesome stuff u got there m8!
The wire looks very scrumptious!

very nice attention to detail as well!

The teeth seem a bit off tho, a bit rushed, especially the lower.
Work on that and ur model will become even better!

Banshee
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
nice model, but the kitchen-HDRI-Picture doesn´t fit the alien head at all!

cg-freak
10-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanx, always nice to see peoples like your work.

Xeno, could you point me in the right direction, what to change in the teeth?

Banshee, you're right about the HDRI-map, I used that one as a backdrop to give the chrome something to reflect, but it's definitely not a place where you would find this fellow then, hehehe:) Blurred the reflection a bit in the render where it was most obvious.

Grtzzzzzz...

CG-Freak

razzi
10-28-2003, 08:41 PM
Very nice model though...the detail in it are really awesome.I'm very sure you pay a good attentions to your toy reference?

would like to see more of him.

cg-freak
10-29-2003, 09:18 AM
This guy is reaching out for you, haha, give him a hand...

It was indeed a great help having the model as a reference, although his arm or alter ego wich is reaching out, was not included.

Grtzzz...

CG-Freak:eek:

http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/alien_arm.jpg

yangmiemie
10-29-2003, 09:48 AM
wow ,,,,,,,,nice :buttrock:

MedusasHead
10-29-2003, 10:07 AM
STUNNING! :eek: Awesome modelling! And you did this "by the way"??? I agree that the saliva looks a little too plastic (although, it looks in fact like a model kit, which was your reference...). If you took the chrome look and turn it to yellowish brown and diminish the highlights a little, it should come very close to the original. Some blur and bad light like they used in the original`s CG and there will be no difference any more :applause:

greydef
10-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Stop - you're scaring me! :eek:

Perhaps a little more specularity or something on the skin would give it that slick moist look from the films...

Great Job! :applause:

cg-freak
10-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Thank you very much for replying, appreciate it.

Had some problems regarding the datalimit I have on my site, wich was exceeded by posting direct links in this forum, hahaha...

I'm using a friends webspace for the time being.:buttrock:

Thought I was finished with my little alien when I did the first post here, but thanx to you guys I kept on tweaking the model and refining it.

I personally think this one looks best??? Tell me what you think.

Grtzzz...

CG-Freak

http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/alien_wet.jpg

MaDSheeP
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
i think that one does indeed look the best, awesome job, the texturing realy fits the model

Christoff
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
very nice.

Moo 4.5
10-30-2003, 02:04 AM
Wow that DOF reeally brings out your model.

fantasic work keep it up . you shoul do the background true to "Aliens" when they are kinda merged in with the wall .

Demie-Lune
10-30-2003, 02:32 AM
:thumbsup: The texture definitly bring half of the realisum of the model !

There's only one thing that bug me... about the saliva... It doesn't look liquid, but... plastic or icy... well, like rigid... I keep looking, trying to define why it doesn't look liquid and I'm really not sure...

Maybe the refraction is too strong...
Maybe somebody else could help me pointing out too!! :hmm:

ceql
10-30-2003, 03:37 AM
heya cg-freak :)

I really dig that texture, that brings the model up a whole level! Btw, are those blue bits untextured, or is it intentionally blue? could we see a version where the blue parts match the rest of the alien colour? :D

Anywayz, nice work man ;)

Smurf Taco
10-30-2003, 04:18 AM
That's an excellent model. If I may put in my suggestion for the saliva, the texture you have now is nice. I think what it is missing is some foam/bubbles. If you look at anything's saliva, you will notice that it has some sort of bubbles or foamy stuff.

But other than that, amazing model and texturing!:thumbsup:

Kinjiru
10-30-2003, 10:12 AM
wow! very nice one!

lots of detail!

perfect!

Kel Solaar
10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
excellent work with the texture, it bring the mesh to a higher level, nice work!

Mvespa
10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
I love the textures :thumbsup: much better then the chrome one.
And the modeling is superb!

Congratulations!

PsychoSilence
10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
this is hell of an nice model !

the latest texture fits best imo !

maybe the saliva should be a little more decent...it a bit to much imo...make the "lines of saliva" a little thinner...

Kinematics
10-30-2003, 05:05 PM
My god thats really awesome- The texturing truly did make it feel more organic and nasty although the saliva looks kinda hardened :D last i remembered it was really really slimy in the movie
Anyhow really good job - Giger would be so proud ;)

nicolasambrosio
10-30-2003, 10:19 PM
:thumbsup:

jdsb
10-30-2003, 10:24 PM
lovely head...:eek: :surprised

cg-freak
10-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Thank you all, makes the effort worthwhile.

Grtzzz...

CG-Freak

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.