PDA

View Full Version : Lightning?

darthmahon
10-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Hey,

Another question sorry :)

Is there a way to do lightning in Combustion? I know you can do it in After Effects and I would have thought there would be an option to do so in Combustion also.

I've looked through all of the operators and libraries but I can't find anything on it. Did a search through the help as well, still nothing. I would have thought it would be a pretty basic element people might want to add?

Any ideas if Combustion can do this?

Jack Pfeiffer
10-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Hi..

yes, this is easy in Combustion v 2 or v 3...

To do it you would use the powerful built-in Particles
Effects... You can choose an existing Particle from the library
of over 100 effects and modify it, or, create your own from scratch.

You can also dowload more free particles (submitted by users) from www.wondertouch.com.

Lastly, if you STILL can't find what you want, you can always
buy " pre-made particle libraries " from
http://www.cgplanet.net/

bye,

jack
denmark

darthmahon
10-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Jack.

I've just been over to wondertouch and I've managed to find some libraries under the downloads section. These files have an extension of ".iel" while Combustion particle libraries have an extension of ".elc".

I tried putting this .iel file into the particle library file but it didn't like it, when I tried to use the particles it said something about older emitters and it was refreshing the folder.

I am using the Combustion 2.1 Demo by the way.

So I'm not sure how I am meant to get these files to work with Combustion? It keeps mentioning ParticleIllusion to download. Is this an add-on to Combustion or a standalone program?

Many thanks,
Chris

Jack Pfeiffer
10-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi..

Discreet had Alan Lorance (the brains behind WonderTouch) write a "special" plug-in for Combustion... Rest assured, it is the same particle engine in P-Illusion.

To Install a library to Combustion v2, first download a library. Next, simply use the "Load Library" button in Combustion. Or, you can drop the Illusion library file into the "Particle Libraries" folder in combustion's program folder and then restart combustion. The new library will be converted and it'll become another entry in the Library popup list the next time you open Combustion.

Note that Particle Libraries actually have TWO different types of file extensions. they are:

*.IEL (illusion emitter lib)
*.ELC (emitter lib combustion)

When you load an IEL into c* it gets converted to a ELC.

The background of the particles is a FAQ... (VERY often asked ...)
Why don't you pop on over to the TIPS & TRICKS section at FXGuide.com and read up on it... ? Link:

http://www.fxguide.com/modules.php?name=fxtips&rop=fxtip_list&catid=8

Look for "More Particles for Combustion" ...

have fun, & keep combustin ' ...

jack

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.