PDA

View Full Version : Where is it bad to have 5,6,and 6 star poles on your model?

maroond
06-14-2011, 04:24 AM
i try to avoid them but they are kind of inevitable at times. I know it doesn't matter having them in certain places; if you could lemme know it would be greatly appreciated. I really need to reroute the ones on my model, got 2 above the eye, 1 below it, and 1 by the corner of the mouth. None on the rest of the body though.

vaska1992
06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Hi, I'm not big expert on this, but I believe that 6 poles are very bad for animation. 5 pole are bad too, but you probably can hide them somewhere, where they won't be seen. For example on top of the head. Or behind. 6Poles can be made into 2, 5poles, I believe, so this will probably have you do lots of retopology, but should make it easier later on.

nemeru
07-05-2011, 11:32 AM
hey
you shouldn't be having n-stars, but 5poles are okay. (from 6stars you can do 3stars) ofc they're unwanted, but they also *need* to be on the model. otherwise, the topology will be messed up.

the thing is, 5poles are created with creating localized detail, and you need to do that fairly often on a model. so it's inevitable. The rule of thumb here is, try keeping them in areas, where the skin won't have much deformation, or where they'll be covered with something.
top of the head, as suggested, is perfect, but you can't reroute all the 5poles on your model to go there ;)

think of where the model won't be seen much.

other good places are behind an ear, armpits, between fingers, bellybutton (which by nature is so messed up on it's own, that you can end virtually anything in there and it will look okay ^^), crotch, etc... on the head, 5stars are normal, especially the one above the corner of the mouth, so don't sweat it too much.

if you could post a screenshot, i can go further and draw on it if you like.

-peter

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2011, 11:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.