PDA

View Full Version : Is painter 8 worth it?

Anm8
10-28-2003, 06:59 AM
I just got a new tablet and painter 7 comes with it. I really like the way it handles pressure while working, seems like it works better than ps too. My question is for those who have gone from 7 classic to 8 full....is it worth it for me to spend $120 to upgrade. What am I missing out on? Thanks!:wavey:

Jinbrown
10-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi,

Did you get your tablet from Wacom, and are you sure it's Painter 7, or is it Painter Classic 2?

As far as I know, there is no "7 classic".

If you actually do have Painter 7, it's a full version.

If you have Painter Classic 2, it's not a full Painter version but is based on Painter 7, as Painter Classic 1 was based on Painter 5.

Both Painter Classic versions are very limited and are what I refer to as an appetizer to get people interested in buying a full Painter version.

Depending on what you actually have, the answer to your question will be quite different.

If you're not sure what you have, open the program and in the Help menu, choose About......

The splash screen will open and display the name of the software and the version number.

zionlocke
10-29-2003, 12:27 AM
i was wondering if the patch for painter 8 is out yet?

klingspor
10-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Well, I'd say if you can come to terms with the interface of Painter 7 or classic, then stay with it. Other than that there aren't too many good reasons to update.
But the new interface really is a huge improvement, so you would at least want to download the trial version over at Corel (http://www.corel.com/painter8/) to see for yourself if it's any good for you...

@zionlocke: afaik, there is no patch yet... they still have 3 days until the end of october though :shrug:

Anm8
10-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Holy smokes...it is version 2 classic!

I see how I was confused now! The papers that came with the wacom tablet say version 7 exclusive offer so I assumed I was using v7 classic and they wanted me to buy full ver7! Plus that splash screen only shows for about one second and its gone....

I will check out v8 screenshots though!!

Thanks!

rose
11-07-2003, 10:50 AM
On the general subject if the programe Painter is worth it. My vote goes for this user friendly programme. (though i still have to have the resources to buy a legit copy of the prgm, which says something about the state of computer graphics as art that can be actually sold, the collectors being stuck on having unique art objects that no one else can also possess, have to learn how CGs neighbour photography is sold in the art-market. Any tips?)

clojster
11-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Anyway... can someone please tell me if that upgrade is worth it? (P7 to P8)

Thanks
-jakub

klingspor
11-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Jakub Sporek
Anyway... can someone please tell me if that upgrade is worth it? (P7 to P8)

Thanks
-jakub :rolleyes: How about reading the replies?

Nobody can outright tell you if its worth upgrading, because it's mostly a matter of personal preference. If you can do all you need in P7 then stick with it, but if the new features in 8 are worth it to you then go ahead and upgrade. How are we supposed to make a general statement "Yes/No it is/isn't worth the upgrade?"...

And I'll say it again: There is a downloadable trial version at Corel's site, so why not try for yourself? :shrug:

chrisdejoya
12-05-2003, 12:11 AM
how about a testimonial?

i jumped into painter with version 7 and have found no reason to upgrade, nor have i had the urge to try 8. i am totally satisfied.

mokba
12-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Painter is a memory hog with version 7 driving that distinction to new heights. Don't get me wrong, I love this program but it appears slow if you are used to running PS. Luckily Painter 8 addresses the memory black hole and has finally put some speed back into it. While there are plenty of updates to 8 I think the best reason to update is that the program functions in a speedier manner. mokba

clojster
12-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys for your opinions...

Originally posted by mokba
Luckily Painter 8 addresses the memory black hole and has finally put some speed back into it. While there are plenty of updates to 8 I think the best reason to update is that the program functions in a speedier manner. mokba

Well THIS is very good reason to upgrade. Thanks :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.