06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFLFgPFuqT0

edit: fixed link

SheepFactory
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Ah so this is what you guys have been working on at Pixar Canada. :D

XeroWolf
06-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Ah those planes... :rolleyes: Is it safe to say we can expect a Ships movie in the foreseeable future?

vfx
06-14-2011, 12:26 AM
I get - 'this video is private'

SheepFactory
06-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Video is removed by user. I love it when companies pull trailers from youtube.

ah-fx
06-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Hmm that's to bad.

I wouldn't mind taking credit for that trailer, the guys at Disney are doing a good job, but we're doing shorts up here in Canada.

Tbones
06-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Wondering if this was a hoax.

HughBowen
06-14-2011, 01:38 AM
http://thefilmstage.com/2011/06/13/planes-trailer-further-chronicles-the-downfall-of-pixar/

Well now the downfall of pixar begins :shrug:

ah-fx
06-14-2011, 01:58 AM
http://thefilmstage.com/2011/06/13/planes-trailer-further-chronicles-the-downfall-of-pixar/

Well now the downfall of pixar begins :shrug:

I deliberately stay out of these discussions because my point of view would no doubt be see as biased, but I would like to point out that this is a Disney movie, not a Pixar movie.

I actually titled this thread "Planes", one of the ops changed it to "Disney/Pixar's Planes Trailer"

SheepFactory
06-14-2011, 02:14 AM
I deliberately stay out of these discussions because my point of view would no doubt be see as biased, but I would like to point out that this is a Disney movie, not a Pixar movie.

I actually titled this thread "Planes", one of the ops changed it to "Disney/Pixar's Planes Trailer"

I assumed it is Pixar when I saw your info since you have not provided any info whatsoever other than posting a youtube link.

Tbones
06-14-2011, 02:36 AM
I found something HERE (http://dai.ly/mqfFbT) Looks Like Pixar.

gregjenings
06-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Whataever whether it is a Pixar or Disney movie ,According to my info it is two sides of same coin and when it comes to the trailer it says from the makes of "Cars",I think nobody should have any doubts about it's origin.
It looks like hiring local staff (no offence to ppl who worked on it but may be seniors gave them the wrong job) cost them bit too much than the savings they have made from government Taxes.
What I know lots of Disney's shorts and direct to home videos are done by an Indian Company which include much popular :Tinkerbell" But if this done by the much hyped Pixar Canada than they should definitely look where is the problem.

Thanks HughBowen for the Link

jewalker
06-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Planes is a direct to DVD movie made by Disney Toon Studios, the same division that created the Tinkerbell movies. All of the development is done in Burbank and then most of the work is done by Prana Studios in India.

jewalker
06-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Whataever whether it is a Pixar or Disney movie ,According to my info it is two sides of same coin and when it comes to the trailer it says from the makes of "Cars",I think nobody should have any doubts about it's origin.

It never actually says "from the makers of Cars" or Pixar anywhere in the trailer. It says "From above the world of Cars" and then "Disney Planes".

Larry_g1s
06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Planes is a direct to DVD movie made by Disney Toon Studios, the same division that created the Tinkerbell movies. All of the development is done in Burbank and then most of the work is done by Prana Studios in India.And I've been impressed with the quality of those also. As a father of four, I think this looks cute and fun for me and my family. :)

sassimicah
06-14-2011, 06:48 AM
yeah but the name cars was sighted as well as its logo its seems the disneyfication of pixar is well under way......i guess will start calling you guys pixney.
i dont know we'll wait and see but its worth a mention most people can tell when an animation is made by studio executives as opposed to actual artists.

leif3d
06-14-2011, 07:01 AM
After all the trash talk I finally saw the trailer, and I gotta say...it wasn't that bad...
It's only a teaser and looks kinda silly, but it's too early too judge.

Panupat
06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
After all the trash talk I finally saw the trailer, and I gotta say...it wasn't that bad...
It's only a teaser and looks kinda silly, but it's too early too judge.
... I kinda think the same about the CG. What's really horrible tho were the cuts and the red text on grey...

TheRazorsEdge
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Oh Jeeez! Of course it's Pixar. Disney owns Pixar ...... The rendered look etc is great, as usual, but regarding the probable story.....

Hey, what the industry needs is something like " Pixar Unleashed/Unchained!" A new subdivision, creating animation for adults that really kicks ass. Well, I claim the copyright for that idea, so if they want to pursue it, I'm their man. lol

Cheers!

oktawu
06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with pixar. At least i hope not...for their sake.

rendermaniac
06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
If they make another one about trains my 3 year old will be the first in the queue! I think it looks pretty nice for what it is.

Simon

PerryDS
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I think pixar should leave this type of production to those who specialize in delivering content for younger audiences. Over commercialization tends to over-saturate markets.

I sense that the animation industry may be heading towards a big collapse ...

irwit
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
" in a comedy packed with action and adventure starring Dusty, a small town dreamer who longs to enter the most epic around-the-world air race despite his fear of heights. With the help and support of a fleet of new and hilarious characters, Dusty wings his way into the biggest challenge of his life. "

Sounds pretty original to me :arteest:

-SD-
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
This is just embarrassing...

vfx
06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
It's always been a plan for Pixar to make direct to video sequels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2h2lvhzMDc

Doesn't look all that bad, in fact I think I prefer it to Cars, the first flop from Pixar in my book.

circusboy
06-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't expect to like it as much as my favorite pixar films. But I expect I get this for my son
(as he'll love it).
And yes we'll probably see Cars2 opening week-end. He asks if we are going almost daily and is dissappointed it isn't released yet.

oktawu
06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
This has collectibles written all over it.
Pretty much the main reason why the cars universe has been such a money maker for disney.

plug3
06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Trains, ... , Buses, Bicycles, Motorbikes, Shopping Carts, Lawnmowers, Baby Strollers

Lunatique
06-15-2011, 04:09 AM
You know, for all the talk from the Pixar guys about how much they love Miyazaki's work, why don't they actually try to make a film with that kind of magical sense of wonder? The kind of worlds we see in Pixar's films just seem mundane compared to the ones we see in Miyazaki's films. Some of the Pixar films are also retreading the same spot too much, and that goes against all the things they keep saying they are against as a company. I'm not bashing them--I'm a big fan. Just wondering out loud, that's all.

flipnap
06-15-2011, 04:52 AM
I sense that the animation industry may be heading towards a big collapse ...

I seriously doubt it..

anuarnor
06-15-2011, 05:35 AM
You guys should do Thomas! :D

TheRazorsEdge
06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
You know, for all the talk from the Pixar guys about how much they love Miyazaki's work, why don't they actually try to make a film with that kind of magical sense of wonder? The kind of worlds we see in Pixar's films just seem mundane compared to the ones we see in Miyazaki's films. Some of the Pixar films are also retreading the same spot too much, and that goes against all the things they keep saying they are against as a company. I'm not bashing them--I'm a big fan. Just wondering out loud, that's all.

Quoted for 100% agreement!

How are the efforts towards that goal going in China? I know you guys must be pretty busy trying to cook something up, especially with the stuff currently happening in Tianjin.

Cheers!

Michael5188
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't see why everyone is against this. It's a straight to dvd, fun film for little boys who loved Cars and now can watch cool jets and airplanes fly around.

For some reason talking cars and jets bother people, but The Brave Little Toaster is a beloved film... a movie about talking household appliances... (but hell, I loved it as a kid)

As far as Pixar being safe with their films and worlds, that I think is a problem with pretty much all of animation in the U.S. It's not that I don't like anything currently being made, (I love most of the films Pixar has made) I just feel like with the animated medium, in which everything is hand-crafted from scratch, there is sooooo much more that could be done style-wise and world-wise.

The possibilities are endless, and yet in many ways we remain very grounded. It's not that I think every animated film needs to be way out there, I just wish some were.

karthikarctic
06-16-2011, 06:38 AM
hmmm...that was unnecessary

Artbot
06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
I, too, thought this was a high quality parody. The shots look okay, if a little barren, but the editing and title placards are terrible.

Also, isn't the mission of fighter planes to, you know, bomb and shoot things? Seems weird that Disney would produce something so blatantly militaristic. I'm not anti-military at all, but in the worlds of Cars, their goal was to win races, which is admirable, if predictable. But in the world of fighter jets, are they going to do wing-tip hi-5s when they take out a terrorist hideout? Is the hero plane going to use his negotiating skill to get out of a jam and save some innocent civilians in the process?

Alice
06-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty and aid something thats loved by children alone, not both children and parents. This is not a product for us, and thats ok. More money to make the big productions :)

BigPixolin
06-16-2011, 01:43 PM
And as usual the target audience is going to eat it up, because that is who it is intended for. Not grown men who only discuss the movie because it is cg, and then not discuss the cg but are instead confused as to why they don't like this kids movie.

Dennik
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
And after "Planes" there will be "Submarines" Which will be a prequel to "Finding Nemo 2".

I don't get it either. Apparently the Disney takeover of Pixar was indeed a take over in all fronts. Its just all Disney mentality running the place now.

Ballo
06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
It's just money. If they get enough money with small productions they will focus in movies that we love later.

MaxBickley
06-16-2011, 04:18 PM

What exactly, has Pixar been retreading upon?

RobertoOrtiz
06-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Planes is a direct to DVD movie made by Disney Toon Studios, the same division that created the Tinkerbell movies. All of the development is done in Burbank and then most of the work is done by Prana Studios in India.

I have their movies on Blue ray, and they are quite good, considering their budget limitations.
And as usual the target audience is going to eat it up, because that is who it is intended for. Not grown men who only discuss the movie because it is cg, and then not discuss the cg but are instead confused as to why they don't like this kids movie.

There are 10 BILLION reason why Disney is doing this.
They would be INSANE not to cater to this audience.
Quote:
"
Walt Disney Expects 'Cars 2' Merchandise to Eclipse 'Toy Story 3'
The 'Cars' franchise has crossed $10 billion in total retail sales, ......."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walt-disney-expects-cars-2-196568
-R

Great post BTW. To be fair Pixar's Up is an spectacualr film. They should do more films like that.

BigPixolin
06-16-2011, 05:05 PM
There are 10 BILLION reason why Disney is doing this.
They would be INSANE not to cater to this audience.
Quote:
"
Walt Disney Expects 'Cars 2' Merchandise to Eclipse 'Toy Story 3'
The 'Cars' franchise has crossed $10 billion in total retail sales, ......."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walt-disney-expects-cars-2-196568
-R

Exactly and they would be insane to cater to this audience, which people here think they should do.

kees
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
A lot of little boys LOVE cars, planes, trains etc.
My four year old nephew is always talking about them.
And he loves Pixar Cars.

This is a movie for him. And he will really appreciate Disney is doing one about planes.
And so will his parents.

A lot of you are complaining but this is straight to DVD intended for parents with small kids who love planes. I don't complain about every sports game being created because I just don't enjoy sports games.

Lunatique
06-17-2011, 05:18 AM
How are the efforts towards that goal going in China? I know you guys must be pretty busy trying to cook something up, especially with the stuff currently happening in Tianjin.

Don't hold your breath. China is a mess on that front. It might take decades before China actually produces anything worthy of comparison. There are people here who have ambition and dreams, but the entire system here is very unhealthy for people with dreams and ideals. You can't produce animation that is truly moving and inspiring in this kind of environment. I've taught students here and they all wish they could emigrate to another country that allows honest dreams to flourish. China is all about making money, even if it means doing it the "dirty way (lying, cheating, poisoning, cutting corners, ripping off others), and when they say otherwise, it's just lip-service and not sincere. That is the way of life in China, and exceptions are few and far between. All the CG people I've met in China are frustrated by this unhealthy environment for creativity. I feel for them, because it's not like they could just easily get out and move somewhere else at their whim (although my friend Ruan Jia just recently got recruited by a game company in Canada and they managed to get him a visa. All his co-workers at Net Dragon are envious).

BTW, I'm not from China. I'm an American who was born in Taiwan.

I recall the higher ups during interviews or talks often going on about not repeating themselves and trying something new and different every time. We now have Toy Story 1, 2, and 3. Cars 1 and 2. And airplanes is like a variation upon the vehicle theme. I absolutely do no believe merchandising was not part of the decision to make these films. They money they make off of merchandising on these are staggering.

I'm not saying they don't try to strive for the highest quality even in the sequels, because they clearly do (I love Toy Story 2), but I'm just saying they kind of don't practice what they preach 100%. There's always a "but" somewhere it seems. Might as well not make these public statements and just do what you do and let the quality of your work speak for themselves.

Visually, I would also like to see Pixar push for more variety in art direction. Everything from Pixar has that rounded, cute look. If we look at animated films from other studios, we can see varieties that are very different from Pixar's "house style"--Rango, Monster House, Legend of the Guardians, Happy Feet, Final Fantasy: TSW, Advent Children, Appleseed, Tin Tin, the Zemeckis productions...etc.

In terms of the storytelling, there's also a "house style" to the films, regardless of subject matter. The "tone" is very consistent. Not that I'm complaining because that style works and is very heart-warming and charming. But I'm sure there are ideas from Pixar employees that gets passed over because they are inconsistent with that "cute, funny, and emotionally resonant" formula. What if there's a story that's inspiring and emotional but not cute and not funny? Would we ever see that from Pixar? What if it's terrifying and sobering, but with a profound message? How about anything that doesn't evolve a cute visual style and lots of jokes/humor?

Pixar always said publicly that they make the kind of films they personally love, and perhaps the collective taste of the Brain Trust at Pixar is exactly like the films they have produced--they favor cute and funny stories that are also emotionally moving. Or maybe they just know it's a formula that works extremely well--one that other studio often try to copy but don't quite get it right. Perhaps they are afraid as soon as they try something very different, they'll fail because they understand what their strengths are.

Anyway, that's pretty much what I meant.

ThE_JacO
06-17-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm afraid I fail to be enraged and offended by this.
I'm not exactly a pixar fanboy, and cars, and soon cars2, are two of the very few of their movies I haven't seen/won't see at the cinema.

With that said, what's wrong with someone milking a toy-friendly franchise by producing D2V or TV content?
Of course this is about the money, and to be honest, for a D2V it looks well above average, at least as much above average as cars2 looks below it.

If them doing this also means that they will focus on more original theatric releases and less sequels, I say "bring it on".
I'd be more concerned if this was a theatrical release, and am relieved to see it's not. And on top of that, this is Disney (owning the franchises) capitalising on the home video market, something they have been doing for the best part of the last two decades... in case nobody noticed you know :)

Alice
06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
What you are talking about, Lunatique is the classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" if they do radical changes to what they produce and make a grave of the fireflies or what ever, people would say they have fallen. If they don't make radical changes, people will say its the "same old, same old".
Why take huge risks for a small gain?

Lunatique
06-17-2011, 10:23 AM
What you are talking about, Lunatique is the classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" if they do radical changes to what they produce and make a grave of the fireflies or what ever, people would say they have fallen. If they don't make radical changes, people will say its the "same old, same old".
Why take huge risks for a small gain?

Actually, if they had done something like Grave of the Fireflies (and the original film never existed at all, so Pixar's take would be the original), then I'm pretty damn sure they would have been bathing in universal critical acclaim and all the film critics would be falling all over themselves to declare that it is a masterpiece and animation is not just for children because Pixar proved it so. Critics already say that about their films, but Grave of the Fireflies is a whole other level of art beyond what Pixar has done to date, IMO.

Alice
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
But then, could you get a whole company onboard on doing something like that? It is a huge risk. Critics may like something, that doesn't mean it brings in the dough. And if people are afraid they might loose a livehood on a job, will it be the epic vision first imagined?
I'm not saying that this is the case, I don't know Pixar as a company, what I'm trying to say is that it's easy to have an outside perspective and an opinion, especially when it comes to the artistic side. But behind all that, there's economy and politics and people. And while one individual is smart, "people" are generally a wee bit harder to reason with.

I have more respect for the large company who doesn't risk everything for the artistic higher good. I'm not saying that artistic experimental endeavours shouldn't be encouraged, but I don't get the whole "why haven't you turned the whole ship into another direction?"

TheRazorsEdge
06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Lunatique: Thanks a lot for the candid look at the status quo in China.

BTW, I'm not from China. I'm an American who was born in Taiwan.
I meant no offense by assuming you were. :)

Cheers!

Lunatique
06-17-2011, 02:02 PM
But then, could you get a whole company onboard on doing something like that? It is a huge risk. Critics may like something, that doesn't mean it brings in the dough. And if people are afraid they might loose a livehood on a job, will it be the epic vision first imagined?
I'm not saying that this is the case, I don't know Pixar as a company, what I'm trying to say is that it's easy to have an outside perspective and an opinion, especially when it comes to the artistic side. But behind all that, there's economy and politics and people. And while one individual is smart, "people" are generally a wee bit harder to reason with.

I have more respect for the large company who doesn't risk everything for the artistic higher good. I'm not saying that artistic experimental endeavours shouldn't be encouraged, but I don't get the whole "why haven't you turned the whole ship into another direction?"

Well, that's always the eternal struggle, isn't it? Artistic vision vs. commercialism and profit.

Some companies are willing to make that bet, and some aren't. When studio Ghibli made Grave of the Fireflies, I bet they had that concern too. It's not something that's going to make them a ton of money with merchandise like the typical anime, and in fact, it might lose money, being such a harrowing and depressing story, but they did it anyway because it meant something to them. Even in a climate like theirs where anime has far more diversity than American animation, it was probably still quite a gamble. In general, anime is far more brave in taking chances and trying different things, with films like Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue...etc.

I think we'll eventually see more adult-themed animation like that from the west, but it's not going to come from studios like Disney or Pixar--they'll come from other companies who aren't so fixated on cutesy styled animation that has to be friendly to children.

Personally, I don't even care which studio makes films like that. I just want to see more diversity in general.

Lunatique: Thanks a lot for the candid look at the status quo in China.

I meant no offense by assuming you were. :)

Cheers!

NP.

Michael5188
06-17-2011, 06:25 PM
I think ILM took a step in that direction with Rango, which although wasn't extremely mature, definitely broke away from a lot of the tropes of western animation. Hopefully the trend continues with them and future studios.

ambassador
06-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Haha, whats all the huffl-puff fanboy pouting about. You should all be happy, more jobs for you (if you could even get hired to work on it), its the meat and potatoes of the industry, like 95% of all the other film/tv work out there its not avatar or whatever the kids are into these days, its to generate $'s so you can buy your big boy toys.

&, from the pic, it looks pretty nice for tv.

Dr Dardis
06-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Yeah, I often muse @ that. I am not unhappy of course, as we have both pixar and miyazaki to give us sweet candy, and they each do their thang well. It may just be a cultural acceptance thing... Plus miyazaki doesn't alwys adhere strictly to 3 act structure ;). U.S. audiences are used to milder spices, as it were ;). Maybe as a younger country there is less shared myth to source from? Still miyazaki gets a lot of his inspiration from western sources/settings, but still jams the 'wonder' in there. Just hypothesis and postulation though...

... and also agreed, Rango was edging closer to 'wonder'. That film took me a it by surprise.

EricLyman
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I used to feel way more cynical about stuff like this. Now I have two boys of my own (ages 4 & 2). It's unreal how much they love Cars, and Thomas, and just about any other talking vehicle show you can think of. Seeing how happy it makes them helped me realize the real value in animated films.

And for those whose feel violated or that artistic integrity has been compromised, there are no shortage of "grown up" (E.g. live action) films out there. Just my two cents as a former CG-Artist, turned Father/CG-Artist.

Manwich
06-21-2011, 11:00 PM
the link doesnt work anymore.....looks like the vid has been pulled by the user

maybe over copyright?

M

Larry_g1s
06-21-2011, 11:11 PM
I used to feel way more cynical about stuff like this. Now I have two boys of my own (ages 4 & 2). It's unreal how much they love Cars, and Thomas, and just about any other talking vehicle show you can think of. Seeing how happy it makes them helped me realize the real value in animated films.

And for those whose feel violated or that artistic integrity has been compromised, there are no shortage of "grown up" (E.g. live action) films out there. Just my two cents as a former CG-Artist, turned Father/CG-Artist.Father of four and I'm right there with ya on this. I think too often we expect features to be this high-brow, epic, move me type. And as what was pointed out earlier, is movies like this are much in line with many of the cartoons we liked as kids (and can still sit down with our kids and enjoy if applicable). It's one of the reason I really enjoyed the first cars...it was just a fun, entertaining movie.

thatoneguy
06-24-2011, 06:00 AM
Hey, what the industry needs is something like " Pixar Unleashed/Unchained!" A new subdivision, creating animation for adults that really kicks ass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_(film)

thatoneguy
06-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Well if I was a cynic.. no wait I am! :D

Toy Story
Toys get lost and have an adventure trying to get home.

Toy Story 2

Toy Story 3

Up
Boy gets lost and has an adventure trying to find his way home.

Finding Nemo
Fish gets lost and his father has an adventure trying to find him and bring him home.

Monsters Inc
Girl gets lost and the monsters have an adventure trying to find her and bring her home.

Wall-E
Robot's girlfriend is lost and he has an adventure trying to find her and bring her home.

Ratatouille
Rat gets lost and has an adventure trying to find his way home.

A Bug's life
7 Samurai with Bugs

Just once I would like a Pixar film where the main characters don't get lost or kidnapped. It's almost like a *#($# madlibs at this point. Here I can write the next Pixar movie right now.

Ummm, rats, girls, boys, planes, toys... Horses! They haven't done horses yet and kids love horses.

A Horse gets lost and has an adventure trying to find her way home.

From the wild and untamed Rocky Mountains comes the next Pixar movie. __FEMALE PONY NAME__ is an arrogant and selfish pony who doesn't think she needs help from anybody. But after her herd is _INSERT TRAUMATIC EVENT__, FEMALE PONY is separated and swept down stream. Lost and alone __FEMALE PONY NAME__ discovers the importance of friendship and cooperation as she braves the wilds and finds her way home.

Done. You can send me my check Disney.

EDIT: Ooops, I honestly just realized that I accidentally just rehashed the plot of Cars.

So I guess I can add that one too:
Cars
A car gets lost and has an adventure finding trying to get home.

kelgy
06-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Just once I would like a Pixar film where the main characters don't get lost or kidnapped. It's almost like a *#($# madlibs at this point. Here I can write the next Pixar movie right now.

**John Carter gets lost too doesnt he?
How will you feel if he finds his way back to earth at the end?
;)

RAK
06-24-2011, 07:52 AM
might be off topic here, but as a direct to video release it looks quite good.
I personally love planes (as a kid wanted to be a pilot) and yes i have been reading illustrated childrenbooks with planes that had eyes, boats that had eyes, pencils, yellow taxi's and a lot more great stuff!

Keep creating!

TheRazorsEdge
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_(film)

That's nice and all, but I meant animation, not live-action.

Cheers!

Memorist
06-26-2011, 01:29 AM
It looks good, i feel that there will be a lot a jokes coming off Top Gun from this.

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2011, 01:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.