PDA

View Full Version : THQ Closes Homefront Dev

RobertoOrtiz
06-13-2011, 06:19 PM
THQ closed Kaos Studios, makers of Homefront. Development of the franchise is being shifted to the publisher's Montreal studio.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1175762p1.html

francomanko
06-13-2011, 10:26 PM
"This move was done as a "strategic realignment" of resources."

statements like this just make me feel sick. Just comes across as showing how little they cared for the people involved.

THQ's UK studio and KAOS employees will have the opportunity to interview for open positions with the company globally. ...how generous.

Good luck to those people who've lost their jobs.

Charkins
06-14-2011, 03:13 PM
statements like this just make me feel sick. Just comes across as showing how little they cared for the people involved.

What were they supposed to do differently? Quoted for relevance: "It isn't a charity, it's a business." They're hiring elsewhere, and former employees have a foot in to another location. It's sad news, indeed, but if it wasn't working out, it wasn't working out.

skyfinch
06-14-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought the game sold fairly well, did it not?

circusboy
06-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Hmm-might be a little 'tax credit here but no tax credit there ' (anymore) motivation.
The government in the UK really seems to be dropping the ball on the games industry. Meanwhile the film industry is still getting the credits...

francomanko
06-14-2011, 10:27 PM
What were they supposed to do differently?

Oh I don't know, call me old fashioned but maybe more emphasis on treating workers more as people than resources..

"It isn't a charity, it's a business."

arghh...I feel sick again.

Charkins
06-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh I don't know, call me old fashioned but maybe more emphasis on treating workers more as people than resources..

What does this actually mean? If the operation is in the negative or dysfunctional, do you think they should keep doors open just for the sake of giving people a job? That's not how it works...

ah-fx
06-16-2011, 10:03 PM
http://business.financialpost.com/2011/06/15/thq-to-close-ny-uk-studios-and-shift-operations-to-montreal/

Economic development agency InvestQuebec offers generous tax incentives to encourage research and development in the province including a 35% rebate on eligible R&D costs. Plus, to help attract talented developers, the province provides a refundable tax credit of up to 37.5% on development studiosí payroll.

ambient-whisper
06-16-2011, 10:57 PM
http://business.financialpost.com/2011/06/15/thq-to-close-ny-uk-studios-and-shift-operations-to-montreal/

If a company is banking on tax rebates, and that's how they operate, then they failed before they started. just sayin.

circusboy
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Except they are all doing it. I'm find it hard to find a big player that doesn't have a studio in Montreal now...or is thinking of setting one up.

And really its not that the UK never had tax rebates at all-its that they *stopped* giving them to game developement. The film industry still seems to have them-which is why thats still strong there.

BigPixolin
06-17-2011, 02:49 PM

arghh...I feel sick again.

You do know what a business is, and what it's main purpose is? Correct?

mehran
06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
well :( there goes another one,

Mozchops
06-17-2011, 03:28 PM
commiserations to the people who just got laid off, and very best of luck to them.
this has become a very nasty habit by the industry, lay people off when times are lean, - re-hire when productions get back into swing, its such a waste of time and resources and skilled staff get pissed off and lose the will to live, let alone want to put their all into a new project - :(

"THQ's UK studio and KAOS employees will have the opportunity to interview for open positions with the company globally. "

why should they have to be re-interviewed if they were good enough to hire in the first place?

Plastix
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
why should they have to be re-interviewed if they were good enough to hire in the first place?

Maybe because of quite low quality of Kaos Studios games. And also...

THQ Inc's (THQI.O) shares fell more than 20 percent after one of its highly anticipated video games (Homefront) received negative reviews as it hit stores on Tuesday

(c) Reuters

ambient-whisper
06-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Maybe because of quite low quality of Kaos Studios games. And also...
dont think quality has anything to do with it. I am thinking that other things would be more important. re-negotiating contracts, visas, salary, change of position/ job title. all of these will need a re-evaluation.

but as for low quality of games from kaos, I dont think thats what it is. the game itself sold 375000 copies on its first day. So at $45 a pop at the least, still makes you 16mil in one day. granted, a bunch of it goes into marketing, distribution, etc, but still. lots of money for just one day.

Plastix
06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
dont think quality has anything to do with it. I am thinking that other things would be more important. re-negotiating contracts, visas, salary, change of position/ job title. all of these will need a re-evaluation.

It`s not only about overall product quailty, its also about artist quality level. Artist whos level is good enough for one company/studio can be not so good or bad for another company/studio and vice versa.

but as for low quality of games from kaos, I dont think thats what it is. the game itself sold 375000 copies on its first day. So at $45 a pop at the least, still makes you 16mil in one day. granted, a bunch of it goes into marketing, distribution, etc, but still. lots of money for just one day.

Dont foreget about -20% shares drop because of Homefront.

francomanko
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM
You do know what a business is, and what it's main purpose is? Correct?

oh do tell....

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.