PDA

View Full Version : 3D Studio Max easy question with maybe not such an easy answer...

KaiserAdler
06-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi!

Software : 3D Studio Max 8.0
My problem is simple : I have two vertexes, one is in place on a plane and the other is slightly off on one axis. How do I align the second vertex to the first, without getting through the cumbersome process of finding the coordinates of the first vertex?
I ask this, because at some moment I might have 100 vertexes that I need to align on one axis for instance to another 100 vertexes.
Now, the procedures I tied and do not work :
- scale does not work as it moves both vertexes trying to get them to a common center, and the first is already into position and I do not want it to be moved
- align - I tried all the options inside, but the results are all unwanted and chaotic, none of them coming close to what I want
Is there any elegant method to align a vertex to another vertex that is already in place, a method that does not require selecting and deselecting vertexes in order to find the coordinates of the target vertex?
Thank you in advance!

Best regards!

Psyk0
06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Another solution: select the vert you want to move, activate snap and snap it to the other one?

KaiserAdler
06-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Good ideea, but for some reason I can't make it work. The results for me are the same as when using align. I have also used constraints when using your ideea, but the result is the same (yet less chaotic than without constraints, wich is a total mess). What I have used as target for the snap are vertexes.

Psyk0
06-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Show me an example of your mesh, i just tried to snap one to another and it worked...my snap settings are set to vertex and midpoint.

Arrimus
06-12-2011, 11:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-cgiT47Vew

KaiserAdler
06-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Thank you both. Snap worked on another try, and I shall see why it didn't from the first time.

AbsorbentGhost
06-16-2011, 10:24 PM
what project are u working on???

KaiserAdler
06-16-2011, 11:12 PM
I have more projects I am working on, most of them related to model clothing, but the question was in actuality an atempt from my part to improve my work efficiency.

AbsorbentGhost
06-16-2011, 11:16 PM
on a scale of 1-10 what grade would u say u are??
honestly speaking??

I have more projects I am working on, most of them related to model clothing, but the question was in actuality an atempt from my part to improve my work efficiency.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2011, 11:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.