PDA

View Full Version : Challenge WIP: illustr8rX

illustr8rX
01-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Any and all crits welcome. I painted this in Photoshop. It's mostly finished, tho' I'm sure I could work on it a lot more. Hmm- I forgot his hat...Rats.
I used some parts -(face and hands) from a WIP that's been sitting around my site for months. I believe I owe the challenge a side view and something else, yes?
http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-464.jpg
NOTE: Special thanks to ACFred for donating space to post this. He's a very generous guy.
-Don

sigma
01-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Impressive.
Im always amazed at what some people can do in Photoshop.
Do you use a Wacom tablet?

ACFred
01-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Damn, Don, that's a fine piece of work.

As one who's grappling with the human form, I'm going to keep this image around as a reference -- exagerated or not. If you have a larger version of it, any chance I could get a copy?

Slick piece of work. I'm a jealous man.

Alec

illustr8rX
01-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the nice comments.

sigma: yes, I have a 6x8 intuos pad, it makes painting much faster.

ACFred: well, the original image is about 3100x4600 @ 400 ppi. Yes, I like to throw needless detail into a painting-there are nicks and dents on this guy that no one will ever see, lol.
email me and let me know what size ya want...and again, thanks for the space. It's great not having to post a link that no one will visit.
-don

-JT-
01-19-2002, 03:03 AM
Pfiou, you've got talent. :)
The only thing, it looks like the tail has been "added", i mean we don't feel it belongs to his body.

Otherwise it's great, well done.

pascal_blanche
01-19-2002, 03:11 AM
Niice drawing! already bookmarked your site a while ago.. I really like your sketches, some of them remember me sketches from Wayne barlowe (wich is a compliment ;) ) you re-used parts of your ninja right?

l_farley13_l
01-19-2002, 03:17 AM
Nice delination on all those senews and stuff, only crit would be to make him a little more exotic (i think, correct me if I'm wrong, that big hands and feet and alien appearence were required ?) What else do you have planed for us ?

See you,

Farley13

lildragon
01-19-2002, 08:55 AM
I really like this, the proprotions tho a bit off (required for this challenge ;)) still look damn marvelous :) I wish I could use good ole PS this way :)

keep it coming

illustr8rX
01-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys, glad you like it; and yes, you are all correct with your crits...

JT: Thank you, and.. uhm, yeah I kinda forgot about the tail till the last minute, I plan to 'attach' it more realistically-I want it to look like this, but I'll curl it around like it's twitching.

pascal: Wow, thanks, I wish I could draw like Barlowe. Yes, I recycled the head and hands and sword; the body was 5 min. sketch for 'pose' testing, which I tossed and re-did.

|-farley13-|: thanks. Yeah, I thought he looked alien like with no nose, and 3 fingers and toes, etc. but I could expound on it. I enlarged his hands some, I'll work on them and his feet.

tito: thanks. Yeah, I need to 'torque' him up a bit to look right for the challenge.

I'll try to get some stuff done on it this weekend and posted by monday!
-don

Krep Suzeth
01-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Wow ! That's a very very nice drawing ! I just love these characters, between realism and cartoon.
Great !

Krep

illustr8rX
01-30-2002, 12:34 AM
Here is the final version of my pirate. Although the talent in this challenge is overwhelming, I thought I should finish him anyway, to be a good sport. Please take a look, thanks a lot, Don.
http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-544.jpg
http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-545.jpg

illustr8rX
02-01-2002, 09:55 AM
Here's the plan view of the pirate...
http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-563.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.