PDA

View Full Version : Random Computer Crash

Morganism
10-27-2003, 11:34 PM
So, my computer likes to randomly turn itself off. It's never worked perfectly, but this is it's newest little quirk. It's been happening for about a month now, I finally decided to try and do something about it.

So it doesn't seem to be software specific, it will happen in Maya, or IE while I'm browsing the internet, or wherever. It usually seems to happen on an action though, like a mouse click. The screen will go black, and then the computer will restart. After it goes through the disk check and boots Windows again, if I go to the event viewer I see one of two things:

The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp.

or:

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master (name of my housemates computer on the network )

I haven't installed anything new recently that I remember, and I have all the latest Windows Patches.
I'm running an Athlon XP 1900+ on an Asus board with a gig of ram.
Any help?

Morganism
10-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Ah, one more thing. I don't have any anti-virus software, so I haven't checked that option. Does it sound like that might be a good thing to check?

stephen2002
10-28-2003, 02:42 AM
Yes, you should first scan your system for any viruses.

If it is clean then you might have a component overheating, causing it to re-start. Try to get some monitoring software, such as Motherboard Monitor 5, to check your temperatures.

You should also use MemTest or a similar software to check your RAM for errors.

Those two error messages from your event log would not cause the system to re-boot.

t-man152
10-28-2003, 03:00 AM
these quirks are what make your computer special. the more quirks the more character your computer has. LOL

no but seriously a make sure you dont have a heating problem ( may be caused by overclocking, dead fan, dust bunnies) then virus check, check your bios for any voltage control errors. make sure you have a good power supply. it might skip or something. and then if that doesnt work get used to hiting ctrl+s every few minutes. sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Morganism
10-28-2003, 05:46 AM
I agree those event logs don't seem like they should crash a computer, but they're what the log records right before it crashes.
Are there any free virus checking downloads? Years ago I had norton and it seemed to cause more trouble than it solved.
Tempuratures seem to be fine....the only anomoly in that department is that my 12 volt line seems to be running at 13.

these quirks are what make your computer special. the more quirks the more character your computer has.

Then my computer chock full of character. :thumbsup:

quinox
10-28-2003, 06:54 AM
if you run XP, it might be a BSoD, but you don't see it because they have set it on restart when a BSoD happens (no more BSoD in XP, what an idea!)

Start -> Computer -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> uncheck "automatic restart"

Next time you'll see a nice BSoD with information that might help you

stephen2002
10-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by quinox
if you run XP, it might be a BSoD, but you don't see it because they have set it on restart when a BSoD happens (no more BSoD in XP, what an idea!)

I agree with changing the setting however when I first installed XP I also had my system on auto-restart. Keep in mind that it also does a core dump of sorts which takes a moment so at the very least he would see the BSOD for a second; the monitor wouldn't just turn blank and the system re-starts.

Tempuratures seem to be fine....the only anomoly in that department is that my 12 volt line seems to be running at 13.

Do you have a more exact number? Typically the 12V and 5V lines have a tolerance of +/- 5% and the 3.3V line has something around +/- 3%

Morganism
10-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Do you have a more exact number?
It's pretty much exactly 13. (13.056)

I am indeed running XP. I unchecked automatic restart, I'll post an update if it does it again.

t-man152
10-28-2003, 05:13 PM
there is no such thing as "random computer crash". its always when your doing something important and forget to save. LOL
just joking. hope you fix your prob soon. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.