PDA

View Full Version : Critique my painting

Raj2312
06-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Hi All,
Please help me how to proceed on my new painting. This is my first digital painting on my wacom and I dont know what to do to get this showcased on the CG Gallery. I tried posting this and I get a reply saying "this work does not yet meet our standards as a completed piece for the Showcase Gallery". Now I am confused.

If somebody can help me, that would be great help!.

Thanks
Regards
Raj

effilctus
06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
The first thing I notice is the face appears to be much more finished than the rest of the picture. I don't really see anything wrong in that area, I even like how you painted the hair. Her eyes are stunning, the bottom lip seems like it is protruding a bit. I think it needs to blend with the skin a bit more, maybe too much shadow underneath. However I think that the style of it is great. Now the real problem areas. I think that the bust does not look natural to me. That could be just because of the flatness of color in her dress. It could use some more values, maybe a shadow indicating where the bust line ends, if that makes sense. The colors you have at the bottom of the dress could be blended upwards a little more, giving the dress more depth and folds perhaps. As far as the skin goes, you do not have the same amount of colors below the face as you do in the face. Sorry if this is confusing. It seems flat to me in that area too. There should be more values. Maybe you could use some of the surrounding colors blend with her skin to make it not stand out so much. Lastly, the bg is a bit bland. I'm not good with them myself, so maybe some one else could give some suggestions on that. The buildings below her look just like that, as if they are tiny boxes. I do like how you styled the sky, it fits well with the peice. I hope this is some help, it is hard to get these days.

effilctus
06-10-2011, 06:02 PM
another thing i just noticed is her forehead is too large. I would size it down by bringing the hair line down some.

M31
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM
It looks like a nice start! I like her expression. Her forehead does look too large. In usual proportions, the eyes should be about halfway between the chin and the top of the head (not the top of the forehead). I think it would help if you continued working on the values. Right now, it looks a bit flat, the lips appear to be floating over the face, and I think if you continued modeling the values, it would help to integrate them and add dimensionality. (I hope that made sense!)

Also, the background! I like the scribbly bushes (or abstractness) in front. The buildings in the back need more refinement in my opinion. While the figure has been refined, they still appear in a rough concept stage. Perhaps this would be less of a problem if they were not so bright and colorful. In addition to refining the buildings, I would also tone down the colors as they are competing with the figure.

Hope this helps! Good start and hope you keep going! :)

M31
06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Looking at the picture again, I like the yellow of the sky, nice purple/yellow color scheme for the painting, but I might not have it quite so much, perhaps something of a gradient like a sunset.

stuh505
06-11-2011, 02:50 AM
It looks unfinished, and the hot color scheme is clashing with the more realistic color scheme of the girl...making the unfinished background stand out more than the more-finished foreground subject.

The face looks great, except that there is a noticeable "skew," and her eyes also look a little bit glazed.

Her shoulders, arms and chest could use more shading as they look a bit flat.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5580/faceul.jpg

Raj2312
06-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Wow! didn't expect that i will see these many critique for my painting. Thank you all for your support and it definitely make me work more until I get it right.

I hope I can post the wip file again on this forum.

Thanks again!
Raj

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2011, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.