PDA

View Full Version : Second Renaissance

D-3
10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Hello Dear friends, I made a painting based in animatrix, but it would like yours opinion on my painting, not looking how it copies of the animatrix, but the feeling that I tried to pass, I made some things that I found certain in the hour that he was painting.. One of them went to leave the aggressors out of focus, giving a quick impression of not knowing who or because they are attacking, actually I painted three types of characters.. An Asian a Westerner and a black, like this representing the humanity and their races.
The Girl android or wick, this with an agony glance, I worked with the eyes, in the right eye (human) I put the extensive pupil, and the eye cybernetc put the extremely closed pupil, giving like this the death impression... the torn clothes believes that it is to express a lack of value, to expose to the ridicule among other things... it Also includes an image noise to represent that the spectator of such scene doesn't really want to see that...
But I wait criticize them of you that are much more experienced in the subject than me..
thanks to all

Big version (http://www.patrickh.hpg.ig.com.br/wip/animatrix/animatrixbig.jpg)

http://www.patrickh.hpg.com.br/wip/animatrix/animatrixf.jpg

Wongedan
10-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I think your image describe before the second reinassance, because the reinassance at that time, means human struggling against their god at that time ( as we seen on the old paintings) and they create their own believes, on the animatrix movie, the robot tried to against their creator, (human) and create their own creator (01)....

projectcoil
10-28-2003, 12:12 AM
I saw this a while back. I think it conveys the brutality of rape and murder very well. She screams for justice, but is in vain. The out of focused characters breaks the realism a bit. Prehpas a bit less blur. Otherwise it looks great.

MarkSnoswell
10-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Interesting... when painging something that is graphic in a horrific way you need to be caerful that it is done very well or you risk being acused of "sttoping" to shock/horror/sex without any just cause.

Having said that I would have gone for a great deal of detail in an image like this -- a sort of graphic realism... and then I would have blured, darkened ond otherwhise muted the secondary elements.

It's a personal choice -- but you may also want to try covering the breast a little bit -- leaving a hint of the nipple showing. You may find that you avoid a possible critcism of blatant use of sex and horror by doing that. This will also draw the focus on the face more which is where the emotion is being conveyed in an image like this.

Annuostivix
10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
wow, this is definitely very creepy for me. I like that it's full of emotion but I totally wouldn't want to look at it too much, hehe. I only wanted to state that it's scarey. Otherwise, any improvements I can think of have been suggested. Although I'd like to put emphasis on the suggestion of trying to cover the nipple, simply because it's true that a lot of people will have second thoughts about your intetions.

All around, you've done an excellent job, it's really cool. :)

astrofish
10-28-2003, 09:48 AM
FWIW, I've got to disagree with the 'hide the nipple' suggestion on several counts:

1. IMHO, it would make the image considerably weaker than it is now. She is being attacked/killed. The fact that she is visibly exposed is a powerful part of the message about how vulnerable and unprotected she is.

2. Having the 'hint of nipple showing' would, I think, just draw attention to the fact that you're not showing it openly, which then seems artificial or even posed (especially if it's some 'convenient' foreground object that blocks it out).

3. If someone objects to the picture because it has a visible nipple, then I'd ask them why thats so important. She's being attacked, about to be murdered, but somehow the important thing is that nobody sees her flesh. What kind of mentality is that?

So, I'd say either leave it as is (my preference), or if you are going to cover it then cover it completely so it doesn't draw attention to the fact that this is something that you are 'not quite' allowed to see.

The focus of this forum is supposed to be images with emotional impact, and I'd say that this image certainly succeeds.

Cheers - Steve

Garma
10-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Annuostivix
wow, this is definitely very creepy for me. I like that it's full of emotion but I totally wouldn't want to look at it too much, hehe. I only wanted to state that it's scarey.

I got the same feeling and that's no good I guess.. It's just scary. When I create something I want people to stay focused, see new things, look as long as possible. My first reaction was "yech" and skipping it.

But on the other hand, I guess that's what you want so in that case forget my point. Don't understand me wrong, the message in the image is very clear, and I can see this is good work, but maybe just not my style.

mjb2
10-28-2003, 05:20 PM
very scary and provocative. Brutal depiction of the reality of rape.

Per-Anders
10-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by xvampire
I think your image describe before the second reinassance, because the reinassance at that time, means human struggling against their god at that time ( as we seen on the old paintings) and they create their own believes, on the animatrix movie, the robot tried to against their creator, (human) and create their own creator (01)....

renaissance just means "rebirth". it does not mean humans struggling against god. merely the rebirth and revival of the humanitarian arts and the economy (originally within europe and specifically italy), this is not something diametric to religion (which was the major benefactor and beneficiary with regards the arts at this time).

with regards the image. as a peice of fan art it certainly has an emotive aspect, however it's unclear as to whether this is a monster we are seeing and should be afraid of, or a victim. most people here will have seen "the second renaissance" and so will know what scene you are trying to describe, however to someone who's coming at this afresh they won't have those connotations and they would have a hard time working out exactly what is going on here, or why there should be any deeper levels than any other scantily clad goth girl/horror image.

perhaps if the setting weren't just black, but a normal backdrop, buildings, street whatever this would help to take it away from that, and give it more impact on a personal empathetic level.

D-3
10-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Hello.. I am very thankful the all you for the you criticize with this image.... but I also noticed him/it as she inconveniences some for the nude, for the technique of the language that I used and also for the fact of hiding the secondary elements and the scenery....
I believe that when we are suffering some type of physical attack, we didn't stop to see him/it how beautiful it is the atmosphere that in the fence, really on that moment that doesn't matter.. if we are a beautiful park with perfumed flowers or if we are in a dirty and abandoned place.
As the subject of knowing if we should have feather or the girl's hate, if she is innocent or guilty, if her this agonizing or screaming of hate with will of killing, that is not I who he/she angers to say, believe that that of coming of each one that looks at the image...
But I am really very thankful to you for yours criticize, I hope you/they continue expressing their opinions as for this image.. thank you!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.