PDA

View Full Version : keeping uv / texture

TBone2008
06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a model I created in Maya, and Uv'd in Maya then textured it.
if I import it to ZBrush, add geo resolution, and use the clay tool to modify it-
can I export the modified model back to Maya, and still keep/use the uv layout and texture from before I exprt to zbrush ?

ezekiel66
06-08-2011, 08:23 PM
You can export the model in .obj format. UVs will be exported with it.

You probably don't want to export it from ZBrush using the highest subdivision level though, depending on how much geo you actually added. Maya can't handle the extremely high poly counts ZBrush can, so you won't be able to edit the model there comfortably.

TBone2008
06-09-2011, 01:21 AM
I know but I think for this case it's ok as I jsut need a single render of it in Maya.
will it keep the texture and uv info - after I do the changes though ?

ezekiel66
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
will it keep the texture and uv info - after I do the changes though ?

Yes. Depending on how severe the changes are that you make there might be texture distortion though.

If the texture distortion is too strong you can do the following:

- import your model and the texture into ZBrush, assign the texture to your model (select your texture in the Tool -> Texture Map menu)
- subdivide the model to a level that supports the wanted polypaint detail
- click on Tool -> Polypaint -> Polypaint From Texture
(- create a new UV layout using UV Master if necessary)
- fix the texture in the areas that look distorted using Spotlight
- in the Tool -> UV Map menu, select the appropriate UV Map Size
- click on Tool -> Texture Map -> New From Polypaint
- export the new texture and assign it to your model in Maya. Make sure to flip in vertical direction in an image editing program before assigning it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.