PDA

View Full Version : character modelling reel Mike Skowron

skowiak
06-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Hello Guys
Just graduating from 3D Modelling and Animation at Bournemouth University, this is my final piece for the year. Your critiques are extremely appreciated!!

video at youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1CD-Yz1nY)

Thanks!
Mike

CyborgQueen
06-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice!!

I'm assuming that it's not a demo reel right? If you want to use this as a demo reel, I suggest you to take a look at your Demon's right hand. It looks like the wrist shackles went through the arm mesh, it's not completely all around like the other hand. That's the first thing I noticed.

Secondly - not a huge deal, but if you can, change the cuts/open wounds on one of your Demons. They both look exactly the same. If it's stand-alone, it makes sense, but if you have two, it doesn't make sense that they both have exact same flesh wounds, and the exact same facial expression.

Other than that, it's really nice!!! :-) Congrats on graduating!

skowiak
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
CyborgQueen thanks. Nah its not modelling reel, just final piece for the year. Sure will have to tweak few things like you suggested. Thanks!

EdtheHobbit
06-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Just a note on presentation -- it was 20 seconds before we actually got to the content of your reel. This syncs up nicely with the music, but nobody cares about the music. Slim the reel down, and the people reviewing it will thank you.

You really need about five seconds of Name/Contact at the start and end of the reel, and maybe two or three seconds for a title card between major pieces. I've got nothing against blood splatters, but unless that's what you want to get hired for, I recommend leaving it out.

If you don't have any additional content, this demo reel should be about 45 seconds, not 2.5 minutes. Modeling leads look at dozens of these reels every session, and they'll just move on if they don't see something new every few seconds. Get to the point, and move on.

There's nothing wrong with a short reel, either. A lot of the best reels I've seen coming out of schools are under a minute.

EdtheHobbit
06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Just read the other comment -- the above advice applies whenever you DO create a modeling reel! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.