PDA

View Full Version : SWF Decompiler

yakumo
10-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi,

l recently tried a demo for SWF Decompiler and decompiled a swf game file l liked. Anyhow, l have the actionscript and the graphics however, I'm stumped on how to rebuild it. Can anyone please help me do this, or l want is the engine and not the graphics, can someone please help me do this?

Heimdall
10-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Be careful.

There may be copyright issues.

Recopying (or in this case, retyping) someone's copyrighted work is still plagarism.

You might want to email the games creators for permision if you are unsure. Heck, you might as well email them your questions as well.

-Heimdall

Ian Jones
10-29-2003, 01:10 AM
Yeah I agree with Heimdall here.

If you ask them nicely they may provide you with help... if not, then they never intended to let anyone decompile it, so I suggest you back off.

Heimdall
10-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Personally, I hate that decompiler program.

If someone wanted their work posted as an example, they would make the .fla's available.

I can't tell you how many times I have emailed someone a question on how they scripted something.

Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't.

But we gotta respect that.

On a side note,

I showed a web progamer at my Church a website I developed for a client. He thought it was cool (as a programmer, his focus is Pearl Scripting, not graphics development) then declares he has just bought a program that would let him decompile my .swf files into a fla, copy the graphics and scripting, so he can use it on some of his own work.

I explained to him that that is plagarism.

He denied it, stating that anything made in Flash is "open source".

I countered, letting him know that the tools (or program) did not design it, an artist did. Kinda like Leonardo using a Brush to paint. Just because he used a Grumbacher Mink Brush that everyone else uses, does not mean the Mona Lisa is Copyright Free.

Then I let him know, I not only own the rights to my work but I copyright most of it (acutally, Copyright law does not require an artist to register it to own it, but it helps solidify your claim legally). Reselling my work (or anyone elses) is a violation.

He turned red and fumbled about with an excuse that he "woulda changed the graphics".

Which I again let him know that Copyright Law is still violated even if you change 99% of the look (the law actually uses a 99.99% figure).

Sometimes I think people are just idiots.

Either that or Programers (who mostly suffer from caffiene fueled tunnel vision), think that the rules don't apply them when they are on the web.

Sorry about the rant, I just had to vent. I'm sure we have all gone thru this before.

And I also don't mean to insult ALL programmers, just the ones who can't design, then steal Creative work and sell it.

-Heimdall

yakumo
11-01-2003, 03:47 PM
well how do l approach making typing of the dead for flash then via OOP??

Hilly
11-01-2003, 11:10 PM
I really wish they made Flash more secure. Making any type of internetbased flash application is very dangerous beacause of the fact that the code is so easy to decompile.

Ian Jones
11-02-2003, 01:07 AM
What exactly is "typing of the dead " ? can you post a link plz?

slayerment
11-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Decompiling is theft and well not teach you the knowledge, it will only show you. Do yourself and the economy a favor - go out, buy a book, and learn it.

yakumo
11-02-2003, 05:14 PM
okay okay, l won't decompile, l only wanted to understand how it worked since noone knew.

here's alink what l want to do:

http://www.empireinteractive.com/TTOD/

Ian Jones
11-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Have you ever made a game in flash yet?

You have to start simple and then build up. Check out the tutorials at this site:

gotoandplay() (http://www.gotoandplay.it/)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.