PDA

View Full Version : E3 2011 - Nintendo Thread

SheepFactory
06-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Please post all Nintendo game news in this thread.

DuttyFoot
06-07-2011, 02:16 AM
damn you nintendo, I'm still waiting for that 3ds update.

Geta-Ve
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
With the insanely lack-luster showing from Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo should have no issues cleaning up for the second year in a row.

DuttyFoot
06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
so the 3ds shop is now up and excite bike is a free download. the update wasn't available until midnight last night. i am looking forward to specs of the wii2 or project cafe as they call it

live coverage from kotaku here

http://kotaku.com/5809435/live-at-nintendos-next-wii-unveiling

based on what they showed on the new wiiu controller nintendo is the winner of e3 again

Venkman
06-07-2011, 06:03 PM
That Wii U is freaking weird. Nintendo brought the thunder and it's something people will actually talk about. We'll see if the games back up the promises Nintendo is making right now.

It will be totally different, again. It looks to have more staying power than waggling a controller!

Geta-Ve
06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Wow, I didn't think it was possible, but all 3 companies completely bombed this year... The Wii U controller is downright atrocious. :argh:

Thank god for the WWDC.

popol
06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
i really dont understand nintendo :curious:

http://kotaku.com/5809482/the-is-the-first-picture-of-nintendos-new-console-the-wii-u

SheepFactory
06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Wow, I didn't think it was possible, but all 3 companies completely bombed this year... The Wii U controller is downright atrocious. :argh:

Thank god for the WWDC.

Uh what? How is sony releasing a next gen portable with oled screen for $249 = sony bombing?

DuttyFoot
06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
i really dont understand nintendo :curious:

are you talking about how the system looks because no specs were released as yet

cresshead
06-07-2011, 07:09 PM
i think we should applaud nintendo for trying new ideas out..the base unit is now capable of HD graphics and detailed scenes which is nice for us mario kart and zelda fans and the new controller/tablet thingy is offering some interesting capabilities.

as always all depends on the games and nintendo make great games.

controller

[CENTER]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2011/6/7/1307465206581/Wii-U-007.jpg

Venkman
06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
A lot of debbie downers in the E3 threads this year. I've seen things from every press conference I'm excited about. :)

Geta-Ve
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Uh what? How is sony releasing a next gen portable with oled screen for $249 = sony bombing?

Because we have already known about the new (ridiculously named) Vita for a long time now. Their emphasis on gaming has dwindled considerably. If I wanted the social networking aspects in my gaming peripheral I would buy an iPhone... Oh wait, I already have one.

What I want from the PSP2 is insane graphical fidelity. That is it. I don't need a rear touch panel or 3G capabilities. Sony seems to be playing catch up with Nintendo and Apple.

Nintendo has a motion controller? We need one too! But better-ish!
Apple has a multitouch screen? Well we need one too! But make the back of the device multitouch as well! That'll show 'em.
What? Everyone else has social networking aspects? Well lets jump on the bandwagon!

Such a disappointment. Though, the device is very sexy.

CHRiTTeR
06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
That controller is some powerfull stuff, it goes fat beyond gaming! Again, a smart move from nintendo!

popol
06-07-2011, 07:55 PM
are you talking about how the system looks because no specs were released as yet

Idon't understant why nintendo show a "revolutionary " controller for the wiiu but not the system in the same conference.

cookepuss
06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I can't say without seeing the specs, but the WiiU controller doesn't look as big as some people have complained. Honestly, the screen is only an inch bigger (diagonally) than the new Sony Vita portable. At most, with buttons, it's around the size of an iPad. If that's too big for you then you sorta have to blame Apple for setting the "bad" precedent. Personally, I think that it'll be very comfortable in your hand. I also can't imagine that Nintendo would have it weigh much more than the already beefy 3DS.

Based on the demo video of the controller, I'm rather excited about what Nintendo is offering here. We know what touch brings to the table when it comes to gaming. Nintendo primed us for this sort of experience 7 years ago with the first DS. As a fusion of experiences, I think that it opens more doors than it closes. You've got a classic controller built in with a touch screen, which is itself built in with waggle. It's a damn crazy looking controller, but so was the NES one when it first came out.

I only have 4 concerns.

1. How much will it cost to replace? After all, controllers break or you may want to add on a 2nd or 3rd controller for multiplayer gaming. If replacing this thing is too expensive, Nintendo is in pretty deep crap. Too expensive and they also eff over the 3rd party controller market.

2. What's the charge life on the controller? Without S3D, I can imagine that it'd be somewhere between the healthy charge of the DSi and the less impressive 3DS charge.

3. How many controllers does it come with? Shipping with one wouldn't be unprecedented, but it would be crazy if the controller costs $150 to replace.

4. Having watched the "sizzle" reel, I didn't see much of that aforementioned sizzle. Ninja Gaiden looked nice, but probably not better than what you can do on the PS3. Everything else looked... adequate. Don't get me wrong. It's all a noticeable step up from the current Wii. However, it's that same visual leap that Nintendo made from DSi to 3DS. Nintendo should've been thinking of a leap that was somewhere along the lines for DSi to Sony Vita. Nintendo needed a much bigger jump in GPU power.

It's a break even situation for Nintendo. On the one hand, they possibly have another controller breakthrough here, one that competitors will no doubt copy. On the other hand, Nintendo has place themselves in the same position that Microsoft did when they first launched the XBox prior to the PS2. The WiiU might look pretty sweet now, but by the time the PS4 comes out in a couple of years, the WiiU is going to look positively ancient.

If PS4 comes out in 2 years then Nintendo will have to refresh in 3 or 4. They're backing themselves into a corner by not targeting the absolute hardcore, when it comes to hardware. It's nice that they're focusing on the controller, as that's what affects the gameplay experience, but they haven't nearly given equal attention to the innards of the hardware. At least they haven't demonstrated that they have.

To me, Nintendo didn't bomb, but they didn't win either.

Personally, I'm more impressed by what they showed for the 3DS. Luigi's Mansion alone will have me smiling for days. I've still got that tune from the first game stuck in my head, the one Luigi himself hums over and over.

BTW.... WTF was Metroid? Nintendo barely teased at the new Mario 3DS and barely showed stuff about the previously announced Zelda. No Metroid? Nintendo dropped the ball when it came to showing love for their core franchises this year. Again, I hope that's not the case and that we see some more cool stuff on IGN, but the press conference didn't even hint at big games coming from the BigN. Disappointing.

cookepuss
06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Idon't understant why nintendo show a "revolutionary " controller for the wiiu but not the system in the same conference.
Nintendo showed the system. They just didn't highlight it as much as the controller. Go to Gizmodo for a pic of the system. It looks like the love child of the Wii and the XBox360. Ah... Let me save you the trouble.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2011/06/medium_medium_new_nintendo_console_detail_01.jpg

cookepuss
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
BTW, if you guys have a 3DS, go to the new eShop. Apart from the Excitebike & Pokedex freebie, they just added E3 trailers for 3DS games. You can't appreciate the S3D over the web. Get the vids on the 3DS if you've got the chance. Great stuff. The new Super Mario 3DS trailer alone looks amazing. They're really using S3D to spectacular effect here. Looks like a true successor to Super Mario 64. Downloading the rest right now.

heavyness
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Anyone find it weird they didn't mention the new box that is the WiiU? I was so confused thinking this worked with the current Wii.

Either way, I'm on the fence about this one. Lots of cool things can come out of it but I'm also wondering what the price tag is. Of course, all the Nintendo games looks great. Maybe I'll walk down the street to Nintendo and see if they're hiring so I can get cheaper :)

DuttyFoot
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I can't say without seeing the specs, but the WiiU controller doesn't look as big as some people have complained.

so true, i remember seeing the playbook and galaxy tab for the first time and they look so small, but the pics online make the 7inch size look bigger than it really is.

cresshead
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
nintendo have vids up now

http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/all/HW_demo

SciFibrow
06-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Wii U - every controller is a viewer. Looks like the world's first Virtual Reality system to me. :)

Sure they didn't emphasise that as the main thing (because the anti-vr trolls will go NUTS), but if you can swing it around and view the scene you're in then perhaps one of those cheap stereoscopic viewers you slot the Iphone into could be given a strap and there you have it! Okay VR is more complex than that, but I'm curious.. perhaps it could be done?

I don't think it's a coincidence the new Mario 3DS game and Zelda have the same "viewing" feature. Nintendo marketing ahead of time, getting us into the idea.

richcz3
06-08-2011, 06:08 AM
At E3 in the Nintendo highlights the controller over the system as well. In a display, the controller sits prominently on a table alongside Wii controllers. Even though the Wii U cant be seen, there is a video montage of what the Wii U can render and that was pretty impressive. And none of it was Mario/Donkey Kong/Zelda.

I was interested in giving the controller a go until they said it was a 2 hour wait in line

heavyness
06-08-2011, 06:33 AM
At E3 in the Nintendo highlights the controller over the system as well. In a display, the controller sits prominently on a table alongside Wii controllers. Even though the Wii U cant be seen, there is a video montage of what the Wii U can render and that was pretty impressive. And none of it was Mario/Donkey Kong/Zelda.

I was interested in giving the controller a go until they said it was a 2 hour wait in line

Actually, the footage of the third party games they showed off was not running on their hardware...
http://kotaku.com/5809744/nintendo-used-360-ps3--pc-game-footage-in-its-wii-u-demo-reel

DuttyFoot
06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Actually, the footage of the third party games they showed off was not running on their hardware...
http://kotaku.com/5809744/nintendo-...wii-u-demo-reel (http://kotaku.com/5809744/nintendo-used-360-ps3--pc-game-footage-in-its-wii-u-demo-reel)

to be honest when i saw the third party games coming to the wiiu i was excited because now you would be able to play games like battlefield 3 on the wii u. i didn't think that the third party games being shown were from the wii u

heavyness
06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
to be honest when i saw the third party games coming to the wiiu i was excited because now you would be able to play games like battlefield 3 on the wii u. i didn't think that the third party games being shown were from the wii u

No, neither did I. But, that also means 3rd parties only have a year to make games for it, and Nintendo was just showing game demos, not real games. So this makes me think the launch line-up might be lacking.

Laa-Yosh
06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Apparently the system supports only one tablet controller per machine, so no extra multiplayer fun is possible.

DrFx
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
It looks like the love child of the Wii and the XBox360.
I couldn't agree more.
I seem to be the only one unimpressed by the cherry flower demo. It really looks only marginally better than what a PS3 could do. I think Nintendo is releasing a current gen box 5 years late, hardware-wise. Of course, if they can take advantage of the unique controller and game design know-how, they can release awesome games that will sell the console.

DuttyFoot
06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
So this makes me think the launch line-up might be lacking.

i hope not because that would be really disappointing.

Apparently the system supports only one tablet controller per machine, so no extra multiplayer fun is possible.

i wonder what the cost of the extra one will be. does anyone know of the exact specs of the wii u console.

I seem to be the only one unimpressed by the cherry flower demo. It really looks only marginally better than what a PS3 could do. I think Nintendo is releasing a current gen box 5 years late, hardware-wise. Of course, if they can take advantage of the unique controller and game design know-how, they can release awesome games that will sell the console.

people were upset they didn't do hd for the wii and they still did pretty good overall, hopefully this upgrade will do the same for them.

CHRiTTeR
06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Since their console again appears to be based on 'previous gen' technologie, then the line-up wont be such a big problem except for the controller maybe, but i think thats less problematic than developping for new gpu's/cpu's.

richcz3
06-10-2011, 01:58 AM
I asked and was told the old Wii controllers will work on the new system. I think the sell - if not hard sell, is going to get publishers to integrate the LCD into Wii U games. Until final specs of the U are released, its a all guessing on how good the rendering will be. Whatever the case, Nintendo may have 2 or 3 years free to compete.

SciFibrow
06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Wii U Virtual Reality, case in point :) :

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/gameplay-of-upcoming-wii-u-shooter-killer-freaks-from-outer-space/

Unbelievable. :)

godo1
06-13-2011, 12:20 AM
That controller is some powerfull stuff, it goes fat beyond gaming! Again, a smart move from nintendo!

Agree with you!

DuttyFoot
06-13-2011, 12:25 AM

when they showed the demo video for the wiiU i couldn't stop smiling because what they showed was so unexpected. talk about another game changer for consoles :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2011, 12:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.