PDA

View Full Version : skin modifier + turbosmooth

zacleck
06-05-2011, 02:00 AM
Every now and then I'll be working on a project with a character rig, and when I put a turbosmooth on top of the stack for rendering, the skin will pretty much tear apart for those added verts, but only on random frames. Sometimes I can get rid of it by deleting the turbosmooth and putting a new one on the stack, but then it'll shred the mesh at some other point in the animation. I've had this happen once before and found that leaving isoline display off helped, but it's not on this time, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Has anyone else had this problem who knows how to fix it?

Zac.

scrimski
06-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Post a screenshot of your stack. You may also use MeshSmooth

PEN
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Very odd, I have never seen this happen. I would love to see the screen grabs of the problem and the stack.

zacleck
06-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I'll post a screen grab when I get home later tonight. I haven't tried a mesh smooth yet. If I had to describe it I would say that it looks like the verts added by the turbosmooth are being ignored by the skin, even though it's happening at the top of the stack.

One thing I forgot to mention that I just now realized, in both instances that this has happened to me there was a hair and fur modifier on the stack.

For the current scene the stack goes;

turbosmooth
hair and fur
skin
morpher
editable poly

jeb
06-08-2011, 08:43 PM
do you by any chance have nurm subdivision turned on inside the edit poly level? because edit poly has its own "meshsmooth" inside it and it can be set to be active on render and not viewports.

so if this is the case.. you are skinning your model correctly on the base edit poly level, BUT at render time you have subdivision below the stack and that's an error because skin cant compensate for that.

PePeTD
06-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Have you tried using mesh smooth instead ( I know it is not optimal but it might fix it ).

Another thing you can try is save the skin weights and then reset your model, collapse-it to Editable poly and reset the X-form. Once all that is done re-apply the skin and load the skin weights I remember back at Red Rover I had meshes explode on me randomly and sometimes this solution helped.

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2011, 02:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.