PDA

View Full Version : Combustion Color Corrector?

darthmahon
10-27-2003, 12:06 PM
I was browsing these forums the other day when I stumbled upon something that made me think wow, how cool is that.

Anyway, I found the following image:

http://scifi3d.theforce.net/forums/coruscant_close4b.jpg

Had been transformed into the following using Discreet Combustion.

http://scifi3d.theforce.net/forums/coruscant_close_combtest01.jpg

So I went and downloaded the demo version of combustion just to see if it could make a bland flat image so bright and interesting.

So I started playing around with the Color Corrector as I assumed this is where I would have to play around to get similar results. I changed some of the settings and also added a glow which gave it this similar effect, but it really wasn't the same.

The post where these images are from mentioned something about highlights in combustion, so I played around with those but it still doesn't look right. Is it simply a matter of color correction or is there more to it to acheive the same result?

I read the combustion tutorials but none really brushed on what I wanted to know.

The white windows are the main problem. Mine stay the same, small little white blobs when I put a glow and color correct, but I want the windows to blend together and give it a nice glow.

Any ideas on which settings I should play with?

Thanks,
Chris

Alfred_Newman
10-27-2003, 12:50 PM
You should color correct in layers to achieve that. Try masking areas from midtones to highlights.

darthmahon
10-27-2003, 01:07 PM
I think I know what you meant by masking but not sure what you meant by "from midtones to highlights"? Sorry :hmm:

Masking had crossed my mind but I figured that would be quite a long process, especially if the subject(building) is moving and could cause some issues between the different layers.

Can you explain a bit more exactly what midtones and highlights alter? What aspect of the image will change depending on what settings I change for midtones, and the same for highlights.

I've tried the master settings, but they are a very general am I correct?

Jayk2k
10-27-2003, 03:14 PM
You should be able to pull a luma key on the windows and apply that as the mask for the color correction. Set it up to effect from the mid tones to the highlights.

It's always best to try and do things procedurally. Luma keys, trackers, etc, all make things easier when the footage moves.

darthmahon
10-27-2003, 07:50 PM
really sorry but is there any chance you could explain the process a bit more?

This is how I've done it.

I've started a new composition, imported the image. I then created a new layer and pasted the image into that layer as well.

From here I don't understand what I am supposed to do.

I tried using the Linear Key tool but what Key Color do I select? The colour of the windows or something else?

Also, how do I apply an operator to a mask?

Thanks for your help so far :)

Chris

Jayk2k
10-28-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't really know, as I'm a DF user myself, which is node based, and easier for someone like me to understand... ;)

Hopefully someone versed in Combustion can help you out... Beaker?

Jack Pfeiffer
10-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi.,..

I kinda answered this over at the COW... But, for those who only look here, here it is again: There are lots of ways to do this...

Example 1) Under the paint tools use a "Selection" to pick the windows/highlights. Then, appy and operator to the selection.

Example 2) Pull a matte, use an area selection, apply effect to matte.

There are other users at the COW who suggested and noted the following:

-One thing you may want to consider is that both of these images are compressed for the web as JPEGs. Was the original image that was edited in JPG format, or was it an "original" that did not have the compression already? The original image that they were working with may have had a lot more color information and may have been a higher resolution than the one you downloaded to play with-

- First you can add a discreet color corrector operator to the image. Then go into the histogram and pull the right most slider (which is called the white input) down to the top of the image information. Then drop the center gamma down a bit. This alone can add more depth to the image by reducing contrast a bit and pulling out a bit more detail in the blacks. Next duplicate the layer and mask the area that needs more manipulation. Give the masks a decent amount of feather and then use the histogram again to brighten up these areas. Next you can nest the layer and add glow to the nest.
This is but the tip of the iceberg in Color Correction... Just consider how powerful this appilcation can be, with addes masks, adjusted shadows, highlights etc. All told, you can really do wonders to an sequence.

-Select your image/ then apply a Color Corrector/ You can select the Range of highlights in you image by Clicking on "Ranges" and then on highlights ( this will show you the range of tones in this area, and then pulling in the curves to control the range. This way you can select the brightest highlights and introduce a larger tonal range.

-Lastly, Try duplicating the layer and blurring it between 5-10 pixels. Then go to the surface panel (layers panel in 2D composite) and change the transfer mode. Try any of screen, add, overlay, hard light, soft light for various effects. Dial down the opacity to reduce the effect. Experiment with different amounts of blur and various colour correction settings. You should get something close to what you're after.

end of summaries..

Keep Combustin'

jack

dg
10-28-2003, 12:13 PM
You could also paint the highlights using a white brush set to screen mode, in the very same way you would do in Photoshop, works as well, and ajusting it's opacity you can control the intensity of the highlight.

Cheers!

Almost forgot, make sure that your brush is set to "Reveal > Current" and don't change the off-set.

Now I'm really gone :)
See ya!

PiXeL_MoNKeY
10-28-2003, 11:32 PM
There is also the technique displayed on the linked image. It uses multiple layers of the original altered to help brighten the image and give a nice specular bloom. http://www.etereaestudios.com/worksweb/spanish_breakfast/almuerzo_postp.jpg

lazzhar
10-30-2003, 11:17 PM
And also that picture needs some Equalisation, here is an exlent technique described by the known 3d artist Jeremy Birn:
http://www.3drender.com/light/EqTutorial/index.htm
He is using Photoshop but it's very easy to do similar process in other application including Combustion.

Tocy
11-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with the others: this effect absolutely not depending on software, even this one is done with C*. It could be done with photoshop, digitalfusion, shake, AE...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.