PDA

View Full Version : difference between renderman libs?

M-J
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
hello,

got a question for some renderman folks: :-)

as far as i understand every renderman compliant renderer provides a library for creating rib-files, right? are there any differences between these libraries say between PRMan and 3delight? i mean do they all implement EVERY api function of the renderman interface? and the output is the same for both?

thanks in advance

mj

stew
10-28-2003, 11:40 PM
I haven't used the RenderMan C API yet (only cgkit for Python), so I can't answer everything in your question, except one:
i mean do they all implement EVERY api function of the renderman interface?
No, not every function. The RiSpec3.2 document distinguishes in Chapter 1.1 between required features and advanced features. For example, not every renderer is a raytracer, so you cannot rely on the presence of working implementations of trace() or gather(). REYES-typical features like motion blur and depth of field are also examples of such advanced features.

M-J
10-29-2003, 10:30 AM
what i actually meant was if one could use say the prman RIB library librib.lib with another renderer say air, 3delight,...? i know that this is propably nonsense since every renderer provides such a library but i'm just being curious :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.