PDA

View Full Version : Core Skills of VFX Handbook

dneg
06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Skillset, the UK media sector training council, in conjunction with UK VFX houses has published The Core Skills of VFX Handbook. The document has been produced after a lengthy consultation with industry, outlining the skills that UK VFX houses are looking for. It's also a great resource for educators, giving guidance on what's relevant and what isn't for an effective VFX education.

Check out the link to download the PDF

http://www.skillset.org/animation/qualifications/article_8377_1.asp

About Skillset

http://www.skillset.org/skillset/

leigh
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
A friend of mine just posted this on Facebook and I was having a read through and came here to post it, only to find you'd beaten me to the punch :-)

Definitely a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the field.

lbelerique
06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the heads-up, the ebook looks great, from what I read so far, looks an amazing guide to point new (and not so new) folk in the right direction and great guidelines for the instructors :) :buttrock:

mustique
06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
yep, that's a decent chunk of knowledge for people seeking out a career in this field.
A must read.

dneg
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
It's taken a while and relentless lobbying from trade bodies, but the UK government is beginning to take the UK games and VFX industries quite seriously - this handbook is part of that.

It would have been great to have had something like this when I was a teenager, if only to be able to show it to my parents to reassure them that real careers existed within the field (though obviously those careers would have been quite different 25+ years ago).

RobertoOrtiz
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Wow thanks for sharing!

Crotalis
06-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Just skimmed the PDF on my lunch break. So far it seems like the perfect answer to all of the "Where do I start?" threads. Maybe it could be "stickied" somewhere? Thanks for posting!

opentarget
06-02-2011, 05:03 PM
thats a great looking book.
uploaded straight to my e-reader for the bus trip home.
thanks for posting.

Artbot
06-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Just skimmed this and it looks to be an awesome reference. Really needs to be stickied somewhere.

Syndicate
06-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Fantastic stuff!

Very good resource. I frequently do(teach) masterclasses and I find that if Lecturers were given this instead of those ridiculously outdated/impractical/unorganised lesson plans, we would see quite a few more talented(capable) individuals. Most VFX schools try to pump out generalists because the job placement rate is higher... and seriously, aside from Gnomon, VFS and Animation Mentor I dont believe students go straight from study into work without at least doing a year or two of freelance (and paying off study debt).

What I really think VFX students need is something like a classical art school, or something that steps way back from the technological wrapper and study things like painting, photography, sculpting etc because the most important thing (in my observations) is to "learn to think" like an artist. Its just not good enough to learn the tools by following tutorials and doing things like "make a walkcycle" and stick it in your showreel.

They have the luxury of the "make look good" button but they dont understand "why" it looks good.

Students drop out because they believe they will never catch up with all the tools/technology. The truth is that a solid grounding in art can be the difference between memorising a textbook and using a search tool when its needed. I guess what I'm trying to put across is that a VFX artist needs to know so many tools/techniques as well as learn them at an exponential rate... that the mind needs to have some sort of framework to handle it all.

Anyway its beer-o-clock, time to wash away what I learnt today.

Cant believe this pdf is free!!

:D

Vollands
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
This is a terrific resource, I've skimmed through it and will definitely read it in depth.

Well done and thank you Skillset.

TheRazorsEdge
06-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks a lot for pointing us to it. :)

Cheers!

Ktread20
06-05-2011, 03:28 AM
What an outstanding guide!

This is a real road-map for those of us who are learning on our own; we usually have to piece together our knowledge from vastly different books and online tutorials - this provides a great unifying structure!

boomji
06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Super !

Thanks Paul

b

godo1
06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.