PDA

View Full Version : Dificult one...I guess...

Viper
06-06-2002, 05:38 AM
Ok, I use MAX 4.0 with Brazil...

I am going to work on a scene that has lots of stuff. Before I work on a scene I try to see if I can do all the meshes in it, and all textures...

Well, I ran into 2 problems...One is wood. Using the wood textures that come with MAx is bad cause they are limited and low res. And the Procedural Wood that MAX has ****s...Any sugestions on this one?

Another one is that I need to make a candle. I have a pretty distant Idea of how I'll make the materials for it...But, I am not sure if it's the best way...How would you guys make it?

And please, don't prive yourself to post if you use other programs....any sugestions are welcome :)

leigh
06-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Well, if you are wanting to use photographs as a base (and yeah I'm SICK TO DEATH of seeing cedarfence.jpg everywhere - why do people still use it??!!), then why not just get references from somewhere else, or take photos of your own?
There's nothing stopping you from doing that.
And yeah, wood procs are notoriously crap too, so when doing wood, always use photos or paint your own maps.
As far as a candle goes - I think with Max, the best thing to do is make a ray trace material with gradients and such - making it more translucent at the top, closer to the flame where it has become thinner (the wax).
I'm always surprised to read posts like this though - the best way to go about things is to get your own references - get a candle and copy it's look. It doesn't take long if you know how surface settings work, and you won't learn until you try them either.
And there is nothing wrong with a bit of old fashioned running around with a camera taking pictures of everything.
:)

Viper
06-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Indeed, I'll see If I can dig a Digital Camera to take the images :)

As for the candle, I believe some falloff maps for making it translucense will do the trick....

Thanks for the tips :)

leigh
06-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Yeah that'll work indeed :thumbsup:
Post some renders when you have some :)

Viper
06-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Yeah, thanks :)

I'll post pics as soon as I get it right :)

And I've been looking some wood around, and it might be not so hard to paint them in Photoshop....It's for a table top anyway :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.