PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2012 Hotfix 2

mercuito
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Hotfix 2 for Maya 2012 is out - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17137651&linkID=9242259

General updates
Mental ray Satellite update
Maya 2012 now includes four mental ray Satellite network rendering licenses, which allows you to freely use up to four slave machines (with up to four processors each and an unlimited number of cores) for mental ray network rendering.

Batch render target rendering support (Bug #380520)
Batch render target rendering is not supported for more than one renderable camera.

Notes and workarounds
Torn‐off Recent commands menu doesn't update (Bugs #198732, #380317)
Workaround: Donít tear‐off the menu, always use it directly from the hotbox.
Hotbox freezes (Bug #345838)
Workaround: Press spacebar to close the Hotbox.

Whatís Fixed?
374184 - Goal issue when using a straight curve
380975 - Load render pass doesn't work when project is on network share
381943 - Shadow artifacts occurs with large differences in object size
382170 - Connecting luminance node to bump channel of mental ray shader causescrash
382221 - UNC path bookmarks are not saved in new filebrowser
382758 - Final gather map visualization not working
384017 - Painting blendshapes problems
384043 - Wacom tablet not working correctly in mouse mode
384291 - dagContainer collapses at every DAGoperation
384302 - Unpredictable results referencing HIK characters
384314 - Creating Framebuffer with a Geometry shader causes a crash
384392 - Joint orient channels not accepting setAttr correctly
384523 - Graph editor:cannotview multiple f‐curves on a character set
385368 - Polysplit crash
385417 - Metacarpal fingers not created when creating HIK control rig
385873 - Pinning an effector is causing the pivot display to jump
380473 - Missing manipulator handles in perspective view
375080 - Adaptivesampling gives lower shading quality in framebuffers
380236 - mia_material_x preset 'Satined Metal' renders differently
380322 - Scenes with dense final gather settings may have longer render time
380847 - Render with mental ray errors with multi‐shape polygons
382154 - HIK: Shift+LMBdoes not allow for selection of keys on timeline if HIK in scene
383833 - New option in move tool broken

tkdmatt
05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
This looks like it will fix your 2012 render passes issue.

mercuito
05-31-2011, 10:10 PM
This looks like it will fix your 2012 render passes issue.

It does indeed! :thumbsup:

Horganovski
05-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Great, thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,
Brian

Bitter
05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
This version may also fix problems not in the release notes with regard to rendering.

Already noticed it seems to fix my NaN issue with BSDF transparency. It may also fix the FG rebuild issue and maybe the area light high samples. Not sure yet.

cgbeige
06-01-2011, 05:09 AM
I don't think it's mentioned but it fixes the OS native dialogs crash if they are called from a MEL command.

tonytouch
06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
great to hear , there are actually more things fixed , than listed !

lostparanoia
06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Does anybody know if they fixed the problem with missing render nodes when opening scenes made in older versions?

m0z
06-01-2011, 09:49 AM
the render view bug still exists....

// Error: setParent: Object 'renderView' not found.

everytime I open a scene directly instead of opening Maya and THEN loading a scene. :surprised

TheRazorsEdge
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Cheers!

tonytouch
06-03-2011, 08:39 AM
hm , my wacom mouse still does not work ( intuos4 ) ;(

----
and yesterday , i tried , one of my old rigs from maya2010 , and something did not work - i can#T troubleshoot why ( no time and no possibility to post screenshots / the rig just worked proper , when i make one of my donttouch-groups in my rig visible ... once i make it visible and directly hide it again , the rig works / quite a strange thing , but well ...ok , lets wait for the next HF ) . hopefully everything will be working again in the the next sevice pack then .

----

keep on fixing AD :)

warnold
06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
what doesn't work for your wacom in mouse mode ?

tonytouch
06-03-2011, 10:36 PM
same thing happens , that used to happen prior to HF2 in the official m2012 release version. once i try to click on any button , shelf or menu-item , nothing happens . well anyway , i dont really use my wacom mouse anylonger .... so personally i dont care about it any more - i just use my old regular USB mouse in the meanwhile .

but once i read , in the HF2-release-notes , wacom mouse now is supported , i tried it again , and well , nothing really changed from my wacom-mouse experience in the initial maya2012 release . it only works , in PEN_mode , but that it is unusable for me.

( btw... win7 64 bit )

SheepFactory
06-04-2011, 12:34 AM
That's probably why I have never noticed anything because I only use the pen. Hope they fix your problem in the next hotfix. It seems they are releasing these fast.

warnold
06-04-2011, 01:59 AM
there is Qt bug with the tablet mouse mode - picking the wrong screen location when the button is pressed. there was a workaround that appeared to work in all cases that I tried, I wonder if the QtGui4.dll really got updated in the incremental install.

WesHowe
06-04-2011, 03:20 AM
The file stamp on all the Qt*.dll files here (HF 2) is 3/10/2011.
Contrast that with Ptex.dll, for instance, with a date of 5/20/2011.

<* Wes *>

tonytouch
06-13-2011, 07:40 AM
didn't touch maya2012 so often , until last week . before , i was just occasionally trying out some of the new features ( now with HotFix2 i thought , i will use it from now on .... )

but using it in daily-life in practise , for one week now - i am sure to stick with maya2011 until these problems get solved .

i started a new rigging-script ... using maya2012 . and I am having very annoying delays of about half a second or one second , when trying to select things in my viewport . ( like the controlCurves of my Rigs ) . you see , i am a fast-clicker , and i am used to working very fast , and this "selection-delay" really slows out my entire workflow . i remember , i had these selection-delays also in the initial maya2012 release , and not i hoped these delays vanished - but didn't

so for now , i will jump back to maya2011 again - as maya2011 SP1 works very well for me .

-------------
win7 / 64bit / 8GB / GFX275
(it happens in viewport2 as well as in the regular viewport)

TheRazorsEdge
06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Jeez, this sounds like the usual pattern of unusable releases will continue on forever. Personally, I'm still working in Maya 2009, touching 2012 only for things not available in 2009. That is, if they do work properly at all. lol

Cheers!

Horganovski
06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I've been animating a good bit in 2012 recently and haven't had any issues with selecting objects in the viewport (Win 7 64). Possibly you have a graphics driver issue if you do? I've seen that happen in other programs.

The only UI bug I get on a regular basis is the attribute manager sometimes refusing to allow numerical entry, if I copy the tab the copy always lets me work with it though, just not the one docked in the interface sometimes.

Cheers,
Brian

InfernalDarkness
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Jeez, this sounds like the usual pattern of unusable releases will continue on forever. Personally, I'm still working in Maya 2009, touching 2012 only for things not available in 2009. That is, if they do work properly at all. lol

I'm stuck with 2009 myself, no complaints about it really that I haven't figured out how to work around over the years. Is Maya 2012's Viewport 2, then, not a great feature? Not an upgrade worth having for you? I suppose that would depend more on what people need to see in the viewports for any particular mission or project...

What's a workable poly-count in Viewport 2.0 these days? Are people able to manipulate millions of polys with a decent framerate generally, or is this just never going to happen?

djx
06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes. I have also been using 2012 on win 7 64, modeling and animating without any of these selection issues. In fact I've found it to be an improvement on 2011, both in terms of speed and reliability.
However what made a huge difference was switching from a quadro fx5500 (not certified) to a 4800 (certified). I guess it sometimes pays to check those lists after all.

What's a workable poly-count in Viewport 2.0 these days? Are people able to manipulate millions of polys with a decent framerate generally, or is this just never going to happen?
I have not used it extensively, but it does seem pretty fast. Certainly ok with a couple of million polys. More than that I cant say, since I haven't tried it yet. It is not supported on all cards though. This was my main reason for the 5500 to 4800 switch. Glad I did too. :)

David

tonytouch
06-14-2011, 07:11 AM

well i have actually used maya2011 in my last job , and with SP1 it was not more buggy than maya2010 or 2009 - ok , except a few minor issues , but with its benefits as well ( e.g. quaternion-skincluster and "post"-skinning ) . i really like maya2011 and maya2012 - but again , there are still quite a few bugs in Hotfix2 as it seems . hopefully there will be some more hotfixes , before AD releases a final SP .

I've been animating a good bit in 2012 recently and haven't had any issues with selecting objects in the viewport (Win 7 64). Possibly you have a graphics driver issue if you do? I've seen that happen in other programs.

i will doublecheck that ! but since win7 lately did an update on the graphic driver , i think, i got the latest driver . but lets see , maybe "the latest driver is not the right one" .

The only UI bug I get on a regular basis is the attribute manager sometimes refusing to allow numerical entry, if I copy the tab the copy always lets me work with it though, just not the one docked in the interface sometimes.

well, for me , sometimes the rollout-menus in the attribute editor , dont work - once i click on e.g. "Transform Attributes" it won't collapse or open - then i need to switch around , channel-editor , or open up different windows , until finally the attribute-editor is functioning again . it does not happen often , but it happened about 5 times in 10 days ( but i was actually not using maya24/7 during these 10 days )

tonytouch
06-14-2011, 07:16 AM
btw. the selection-lag is not there from the start ( when i start maya ) , seems to be just an issue that occurs ( on my computer ) when i have a long-maya-session .

well , i guess ,next time , it happens , i just exit and restart maya .

jipe
06-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Can anyone else confirm that the 2d Pan/Zoom tools for the camera are completely broken in Hotfix 2? They were working fine in the initial release of 2012, but I updated this morning and now they don't do anything (if you have resolution gate turned on, you can see the gate moving around, but the actual view doesn't pan/zoom which makes it entirely useless).

SePu
06-14-2011, 06:46 PM
yep it doesn't work as well here OSX 2012 hotfix 2 .... Maya 2011 SP1 works fine ...

VanDerGoes
06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Does anyone is having issues with mental ray satellite and maya 2012 (first release-hotfix 2)?
The master machine can connect with slaves but slaves never use 100% of cpu power, well, actually cpu usage is varying quite a bit (about 0-70%) but never never stabilizes at 100%.
No problems with maya 2011 and my network rig has not changed at all!
I'm under win xp 64 but the same happens on win 7 64.
Maya 2012 is still unusable for me since I need mental ray...

BoostAbuse
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Can anyone else confirm that the 2d Pan/Zoom tools for the camera are completely broken in Hotfix 2? They were working fine in the initial release of 2012, but I updated this morning and now they don't do anything (if you have resolution gate turned on, you can see the gate moving around, but the actual view doesn't pan/zoom which makes it entirely useless).

Did this work for you in Hotfix 1 or 2012 no hotfix? I'll have a look at 2012 without Hotfix today and see if it's something that broke with Hotfix 2 or not.

cgbeige
06-15-2011, 02:42 PM

I don't see this. I turned on res gate and pan/zoom works fine in the viewport. Maya 2012 OS X hotfix 2

jipe
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Shawn,

I went straight from the original release of 2012 to Hotfix 2, so I can't speak for Hotfix 1 (Windows 7 x64, by the way). I'm 99% positive it was working in the original release because I made a feature request on Pixar's forums several weeks back (to have them support the Render 2D Pan/Zoom feature). I'll poke around today and file a bug report with something more specific... thanks.

jipe
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Er, weird, it appears to be working now. No idea what changed as I'm still working on the same shot. Yesterday I even restarted Maya and tested in a new scene, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly working. Maybe I'm crazy. I'll test it out some more and make sure it's still working properly.

cgbeige
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
what video card do you have?

Hamburger
06-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Anyone else still get the problem whereby you minimize the render view on a Windows 7 machine yet it's still visible?

2012x64, Win7x64 Hotfix 2 installed.

jipe
06-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Dave: GTX 260. Not exactly a new card, but it's been really stable minus some small artifacts with VP 2.0 and multiple viewports (and I was using the old viewport with the Pan/Zoom tests).

Hamburger: Not seeing that here, same version and OS. Does it happen every time? Only after longer renders?

djx
06-16-2011, 01:48 AM
@Hamburger: No. Have never seen that problem here (same config as you - on a few different cards geforce 9800, quadro fx5500 & fx4800).

David

cgbeige
06-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Dave: GTX 260. Not exactly a new card, but it's been really stable minus some small artifacts with VP 2.0 and multiple viewports (and I was using the old viewport with the Pan/Zoom tests).

Hamburger: Not seeing that here, same version and OS. Does it happen every time? Only after longer renders?

I thought you were talking about OS X? There's no GTX 260 for Mac

jipe
06-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Sorry, mentioned Win 7 in a follow-up post. SePu tested on OS X and had the same problem, which is weird considering it works for me now. Maya's just having fun with us, I think.

Hamburger
06-16-2011, 03:21 AM

All the time, it's quite frustrating although dissapears with Aero off.

I'd prefer to keep Aero on though as I like the features it has.

CerpinTaxt
06-16-2011, 06:59 AM
All the time, it's quite frustrating although dissapears with Aero off.

I'd prefer to keep Aero on though as I like the features it has.

Same here. I experienced it on different workstations at different places I worked. David, you might not notice it if you hide your minimized render view at the bottom of the screen (where it defaults to) but you should see it as soon as you drag it across the screen. Happens to the hypershade as well.

Hamburger
06-16-2011, 11:25 AM
It doesn't happen with the Hypershade on my end. It happens with a torn off viewport though.

I tried it on my home computer (pretty much same set-up. but an older gen card), and everything works perfectly with aero on.

Odd.

tonytouch
06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Anyone else still get the problem whereby you minimize the render view on a Windows 7 machine yet it's still visible?

2012x64, Win7x64 Hotfix 2 installed.

you can delete the windowPrefs.mel from the "myDocuments/maya/prefs" -folder !

i did not do a lot of rendering lately ... but it also sometimes happened to me on older maya-versions .... anyway , i know , deleting the prefs is just a hack around ... or , if you dont want to delete it , change it in Notepad++

Kakkoii
06-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I thought you were talking about OS X? There's no GTX 260 for Mac

Hopefully not going too off topic, and I know he said he has Win7. But I'm just curious about this. Aren't you technically able to still just pop a GTX 260 into the PCI-E slot of a Mac and install the graphic drivers manually (since I'm assuming Mac's update service wouldn't detect it, being not officially supported), since Nvidia's drivers have support for the whole range of cards regardless if Apple official supports them or not. On the PC though you would usually have to edit the install .INF file to add your hardware ID for proper driver installation, is there no Mac equivalent file to edit?

cgbeige
06-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Mac OS X uses EFI, not BIOS so you can't use any card. I've flashed PC cards with a dual EFI/BIOS ROM from a Mac card but you have to solder a larger ROM onto them since the PC ones are only half the size usually. There are some recent Radeon cards that work without flashing them but they only work once the driver loads so there is no boot selector screen available (if you hold alt at startup on a Mac, you can pick your boot volume). This led people to speculate that there was generic PC card support coming from Apple but I spoke to someone at AMD and he said it was just a fluke with some cards and nothing's changed. I know that you can get some vanilla PC cards running but they have issues (the GIGABYTE Radeon 5770 I tested couldn't run Mac Source engine games but everything else worked). Anyway, I can't think of a worse idea than letting people install half-working/unsupported cards and telling them to run pro apps on them so I'm glad it isn't planned. The good news is that you can get Quadro 4000 Mac edition cards for the same price as the Windows ones:

http://static.arstechnica.com/hardware/amazonprice.png

I'm using the Quadro 4000 in 10.7 DP4 and all my complaints about it in my review are addressed. It's stable now and has OpenCL support.

Kakkoii
06-17-2011, 04:52 AM
M....
Alright, thanks for taking the time to clarify as always!

Sapphire
06-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Today, I want to download Maya 2012 hotfix2 but I saw there are
Mental Ray Satellite and Mental Ray Standalone.

Do I need to download any of these Mental Rays?

I am just using one computer.

Thank you.

Sapphire
06-22-2011, 06:53 AM
By the way, I downloaded Maya 2012 hotfix2 but still Maya is showing Maya 2012 without hotfix2.

Where did I go wrong, thanks.

Kakkoii
06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Today, I want to download Maya 2012 hotfix2 but I saw there are
Mental Ray Satellite and Mental Ray Standalone.

Do I need to download any of these Mental Rays?

I am just using one computer.

Thank you.
No.

By the way, I downloaded Maya 2012 hotfix2 but still Maya is showing Maya 2012 without hotfix2.

Where did I go wrong, thanks.

You have to double click the file and install it, not just download it.. If you have already installed it, then it should show "Autodesk Maya 2012 Hotfix 2" at the top of your Maya window. The link to open your program won't change names.

Sapphire
06-22-2011, 02:11 PM
kakkoii

Thanks.

Sapphire
06-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Ok, I downloaded Maya 2012 hotfix2 but :(, when I create a sphere and I want to select it, it takes time maybe 3 to 4 second.

I am using Mac 10.6.2 ,
processor 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
memory 16 GB
Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

By the way, Maya 2011 hotfix3 is working well in the same computer.
Also Maya 2010 is working well.

cgbeige
06-26-2011, 03:44 PM
10.6.2 looks kind of old to me Ė try 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 and see if the problems persist. Otherwise, it might be the licensing issue that causes lags. Reactivate your software.

edit: I just checked and the minimum system requirements on OS X are 10.6.5:

http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/system-requirements/

Argopo
06-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Got around to installing the Hot Fix.

From MayaStation:

Please remember that the Windows version is an incremental update so no need to uninstall Maya before installing the Hotfix. All other platforms are full installs.

This is how it should be across platforms. Thankfully, saves me the headache of re-installing plugins and such.

John Keates
06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
We have three machines here which are identical. The two with the hot fix are very slow to select and move keys in the graph editor.

Is it possible to roll back to the original maya? Is it just a case of installing the software again?

pix3lm0nk
06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
We have three machines here which are identical. The two with the hot fix are very slow to select and move keys in the graph editor.

Is it possible to roll back to the original maya? Is it just a case of installing the software again?

are you absolutely sure the driver versions for the 3 machines are identical?

John Keates
06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
are you absolutely sure the driver versions for the 3 machines are identical?

Yep. Version 267.17. All Quadro 2000. (windows 7)

I just did a test:

Make a cube
Duplicate it up until you have a 16x16x16 mass of cubes.
Key at the beginning and end of the timeline.
Un-select the cubes
Open the graph editor
Select all the keys in the graph editor then move them.

I tried it on the machine with the hot fix and got a spinning blue circle.
Then I tried it on the machine without the hot fix and completed it. I came back to the other machine and it was still thinking. Had to force quit Maya.

John Keates
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I tried an un-install and re-install and Maya no longer claims to be hotfix 2 but the graph editor is still slow.

It didn't seem to un-install completely so maybe something is left over? Or the problem could be un-related to the Hotfix...

John Keates
06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
I did the above test on Maya 2011 and selecting keys took 30 seconds. Maya 2012 hotfix2 on the same machine was still going at 3 mins when I quit it.

Ztix
07-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Im doing some tests in maya 2012 before taking on a fluid job, but I cant get maya 2012 to read cached fluid simulations correct.

Im importing the Nuke3d from the visor, setting the initial state and caching the animation, everything playbacks fine in viewport and in can render any frame in the viewport and it all looks good. However if i batchrender, the renders are all screwed up the nuke is under ground and out of the fluidcontainer. If i save the scene and reload it, the nuke is now under ground in viewport as the batchrender showed.

If i do the excact same thing in maya 2011 everything works fine and renders fine I can save and reload scene and batch render.

If i open this scene that I created and is working in maya 2011, with maya 2012 the same thing happens the nuke is under ground and out of container.

Ive tried on 2 different computers with same result one is saving the project on a network share the other on a local disk.

At work we only have maya 2012 installed.

Any suggestions?

Or is it a known bug in 2012?

Duncan
07-15-2011, 12:31 AM
You found a rather nasty bug. I just looked at it and the problem happens when "keep voxels square" is off and the fluid resolution does not match the size. The resulting cached fluid is getting scaled by the difference in the size and the resolution.... so if the resolution is 40,40,40 and the size 10,10,10 (as it was for that scene) then the size of the cached fluid is 4x too big.

A workaround is to always toggle "keep voxels square" on your fluid. It is the default setting now but it is set off when loading older scenes that didn't have it..

Duncan

Ztix
07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
You found a rather nasty bug. I just looked at it and the problem happens when "keep voxels square" is off and the fluid resolution does not match the size. The resulting cached fluid is getting scaled by the difference in the size and the resolution.... so if the resolution is 40,40,40 and the size 10,10,10 (as it was for that scene) then the size of the cached fluid is 4x too big.

A workaround is to always toggle "keep voxels square" on your fluid. It is the default setting now but it is set off when loading older scenes that didn't have it..

Duncan

Thanks Duncan much appreciated. )

Kasper

tonytouch
07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
have there been any bugfixes in hotfix 3 ? or was it just about the japanese interface ?

looking forward for HF4 ... i am sure there are still some more nasty bugs in maya2012 ...since there are also some nasty tiny bugs in maya2011-SP.

anyway , i think it is heading into the right direcion , but i wish , there were more multithreaded-nodes so far - or if it would be possible to assign certain nodes and node-branches to a certain CPU_core - just to be able to define ... fluid1 is running on core2 and nucleus1 running on core6 ... or one entire character is calculated on core3 / to be able to e.g. animate 4 characters , and each of them is done by a different CPU_core ..... somehow .... i know it is not easy .... but it would speed up the animation-process a lot .

have a nice weekend :)

warnold
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
there were no general bug fixes in hotfix 3, just the addition of simplified Chinese and the help menus

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya2012_hf3readme.pdf

lostparanoia
07-19-2011, 12:02 PM
I get a bug in the hypershade when I mouse over a material and the yellow rectangle saying something like: "mia_material_x1 (mia_material_x)" pops up. if I try to select my material while the mouse pointer is hovering over this rectangle, nothing happens.

Does anybody else have this problem? It's extremely anoying since the yellow rectangle quite often shows up right underneath your mouse pointer.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2011, 12:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.